free hit
counters
Which is best colour ? - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Which is best colour ?

Hi I am new to this forum, I have had my Esprit 10 years and have been doing a massive modification project on in. The engine has been replaced by a ford mustang cobra 4.6 V8 32 valve quad cam with a eaton m112 supercharger (600 bhp) which drives through a porche boxster 6 speed gearbox. At present the engine and gearbox are mounted and am waiting for the custom drive-shafts to be delivered.

I am going to repaint it soon and can not decide what colour to paint her..... so I made a video..... take a look

Which colour do you think looks best ????

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't think the colour matters. From the sound of what you've shoehorned into the back, all anyone will ever see is a blur!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Will post some pics of her later today, the gearchange was a nightmare to do as i wanted to keep the original lever so hade to make a "translator" as the esprit gearchange cable both move when you go across the gate, not like any other car i have ever seen !!!!!

Good man, I'm sure we'll all love to see the pics so don't be shy with them :blink:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Pics of the project will be taken in the morning !!!!!!

I thought I would give you some more details of the project.

The engine and gearbox fit within the standard engine bay ( there is 1 inch clearance either side), on the rear the removable cross member above the gear box has been replaced with a tubular section that is raised about 1/2 inch to allow the gearbox to fit. The centre line of the differential is in the exact same position as when fitted with the 4 cyinder turbo ( to ensure no issues with driveshafts).

On the weight side of things the engine/gearbox is the same as the Lotus units ( the engine is a all aluminium block and heads)

I am planning on only using about 8 psi of boost from the eaton m112 superchager ( when you look at the interior mirror all you can now see is the pulley ang charger-----fantastic view)

I am using a standard Cobra throttle body which has been machined and fits directly to the charger ( when you look through the rear glass the throttle stares back at you I would love to be able to run it without a filter and paint them red)

I have had to modify the tailgate by removing a portion of the inner section to allow for clearance of the charger, the glass has also had to be removed.

For fuel and ignition I am going to be using a Adaptronic ECU http://www.adaptronic.com.au/products-e420c.php.

It is a really trick piece of kit with adjustable traction control and lauch control, it is also "adaptable" so will self tune

This is the program I have used to calculate the potential top speed based on engine speed

gearspeedslotus.xls

For those that dont like to open attachments it gives the following based on max engine speed of 6250 rpm

1st- 45 mph

2nd- 78 mph

3rd- 113 mph

4th- 141 mph

5th- 169 mph

6th- 205 mph

This is using a final drive of 3.0:1 and 275/45 18 tyres

Edited by cobraesprit

Welcome to the Forum...............Orange :getmecoat:

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Paul,

That thing in the back looks #ucki# awesome pal, its just crazy and i love it! I can just imagine the snarl when all that air get sucked in the supercharger! One thing that i did notice notice though was the rear chassis cross brace is just a straight bar on the top, The torque that you will be producing it may be worth putting the old one back on and welding/converting it. I cut mine out and welded a box beam on the top as your one will not help with chassis flex and may twist and damage it! Im no chassis expert but im sure there are people on hear that could advis eyou better but i would definatly look into this part further.

Love the car cannot wait to see this in the flesh :getmecoat: As for colours have not got a clue I would still love this car if it was painted brown!

Regards danny

A

Guest Slegs

Great minds think alike!!!! I also am doing major modifications to my esprit... Instead of the cobra engine, I went with a 2007 Nissan 350Z engine with a super charger. I also purchased a boxster 6 speed tranny. I need some advice and details on the adaptor plate set up you used! Can you help guide me with this? Any information would be a God send... Thanks!

John

I had my frame modified to accept a boxster shifter. Then I installed a Schnell short shift kit (30% reduced throw over the standard porsche). Then I had the frame sand blasted and powder coated bright silver and clear coated. It is currently resting in the dining room (which lead to a divorce bc she made me choose... she will be missed).

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv60/sl...70/105_1020.jpg

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv60/sl...70/105_1026.jpg

John

I had my frame modified to accept a boxster shifter. Then I installed a Schnell short shift kit (30% reduced throw over the standard porsche). Then I had the frame sand blasted and powder coated bright silver and clear coated. It is currently resting in the dining room (which lead to a divorce bc she made me choose... she will be missed).

A

Holy crap man! This picture is just evil, it looks a bit like The robot in Hardware:

hardware.gif<-----------------Mystery engine?

engine.jpg<-----------Evil Robot?

That is a sweet looking engine man what is it? Would it power a small city or planet?

/Raz

Edited by Scoville

:rolleyes: Wall-e... hahahhaha

I would so paint this white and make it a skull, people pulling up behind would be like:

"WTF? Is that Charles Manson's Lotus?"

"Nah man, I think he drives a Fiat Multipla?!"

:shock:

/R

Holy crap man! This picture is just evil, it looks a bit like The robot in Hardware:

hardware.gif<-----------------Mystery engine?

engine.jpg<-----------Evil Robot?

That is a sweet looking engine man what is it? Would it power a small city or planet?

/Raz

My daughter calls it " wall-e " :rolleyes:

Great minds think alike!!!! I also am doing major modifications to my esprit... Instead of the cobra engine, I went with a 2007 Nissan 350Z engine with a super charger. I also purchased a boxster 6 speed tranny. I need some advice and details on the adaptor plate set up you used! Can you help guide me with this? Any information would be a God send... Thanks!

John

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv60/sl...70/105_1020.jpg

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv60/sl...70/105_1026.jpg

The adaptor plate is 16mm thick 6061 alluminium alloy, the most important factor is the centre line between the crank and the gearbox input shaft, to ensure it was perfect I machined an adaaptor that came to a point ( bit like a centre pop ) that fit perfectly into the spigot in the end of the crank. Then I made the same thing to fit in all the mounting holes in the back of the engine. Then I turned the engine so it was sitting on the front pulley and carefully placed the plate over and with help to hold it still used a "dead blow hammer" to mark the adaptor plate.

Then drilled the mounting holes to the correct size for the fixing bolts and drilled the centre hole to 3mm, then made an adaptor to fit onto the input shaft that had the end machined to 3mm and protruded the face of the gearbox to guide adaptor plate on. Then made more adaptors to fit into gearbox mounting holes and repeated the same as I did to engine side.

Hope this makes sense !!!!

• 3 weeks later...

its official i think i may want to stroke you LOL

ITS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

my mech is heavily into american muscle and has about 3 full engines and a massive charger sitting in his garage,

makes me think i need to go on the steal and then make him fit in lol

Edited by karluk29

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)