free hit
counters
Living without air con - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Looking at this again, wonder how others cope with it.

None of my cars have aircon - in hot weather you cook inside, have to wear next to nothing and have all the windows etc open.

I coould have the car's retro fitted but at the expense of a fair bit of weight and cost.....hmmm not totally my peak idea.

I've tried peltier coolers, not powerful enough to cool air - plus they have to exhaust hot air and it's hard to expel it.

I've considered taking apart fridges/freezers and building that into the car but I think compressor current will be a problem and condensation.

I'm in the process of testiing frozen water bottles in a cool box duected to the existing fan in the car. Using sawdust / salt etc you can get the ice to last a fair while but the system degrades over time and you need to find a big freezer to recharge it.

I want to do some trips to southern europe next year

How do non-air conners suffer in excessive heat ?

I love my car the way it is - lumping it up with aircon, not to mention the cost is unappealing to me :)

facebook = [email protected]

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't help with any solution, but there's only a handful of Esprits of your/our generation (late 90's onwards) that didn't have aircon fitted. Most dealers would advise having it specced into the car even if it meant giving it away for free, otherwise residual values are decimated simply for the issues you are now encountering.

It's a rare beasty you have, whether that is a good thing or not is different discussion.

I'd suggest wearing a pair of shorts and fitting a dashboard mounted fan.....

HTH.

solar-cap.gif

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

LOL thanks Bibs - I'll look into it.

I agree with all you say Graham, I even looked at fitting a fridge to the car - heat exchanger under the car and the cooling pipes in the intake and the compressor in the front bay but not sure how viable that is.

I expect retro fitting the system will cost a bomb (kit has to be

You can pick up kits for other cars from

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Its not that easy - the rad has to come out to winkle a heat exchanger into the air flow (skuppers my twin CC rad plants) then a cooling matrix has to be shoved into the air ways. Most of the interior will have to come out, the pipes run and the compressor / electrics fitted into the loom and so on.

I dont reakon you'll get much change from

Here in USA you pretty much have to have aircon, especially in the southeast where it's not only very hot for at least 1/4 of the year but also very humid. I can recall seven years ago I was living in Texas and it was July (temps around 100F and humid like a sauna)...my Acura's aircon had just failed and I had a lot of business-travel to do. Luckily I had just ordered a new VW- but it wasn't to be delivered for a few days. I still giggle when I think that I actually called the dealer to see if they couldn't expedite the delivery, explaining that my old car's A/C had failed...the rep I spoke with was quite sympathetic, but said that nothing could be done to get the car faster.

I have heard that Esprits have really poor ventilation and weak aircon, but a local owner I've befriended disagrees with this- although he's only had the car for a week, so who knows if his initial impression will stick. His car is a 1987 model and has had its' aircon retrofitted to use the newer, more enviro-friendly R134a refrigerant required in USA:

582723280_ahTQ2-M.jpg

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Someone I know is doing up an old DB5 and fitting an electric system - so I'm keeping my ears to the ground on that one - that would save a LOT of hassle.

Problem is - if I have to have aircon retro fitted, I might as well go and buy a V8. I'm craving a bit more power as it is and I have my eyes on one of them gold ones :)

Part of that prob is I've put so much into my little GT3 I can't really think about parting with it, along with my old elise it's been way and above the best car I have ever owned all round (says a lot really) and it is absolutly sorted top to bottom.

Goorr I dunno...........

Nothing's ever simple.

Hello Jonathan.

Just a quick note to say that both of my 84 Turbos have aircon, but I never had a reason to use it. Apart from that I am more than a little worried that it may cause overheating on the engine. Fortunately, both of the cars have the factory sun roof and with that open and the fresh air vents on I have never felt to hot in the cars.

Perhaps having lived in South Africa for 44 years my blood has thinned as I do not seem to feel the heat, but boy, if the temperature here drops below 10 degrees C, I start freezing my butt off.

• Gold FFM

I typically do not use AC while on the track - but have to do something when it's 105+ (track is 125+) -

I add these window panels to the passenger-side of the cars. then add a 2.5" hose to route the air to my helmet or mid-section. I haven't got to the point of using a 'cool shirt' yet...

not the solution for everyone.... but works for the track.

Edited by Quikr

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....

I had the A/C Fixed on my 87 Stevens it is a God send in the heat, the so called running costs and weight are outweighed by the benefits. Running around with windows down etc causes drag and A/C in a traffic jam is a real bonus (beats all the fumes). Mine does not run any hotter, and in the winter it helps with demistting. I would not get a car without it now.

You can get retro kits for kit cars there not expensive.

These do them I think http://www.car-air-conditioning-supplies.co.uk/

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

A properly functioning and maintained ac system will not cause your car to overheat. The later cars (chargecooled onwards & V8) have an inbuilt command from the ECU to switch your ac compressor off when the throttle is fully open, thus giving you every one of your bhp.

I do have air con and in our climate you need it, but, but, but, the real killer is :) you know I liked the removable glass roof panel, right up to the time I had one, if I could change it for a solid I'd do it tomorrow. I keep a pair of gardening gloves in the boot because if you leave it in the sun it's too hot to touch.

Now I'm sure all that was very helpful, unless you don't have a glass roof.

Roger :D

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

I hate being hot.

:D

But i have not had a car with aircon since 1997. I never got it fixed on the

SE, the Elise does not have it, my S3 did not have it and Vicki's car does not

have it either.

It's not like we live in bermuda.

It's a potato sack weight of luxury that will make your car heavy forever at the

expense of the few weeks a year you can almost, quite, nearly, 'justify' having it

on there. As you say yourself mate, at a time you are talking about swapping

wheels to save weight, adding something like this goes the totally opposite way

to (what i understood to be) your ongoing work.

:)

Hi,

My GT3 doesn't have aircon and I don't really miss it. If it's that hot I take the roof out, have the fan on full and the drivers window down, plenty of draft then, although a hat is needed if you don't want your head to burn! :) It just one thing less that you have to worry about going wrong.

My Ka has air con, hardly ever use it, the most time it's on is just to keep the system free running, not because I want it on. I find a lot of systems aren't that good, the best air con I ever had in a car was my old Ford Granada 2.8i Ghia X, it was proper cold, so cold ice would form on the Evaporator like your fridge freezer, and no it wasn't faulty, it was seriously cold.

Owen.

Sport 350 has air con and I use it most of the time. In the winter it conditions the air (de-humidifies it)

I have climate control in the everyday car (Astra) maintains the interior temp at whatever I set it to.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

Unless you are tracking the car outright, the weight of A/C vs performace is zilch. You cannot possibly drive that fast (legally) to make sod all difference in the real world. Lets face it in this country most of the time your stuck in traffic or there are cameras about.

Yes it is a luxury but on a boiling hot day, stuck in traffic I know I'd rather have it than not.

Amateurs built the Ark

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Am i one of the few that only takes the Lotus out at times when i won't

be stuck in traffic or crawling along in a hot summer workday rush hour?

In this scenario the need for aircon is due to a Lotus being wasted (IMO!).

:D

I thought that kind of crap mileage is what day cars are meant for?

:)

My Audi A6's A/C clutch plate fell off last year.

Up until then, I had the AC on constantly.

Now, I dont. Just open the window, alter the blower and, most of the time, its fine.

Infact, I feel mush more 'at one' with the environment, rather than cruising about in a soulless german fridge.

Of course, I'd rather it hadnt fallen off, but at

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

I used to think that way.

I've only had air con in the V8 I had, all my other cars were std but I want to start driving it in southern europe becuase I can't fly anymore in planes so cars / trains and boats are all thats left.

Having just got back from the med I can tell you - without aircon in a car like an Esprit you'd be in a lot of bother and you wont have an enjoyable journey to say the least - in Monaco esp the humidity was so high, we were pouring with sweat (luuuuvly).

I love the light GT3 concept - mine has to be one of the lightest esprits around and it's very nippy but at a cost.

I'm 1/2 tempted to buy a meaty DC inverter and a portable unit you have in an office, take the tools to it and then winkle it in where he spare wheel went and run a duct out through the floor space.

I mean, how hard can it be ?

Edited by Jonathan

Could be done, But I think the power needed would be huge. I'll have a look at the one I have at work and see what the specs are for you. Also they are heavy, think it would be easier to retro fit the car bits.

Did know one on here see the Top Gear trip where May had the Aston with no A/C and the other two had A/c in the Porker and Lambo. He sweated like Fred Goodwin at a May Day riot.

Amateurs built the Ark