free hit
counters
Help needed with steering rack please - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Paul Coleman

Help needed with steering rack please

I went to replace the rubber gaiters on my steering rack today and noticed lots of small bits on the opposite end to the pinion...

dscf0001k.jpg

I believe they are what's left of a plastic bush which was in the end of the rack here...

dscf0002w.jpg

However, having rung around a couple of suppliers I've been unable to find a bush or even a rack rebuild kit of any sort. Paul Matty don't stock the rack (they told me it's obsolete) and don't offer an exchange unit either. SJ still have the rack listed in their catalogue but it's

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I managed to get a new plastic bush from these people... http://www.steering-racks.co.uk/

So I now need an idiot's guide to stripping and rebuilding the steering rack - anybody know of such a thing?

Thanks, Paul.

Paul:

Dragging up an old thread here, but upon takeing my front susp apart to fit new arb bushes, springs and shockers, i notice some play in the, what i would call, inner tie rod. In other words, i can wiggle the wheel left and right a little, sthe steering wheel stays still but the rod arm going into gaitor clunks around.

Anyway i havent dissembled yet, but im hoping its just te plastic bush that has dissintigrated. Did u have the same play in yours before dissasembly?

Marcus

Ps excuse spelling, im on my stupid phone in garage.

I managed to get a new plastic bush from these people... http://www.steering-racks.co.uk/

So I now need an idiot's guide to stripping and rebuilding the steering rack - anybody know of such a thing?

Thanks, Paul.

To be honest I didn't check it on the car so I can't answer your question. However, if I had I would imagine it would have been pretty bad!!

Paul.

Paul

I doubt it will be of much help, but since the early Esprits had front suspension and steering from the Opel Ascona A, it might be an idea to search parts for those as well?

And speaking of the Opel parts, I'm rebuilding an S2 and since it's not easy to get hold of a LHD steering rack for the Esprit, I'm thinking of finding a complete Opel-rack at the breakers. But to be sure that it's really the same item, is it possible that you take a picture of your rack and post it?

Geir

My bushing (holds the rack inside the rack "outer" tube just before it exits to hook to the inner tie rod end) was also disintegrated.

I fretted for a while about replacing the whole rack, but managed to find a replacing bushing from rd enterprises here in the USA (http://www.rdent.com/) for $20 or $30. So, if some parts dude in the USA has them, you MUST be able to find them in the UK. Replacing it was a bit of a witch. Had to dissasemble the inner tie rod assembly. There is a small pin hammered in at the factory which locks the lock ring against the inner tie rod "captive" cup/nut (this will all be meaningless unless you are looking the the rack). Anyways, carefully drill that out and you can get the inner tie rod apart. You need to dissasemble that to slide the new bushing over the rack end and into the end of the rack.

Problem I encountered was that the rack factory had done an over zealous job of pressng the little lock pin in, and had messed the threads up on the rack end. The thread is something like a 14mm 1.25 or 1.5 I dont remember, but its big and not normally found in the laymans tap and die kit. Luckily a friend of mine owns an import shop and had such a die. Cleaned that up and reassembled with the new bushing in place (which was a VERY tight fit over the inner rack end) and reassembled it all.

Another note....count the number of threads showing from the lock nut to the last thread on the rack so you an assemble to the same position and keep about the right tension (compression!) on the inner tie rod ball joint. Too tight and it will wear the plastic cup, too loose, and the rack will click and also rapidly destroy itself. I couldnt find specs but did have the brains to count the threads! Lastly, rather than drive a new locking pin (which would involved drilling a new hole) i chose to use loctite instead. If you see an orange esprit on I80 next month with 60 degress of tow out, you will know the loctite wasn't a good idea and you should replaced the locking pin!

I will be doing a "string" alignment this afternoon for the first time too...will be intersting to see how well that works. Plenty of write ups at places like: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1093484

Marcus

On 15/07/2009 at 19:04, Paul Coleman said:

Thanks, Paul.

Paul,

I am i need of this plastic bush. I know its a while ago but do you have a part number from that company i could use?

Just now, woozie said:

Paul,

I am i need of this plastic bush. I know its a while ago but do you have a part number from that company i could use?

No sorry I don't. I refurbished my rack but in the end replaced it.

• Like 1