free hit
counters
Death of a tennent - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
red vtec

Death of a tennent

My Girl Friend has a flat that she rents out, sadly the Elderly Chap who rented it has passed away in Hospital last weekend.

On a Practical level what do we do? He had no next of Kin and his possesions are still in the flat and he was also on housing benefit. I understand that benefit will cease on the day he died. But what does she do with his possions as on a business level she needs to get the Flat rerented as the income has now ceased.

We have contacted the Council with little effect.

I don't mean this to sound uncaring, but does anyone know what we can/should do? As she cannot afford to lose months of rental why his posseions sit in the flat.

Thanks

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Not sure what your laws are like over there but here, you would need to put his belongings in storage for a reasonable amount of time in case someone comes to collect it and then get reimbursed by them for the storage. At some point depending on legal requirements, you could then dispose of the stuff to recoup your expenses.

1995 S4s

My Girl Friend is going to try and contactthe council again today and see if she can get any advice.

Amateurs built the Ark

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Was it a private agreement of were the council involved in direct payment of his rent? Was there some kind of contract with the council, otherwise you're likely to be on your own as fair as their assistance goes.

I'm afraid I've no idea legally what you need to/can do on the matter but to clean out the flat and put any items in to storage would seen the best idea to get the flat back on the market again to minimise any lost rent. Unfortunately in these sort of situations you are likely to loose out financially, I'd suggest going to an organisation such as this http://www.landlordaction.co.uk/advice.htm for advice (I've never used them and have no idea about them, just the top of a google search).

It was a Private agreement.

I'll try the site you recommended, thanks for your help

Amateurs built the Ark

I'd 'phone or visit your local Citizen's Advice Bureau.

Just because you can, does'nt mean you should.

My mum and dad had a longstanding tennant in the house they rented next door to them.

The lady in there went loopy and never went out, to the point my mum was doing all her

shopping (mum has parkinsons so thats hardly great).

With the lack of kin to do anything, my dad got a solicitor to take 'power of attorney', and

it was this Solicitor who organised getting the house cleared of all her stuff and the lady herself

into a nursing home. Presumably he was paid by the state or the sale of her estate.

Mum and dad took the lady's cat in. It had orange eyes.

Were it me i'd be off to the solicitor.

:)

Presumably, if he has died intestate, his belongings go to the state. Therefore, CAB or the local council would help you out. I dont think you need a lawyer, just a state representative to finalise his estate in the absence of a family.

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Orange eyes? Was it possessed? :o

Marge: Homer, I don't want you driving around in a car you built yourself.

Homer : Marge, you can either sit there complaining, or you can knit me some seat belts...

Sounds like it was 'repossessed'!!!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Just checked, and the dishiest fella on TV is still alive thank god:

tennant.jpg

:o

Was a ginger biscuity colour cat, his eyes were orange and when they

caught the sun they looked like fire. he was a tail-less stray she used to

go feed when she was well, we caught him and took him to her house when

she got ill. he scratched the hell out of her for months but she tamed him,

well, as tame as you can resonably expect. He rotted away from the inside

out until i myself pursuaded my folks to take him to the vet, who insisted he

should be put down as he was in great pain. She never knew.

She loved him though, and before she lost the plot he was all she had.

:respect:

This thread digression was bought to you by Paul C

I'd open a window or two in the flat. :o

Joking apart to top it all he was a horder, we have been up and cleaned out the perishables, and it stinks of pee :respect:

next time i'm wearing a boiler suit and mask.

went to CAB last night and they were pretty helpful. so fingers crossed.

Amateurs built the Ark

Without wishing to sound sarky, why do you need the advice of CAB or the Council? Surely people have been renting accommodation since Adam and Eve so there must be some precedent, and all this would have been set out in the terms of the rental agreement which the tenant signed.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

I have been a tennant numerous times, and signed tennancy agreements. Not once do I recall any small print about what happens to all my worldly goods should I snuff it.

If this person had no will, are they not intestate?

Just because you can, does'nt mean you should.

I've been a tenant many many times and never read anything about what would happen in the event of my death. Googling doesn't bring much up either so whilst it no doubt has happened many times before infomation on the subject doesn't seem obvious.

More or less, Paul. No rent for "x" number of weeks = goodbye.

You can't do that, if we chuck his stuff away and then a missing relative comes along and asks where the Gold bars are that he had for example, we have big trouble. We have spoken to Social Srrvices and they are coming on Monday.

Amateurs built the Ark