free hit
counters
Would you lend your Pride & Joy to a complete stranger? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Bibs

Would you lend your Pride & Joy to a complete stranger?

I did!

I had a call last week, a chap was looking for an Esprit for a 'Pretty Woman' gag with his wife to be. He wanted to pick her up in the Lotus, drive her to a cinema he's hired especially and treat her to a romantic day of love and super unleaded. I PM'd a couple of chaps with silver SE's but with little time said that whatever happened, he'd have a car. I did mention that in Pretty Woman the girl was a hooker, he didn't seem fussed!

Tuesday morning, I left home @ 7am to head up to out rendezvous. Nice guy Jon, works for Mercedes, erm, Daimler and was a good man with pure intention. With his passport, driving licence, cards, keys and everything else (including fully comp insurance for the day!) I'd asked for we had a nice chat and swapped 'cop' stories and he took off under strict 'bend it and die' instruction.

To be fair, he drove it very, very carefully. I followed in his MB and he drove slower than Owen. Good man, respect. His other half's face was the icing on the cake, she looked so pleased and I'm happy to be involved in a small way in making a dream come true. Feels good.

I must admit, I had many second thoughts though but this email from Sue made it worthwhile! :o

Hey you guys.. what can I say!

I am not often left too speechless, but it happens! Thank you all so much for everything you did to work with my gorgeous Jon to make everything happen in his little romantic surprise yesterday. If you could seen my smile and tears you'd known it had been worth it.

Bibs, thank you so much for driving all the way down just to let Jon squeeze himself into your Lotus! Sure you can drive it much better though! It was a fantastic gesture from you to take up your own time to do this for me. Made me laugh so much when realized was seeing Pretty Woman and the link to the Lotus. Thanks you were awesome Bibs.. and we'll take you up on that cup of tea and you can show Jon how to drive the car properly !

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Did you give it the once over with the hoover before giving him the keys?

Marge: Homer, I don't want you driving around in a car you built yourself.

Homer : Marge, you can either sit there complaining, or you can knit me some seat belts...

Nice! I am sure it gave you a nice warm and fuzzy feeling all over Bib's. Good on yer mate. :o:respect:

Must say I might have asked to be included in his will as well to let him drive my P&J.

Heaven is where the police are British, the chefs Italian, the mechanics German, the lovers French and it is all organized by the Swiss. Hell is where the police are German, the chefs British, the mechanics French, the lovers Swiss and it is all organized by the Italians.

You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot

You think professional is expensive, just wait until you pay for amateur.

Good on ya :o

Not many would have done that .......................... me included

I hope your faith in humanity continues to be repaid

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

Was she wearing a mini-skirt and boots just like in the movie ?

Too many Toys are never enough !

No Way!!

Happy to help out with chauffeurring (did a wedding in the Carlton for a couple I'd never met after a cold call) - but hand over the keys??? I think not!

Still maybe I'll never know the joy felt by them and you!!

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

Don't think I could hand over the keys to a stranger.

In fact the only other person to drive my P&J (other than during routine services) is the guvnor himself.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

Good on ya Bibs!

Depends on who's asked. If they realy realy loved Esprits, had started shaving and didn't own a chaved up Nova - I'd like to think I oblige, but like you I'd want to meet them first, stand up to my full 6 foot 6, fully inflate chest and mention the words nuts and vice in the same sentence if it just happend to have any sort of shape change.

Good on ya mate.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Bibs you are one in a million. It's a lovely thing you did, but I don't think I could do it myself.

Just because you can, does'nt mean you should.

OMG what a big ask...

and took a big man to step up to the plate.

Must have been a delightful surprise. Well done.

DanR

Well done Bibs!

I don't think I could do it myself. I don't give the keys even to my workmates, and I have known them for years.

Well done Bibs, I don't think I'd let my car go without being in the passenger seat. I've let one or two strangers have a go of my car but they have been customers of PNM and I've always been in the passenger seat.

It seems that it was worth it on this ocassion and this guy will remember this memory for years to come.

It could have been the other way round though if the car never returned or not in one piece.

We'd arranged at his expense fully comp insurance and I followed him in his

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

I dont think its much of a risk if he drove it like a granny, it's not as if he was going to rag it senseless.

When ever I've bought my car into work people take the mik and stuff and I've always offered the keys out to who ever wanted a drive and then they've all turned it down in fear lol - and some of them hold top driving licences !

Problem with letting someone drive your car is when they want to boot it and they have no experience of it or a rwd car without driving aids. I have 1st hand experience at how someone can drive an Esprit quite sedatley and then it go completely wrong with and ill judged drip of power (and I'm not talking about flooring it either) so I can vouch for some people's fears.

Having said that, there are only a few people I'd let drive my car enthusiasticly.

facebook = [email protected]

I must admit I don't know if I would. I suppose like Bibs said, the guy had sorted full comp and had his passport there etc so pretty honest type that way.

Getting the email must have given you a good feeling.

What bothers me about all this is how, sadly, we tend to think the worst instead of thinking 'this guy seems alright'.

It is a sad indictment of people now.

Kudos Bibs. :o

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

I don't think I would lend to a complete stranger, no. Very big of Bibs, though, very nice.

Christ on a bike Bibs is there anything you won't do to get a new member?

Erm... Bibs needs a new member? :yes:

"At home, I have a King Sized bed. Now, I don't know any Kings, but I would imagine if one were to come over, he would be comfortable." -Mitch Hedberg

I know it was insured and you were in his Merc but I still think it was either a brave move on your part or a great sign of confidence. I'm sure there was always a nagging feeling of "What if?"

Still it was a very nice thing to do. Good on yer, Bibs.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Hey, they let Richard Gere drive the dang thing.

Then again, look what happened to him in 1994's "Intersection." :P:(:sick:

And I let the PO's drive mine for years. Don't I get a "good on yer" for that? :yes:

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Just remembered this day for some reason, fond memories! :)

Would anyone on here now lend their car to a stranger for him to romanticly act out a rich guy/hooker movie?

Evora NA

Would we get to watch or film it? The hooker action bit that is! :D

The act itself, I don't know, it's a tough one that would have to be based on the individual enquiring and the significance of the occasion.

Chunky Lover

As you may remember, I took Peter's rather lovely S2 Esprit to Brands last year for the Festival.  I've met Peter a few times, but we don't really "know" each other. 

Driving his car was an absolute pleasure and it really took me back to how my old S1 used to feel. However, I've never been more nervous about being behind the wheel of someone else's car. I've driven many exotic and expensive cars over the years, some irreplaceable and some historic, some on track and some on the road.

Yet being entrusted with Peter's car was extremely nerve wracking as this wasn't just another entry on a balance sheet, this was someone's pride and joy. The culmination of many hours of work and sacrifice to produce a beautiful example of the model was plain to see, yet Peter was more than willing to let a relative stranger loose at the controls.

He lives about 60-70 mile from Brands so there was plenty of potential opportunity to stretch the car's legs and see what it was all about - but I don't think I revved it above 4000rpm or went much faster than about 65mph. Gentle throttle, gentle braking, gentle gear changes.  My eyes were out on stalks the whole time and I had a self imposed "No Entry" zone of at least 4 car lengths when on the motorway. 

Jeeze, can you imagine the phonecall? "Sorry Peter, but..."

Sometimes it's preferable to be in a car you actually own! :hrhr:

• Like 1

Absolutely no way... 

I let a family member drive my Elise... once! He nailed it from the off, at first I thought he was just being a douchebag for the first 50 yards, then he really floored it into a serious bend without having a clue how the car would behave, break, handle etc. I joked ( while terror began to set in... ), about giving it a little respect but to no avail. A couple of minutes later I told him to pull over and the  :censored: er was actually miffed I'd stopped his fun. Utter cock and someone I'd trusted completely beforehand. 

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

My brother did the same when he desperately needed to borrow a car for a date as his was broken for some reason, many many years ago. He ragged the tits off it showing off and jumped it over a hump back bridge and smashed the sump it. Then continued to drive it for the next few days, ignoring the fact the oil light was constantly flickering on, as servicing his cock was more important than coming clean about the fact he'd been a [email protected] When I saw the damage, and take him I needed the keys back, he got really pissey with me..... A few weeks later, despite fitting a new sump and oil pickup pipe, and straightening up the front end that was caved in, surprisingly the engine sized on the way to seeing my own girlfriend...... Sat on the M50 for a couple of hours before the tow of terror scared the shit out of me and I had to replace the engine.

Zero remorse or money came from my brother..... Very disappointed. He lied and said it was an accident on a very bumpy road, but I'd found out he'd been gloating about how high he jumped in the pub.....!

Years later, about 10 at a guess, I get a brand new Vectra, she was my pride and joy and I'd been talking about how nice it was to drive and surprisingly,moor a diesel, how quick it was. Anyway, later we go out and my brother says, do you mind if I drive it? To which I said, ok, as I was going to be in the car anyway.... Off the drive, down the hill and we are on the red line, stone cold..... Gobsmacked......

I've not lent a car out to him since and I'd be reluctant too if there ever came a desperate situation again....

Chunky Lover