free hit
counters
Source for SE signal/wiper switches? - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Source for SE signal/wiper switches?

Based on what few 1980's British cars I have seen in Canadian wrecking yards, I am assuming that Lotus "borrowed" the signal and wiper stalk switches from either a mid 1980's Rover SD-1 (the angular Rover with the alloy V8 engine) or the last generation Triumph Spitfire (rubber bumber version).

Can anyone tell me if these guesses are correct? Does either part exactly swap over without mods?

AP

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on what few 1980's British cars I have seen in Canadian wrecking yards, I am assuming that Lotus "borrowed" the signal and wiper stalk switches from either a mid 1980's Rover SD-1 (the angular Rover with the alloy V8 engine) or the last generation Triumph Spitfire (rubber bumber version).

Can anyone tell me if these guesses are correct?  Does either part exactly swap over without mods?

AP

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was asking the same thinh a couple of weeks ago, my guess was something like ans astra or something from opel, they are very similar but i just wasn

My 1989 has the thin and "extra cheap-looking" generic BL signal switches. I'll call these the earlier style switches.

After the introduction of the S4 (or perhaps a few months earlier . . . I'm not exactly sure) Lotus used the modular, thick-armed "chunky" signal switches sourced from UK-made GM cars. These switches mount by snapping-in from behind the steering wheel. The earlier switch used a circular ring clamp that mounts slightly behind the steering wheel to the steering column support.

I think your car has the latter style. Check the various cross-reference links because someone in the UK has certainly has found the source for the S4 switches.

AP