free hit
counters
Windscreen wanted - Topics - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Windscreen wanted

Hi Guys

I am trying to locate a new windscreen, having tried O'Briens, Auto-glass etc with no luck. If I have to order one in from England I will, but I could do without another long wait for delivery. If you have any ideas or know someone who can supply a 1988 Steven's Esprit windscreen please let me know.

cheers.

Too many Toys are never enough !

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve,

I queried Novus when I first got my S4 and they said they were able to supply a windscreen to suit my esprit. Not sure about an '88 as I am not sure if the screen shape changed. Would give them a go though.

Best of luck,

Michael.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Hi Guys

A local windscreen guy found me one from a supplier in Sydney in the end, comes in at $540 fitted. It's being installed on Friday, Blue slip booked in for next Monday so fingers crossed.

Wow - quick turnaround Steve.

Good luck with the roadworthy. That was the most stressful day i've ever had. In the end the guy was really nice and the test only took all of 10 minutes.

Just carry lots of cash, cos the governement always seems to want more when registering a car for the first time.

BTW - who's carrying the cost of the replacement screen ??

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

Hi Simon

I was going to claim for the screen on the insurance that I took out with the freight people. There was to be an excess payable of 200 pounds and also a 2-3 week wait for processing, so in the end I decided that for an extra $150 I would just pay the money and be done with it - less hassle all round.

You're right about the government wanting more and more - on top of the import duty and GST, I was charged $575 for customs to value the vehicle and clear it, $595 for a steam clean and fumigation ordered by AQIS, the Engineering inspection and certificate are $600, then there's the stamp duy and rego at the RTA, another $1200, Blue slip inspection...... it just keeps adding up. On the up-side, customs forgot to convert the pounds to dollars so I only paid about half of the duty and GST that I had budgeted for - you win some, you lose some.

I'm very happy with the car though, it seems to have escaped the usual UK rust and is very, very clean in the most unlikely places. Brake lines, suspension components, headlight motors, inside the doors etc all very clean. It's a credit to the previous owner.

Thats a very nice price on the windscreen. Mine is showing its age slightly (few very very small chips and a very small scratch on the interior facing side of the screen) I was getting nervous about having to replace it soon and the possible cost in thousands.

Your S4 looks sooooooo nice. I hope you dare drive it down to melbourne one day. Esprit owners down here a a little thin on the ground When I had my S3 out on the road a few months ago peoples eyes almost popped out of their heads as she went passed them haha! :D

I hope you dare drive it down to melbourne one day.

Was thinking of doing it last year, But didn't.

I do drive it every week without fail - be a crime not to.

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

OK, New windscreen fitted and here's the details for anyone who needs one in the future

The glass is manufactured by P.G.I. and their agents and distributors are available at www.protector.com.au. I used their local agent called Austral Windscreens, they had the screen installed within 3 days of calling them for a quote. They told me that their office in Sydney had two in stock.

The new windscreen has a progressive tinted band at the top, which can only be a good thing unless you're 6'6" tall in which case it might obscure your view a bit. Price $540 fitted including GST. Much better than a 10 week wait and $1200 from England which is what O'Brien glass had to offer.

• 2 weeks later...