free hit
counters
new bushes etc - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

new bushes etc

i think this has been covered a while back,i am going to change the front end springs and shockers after chrimbo,ive been driving around almost every day since i bought it a month ago, The car just feels abit loose at the front i don't know if its the shockers or steering rack or even ball joints etc, anyway ive got a price for shocks and springs ,My question is are poly bushes less or more flexi than the rubber ( does it afect the ride ie more harsh ) i was considering using poly throuhout the car

thanx nigel

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Polyurethane excells rubber in just about anything I can think of for this application. It's stronger in every respect, more restiastant to perishing etc but it is more expensive.

I've got to do mine as well when I remove the whole suspension, the effects of the suspension should pass through the car more effectivly (rubber being more flexible will give un-desirable play in the suspension comparable to say not doing a bolt up as tight). I am expecting the car to become more precise and accurate as opposed to getting more harsh to drive.

facebook = [email protected]

Not sure how true this is but seem to remember a while ago on the Yahoo S1S2S3 list they were discussing this. IIRC the view from some of the experts there was that the car was originally designed around the compliance and flexibility of rubber bushes. I really can't remember if this is accurate but just a thought? If it's true then we're back to the old discussion about whether an upgrade brings an improvement over what Lotus could engineer originally. My own view is stick with what Lotus did originally. Any current probs are probably due to aging & wearing components and a properly set up "as new" to lotus specs should be sufficient to impress.

Just my 2p worth.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Not sure how true this is but seem to remember a while ago on the Yahoo S1S2S3 list they were discussing this. IIRC the view from some of the experts there was that the car was originally designed around the compliance and flexibility of rubber bushes. I really can't remember if this is accurate but just a thought? If it's true then we're back to the old discussion about whether an upgrade brings an improvement over what Lotus could engineer originally. My own view is stick with what Lotus did originally. Any current probs are probably due to aging & wearing components and a properly set up "as new" to lotus specs should be sufficient to impress.

Just my 2p worth.

Regards

Mat Kutub

1979 S2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Itend to agree with Mats view. I want to upgrade my esprit to adjustable shocks. So am now waiting for the new Lotus spec ones. I was considering Polyurethane bushes to replace my now aging ones. However, I was at PNM earlier this year. Peter showed me a set of these that had been put on a Late S4 or V8(can't remember which). These had failed after only a few miles on this car. Pete told me at they were working on these, so I don't know if this has been resolved since. So it is certainly a good point made at how the handling was originally designed around the flexible bushes. Best bet, in my eyes now, is to replace with original type.

Daz

B)

The need for speed can be found with a Lotus

the polyurethane bushings definitely outperform rubber in every property. milled is preferred over cast, but the bushings will break

down at temps over 212F. the bushings Marcus sells have a durometer (measure of hardness or flexibility) slightly greater than the OEM rubber.

this should give close to the feel that the car had when it left the factory but last longer.

I work at a rubber manufacturing plant and have spoken to the other engineers at length about this. I can't see getting the bushings up to 212F unless I put the car on the track and maybe not then.

I will upgrade to the PUK bushings when Lotus releases the new suspension kits

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND

I can't see getting the bushings up to 212F unless I put the car on the track and maybe not then.

I will upgrade to the PUK bushings when Lotus releases the new suspension kits

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

212F !! LOL I hope not - not with a metal heat sink (ie the suspension parts) around them. Suspension bushes sometimes fail becuase they are not fitted correctly, bolts are tightened up and this graunches the bushing when the weight is back on the suspension - I'd expect many bad stories of Poly bushes to come from that.

Whether or not they designed the car specifically with rubber is something I wouldn't personally know although I find it a wee bit hard to swallow, if it is the case I'd be interested in knowing the reason why.

facebook = [email protected]

Hi Nigel,

If you are about to change the front suspension, you would be mad not to wait for the new suspension to be released by Lotus. This will be an improvement over the original and also last a lot longer. See LEW for details if this is not what you are already planning.

I think Lotus are also planning on testing some new bushes in the new year as well so its probably worth checking with them about this as well. Lotus know a thing or two about suspension and I think it would be a bad move to mix and match bushes and suspension from different suppliers.

Alan

Remember there have been a variety of suspension changes over the years.

This has been driven by Extra Wieght, more performance, higher customer expectation and new technology.

There is always room for improvement/change.

When i changed the shocks, the best setting I ended up with was very close to the lotus settings (for the road). However i can now set the car up for the track. Lotus (any manufacturere) always have to settle for a compromise.

Change your bushes to Poly if you want and then let us know the results (thats what these forums are about).

Remember that all tightening of the bushes must be done with the wheels on the floor and the car at the correct ride hieght. (preferably with a driver on board) If you are to avoid the bushes being destroyed within a few miles.

Good luck and happy motoring

AJ