free hit
counters
Esprit S4 water temperature, 2 different values! - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
nicknick68

Esprit S4 water temperature, 2 different values!

Dear all,

in summer time (every summer) I get the water temperatur tell tale ON when engine is hot, this does not happen in winter times.

The gauge is always below 90

Edited by nicknick68

PERFECTION IS NOT A GOAL, BUT A SYSTEMIC ANOMALY !

ESPRIT S4 2.0 L - MY 1994 : 2003 rear lights with LEDs, TAROX front brakes, 330 mm / 10 pistons, CDA air Filter, RAM AIR CONERSION, CLUTCH red hose upgrade, Eprom #10 from PUK-Germany, TAROX brake discs, adjustable dampers, POP OFF, High Performance Primary and Secondary Injectpors, Electirc Water pump, hand made 4 pipes exhaust stainless steel, oil catch tank with air filter, Custom interiors made by CUSTOMINTERIORS Parma in double colour, 3 additional coloured gauges (turbo, vacuum, gas).

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Nicola,

Your car has 2 temp. sensors. One is only for the gauge and the other one is for the ECU (thats the one you see in Freescan) and thats also the one that counts !

The fans should come on with 88

Marcus

Yes Marcus,

this is what actually happens (about fans and tell tale).

I am wondering which is the real temp of the water.

Radiator has been cleaned last year (and I do not make a lot of Km, maybe 5000 last year) and has been replaced in 2002, so I cannot think is blocked inside, in the hoses).

Water is circulating well, I saw it.

I am going to check with a thermometer once the water is hot and compare temperature with ECM read.

Just wanna know if is a common behaviour in S4.

Nick

PERFECTION IS NOT A GOAL, BUT A SYSTEMIC ANOMALY !

ESPRIT S4 2.0 L - MY 1994 : 2003 rear lights with LEDs, TAROX front brakes, 330 mm / 10 pistons, CDA air Filter, RAM AIR CONERSION, CLUTCH red hose upgrade, Eprom #10 from PUK-Germany, TAROX brake discs, adjustable dampers, POP OFF, High Performance Primary and Secondary Injectpors, Electirc Water pump, hand made 4 pipes exhaust stainless steel, oil catch tank with air filter, Custom interiors made by CUSTOMINTERIORS Parma in double colour, 3 additional coloured gauges (turbo, vacuum, gas).

FWIW, my S4 is the same way. Gauge reading rarely goes over 70 which I know is not correct as it still reaches max boost without any problem.

My S4s was the same until I put in a digital gauge and new sender which now reads a few degrees higher than the manifold sensor as shown in Freescan.

1995 S4s

The dash board gauge is vauge at best, the ECU should be spot on.

The fans should kick in at 92 degrees, are they ?

One way to check is with a laser thermometer and shoot it at the manifold to check the temp - they are very accurate and handy to have.

Sounds like the car is getting hot though...possibly the thermostat in the pump could be damaged ? or something restricting the water.

Make sure the temperature reading is correct 1st, then I think the best bet is to start taking the cooling system apart - you dont want it overheating.

facebook = [email protected]

I'd flush the system first, it's unlikely to be the cause but you're guessing until you've done it.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)