free hit
counters
Which is best colour ? - Page 2 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Which is best colour ?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With a supercharger like that is surely has to be matt black ?

What torque is the gearbox safe for btw ?

The porsche produces 350 Nm of torque, I think she will break traction before she hurts the box, I'm also looking into a thermo-syphon cooling syatem for the transaxle ( to save you all googling thermo-syphon it is basicly a way of cooling without a pump, it relies on heat rising and cold falling really old cars used it before water pumps were invented ).

• 2 weeks later...

Norfolk Mustard Yellow - About 1,000,000 Lotus's have been painted this colour, it's nice! :secret:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

A59 Lotus Steel Blue, its (I'm told) a rare colour, but looks modern.

But then I'm biased, Come to the Dark side.

IMG_0467.jpg

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

• 1 month later...

Wow - that's quite a project - it least I am not the only mad man left in the world.

Have you made any progress recently?

I have run into a stumbling block - but one that won't be too hard to overcome.

Those engines are not that common in the UK, are they?

Even over here they are not that common. Looks like it will be a blast to drive when it's done though.

To be honest it all started after the exhaust manifold cracked..........My original idea was to maybe fit a diesel engine ........a V12 VW one !!!!!

I done a massive amount of research into which engine to go for and came across the 32valve quad-cam V8 as used in the Mustang Cobra, it seems to fit with what I want to do. The SVT engines come with a forged steel crenk which is safe upto 1500 bhp ( the rods are only good for 600bhp though !!!!!! ). The other thing that appeals is the low compression ratio these engines run at only 9.0:1 so they are really good to super charge or turbo.

To make the thing eaiser to drive I went down the super charged route, as did not fancy waiting for the turbos to spool and then throw me through the nearest hedge LOL.

Upto now the most difficult thing was the gearbox mounting..... There was no way I wanted to use the esprit box, so then started researched on the GT40 kit car forums for a suitable transaxle. The Porche G50 boxes are really popular with them but as they come from a rear engined 911 they have to be inverted !!!!!!.

Then some of them started using the G96 box from the 6 speed Boxster s ( a mid engined car so no need to invert )

ratio.jpg

These are the gear ratios that I have .....

• 1 month later...

I really love to see that Lotus people aren't all going for original at all cost. It's good that a lot of people do but equally good that some people fiddle, adjust, convert and install as I believe Colin Chapman himself would have loved. Anything to make the cars go faster both in a straight line and around bends would please him. And I love such mad ideas that this place on the web shows.

That Ford engine is a beauty, made from aluminium if I'm not mistaken and can take a lot of tuning.

Must be some feeling looking at the "tower of power" in the rear view mirror :)

I also looked for a Porsche gear box but ended up with one from Audi. And then we'll just have to see if it can take the torque. But like you I didn't feel like using an upturned 911 box. There is an issue with oil flow that needs to be addressed in that case.

By the way - that engine of yours is used in an other Great British sports car: The Marcos Mantis.

Enjoying to read and look at your beauty.

Edited by saggitarius

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there! Wanted to wish you and yours a great holiday season! Concerning the gearbox adaptor and ancillaries, I have two questions:

1. Did you use the Porsche Boxster S starter motor? If so, did you have trouble adapting it?

2. Did you go with a standard steel flywheel or an aluminum one?

The reason I ask is that I purchased an aluminum one (13 lbs!) but I need to plug weld the crank bolt holes and have them re machined out to bolt to the Nissan 350Z crankshaft.

I just wanted to pick your brain and see how you handled these issues....

Sincerely,

John

Hey there! Wanted to wish you and yours a great holiday season! Concerning the gearbox adaptor and ancillaries, I have two questions:

1. Did you use the Porsche Boxster S starter motor? If so, did you have trouble adapting it?

2. Did you go with a standard steel flywheel or an aluminum one?

The reason I ask is that I purchased an aluminum one (13 lbs!) but I need to plug weld the crank bolt holes and have them re machined out to bolt to the Nissan 350Z crankshaft.

I just wanted to pick your brain and see how you handled these issues....

Sincerely,

John

Seasons greetings to you,

I did not use the boxster s starter as it sits at the top of the gearbox ( on any Vee engine it is physically not posible). Instead I used the standard fly wheel and had it machined down to fit the ring gear from a Ford Capri 2.8i, the starter I used comes from the same Capri.

The logic is to match the ring gear to the starter motor, then the starter was mounted to the adaptor plate, at first I made my adaptor out of 6mm perspex to ensure correct meshing of the starter to ring gear, once I was happy with it I transfered the positions onto the proper adaptor and fitted dowells.

I also had the flywheel balanced afterwards

Hope this helps, the trick is to select matching ring gear and starter motor

• 2 months later...

Quick update on my project, now the garage is a bit warmer have spent some time on the drive shafts. I have machined a dummy adjustable driveshft to make sure I get the length perfect before I commit to ordering them. The company who I am getting to make them is local to me, heres a link http://www.berrisfor...3cj86micpv0tba1.

driveshaft.jpg

Hoping to make lots of progress over the next few months, after The driveshafts are fitted then the next thing is the exhaust then engine managment !!!

Paul,

I know exactly what you mean about the cold weather! Its no fun working in the garage when its freezing no matter how cups of tea you drink :lol: Good luck on the project over the next few months really looking forward to this one been fired up,

great work so far p.s have you decided on a colour yet! One thing on the driveshafts if they have not taken into account yet is the BHP the company me and hilly used charged about £300 for bespoke shafts, tempered the ends and fitted the cv joints, they where set up for around 300bhp and it was about £400 for more beefy ones, which i think your defo going to need :)

Keep up the work regards danny

A

Cheers Danny, have spoke to them and they know what they are being used for. They build lots of shafts for auto-grass racers and have really good feedback from them. I think that compared to what I am planning on doing on the car the racers shafts would have far more work to do.

Will be nice to hear it fire up, can only crank it over at the moment .

BTW have decided to keep her white, she looks rather nice with the new lights and shiny wheels

Edited by cobraesprit

Something really far out would be matt black - very menacing :devil:

Bjorn

Edited by Yeti

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today - James Dean

"If it isn't leaking, it's empty" - Comment from a British sportscar enthusiast after being made aware of an oil slick under his car

Lotus Car Club Norway (LCCN) - lccn.no

LCCN on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/LotusCarClubNorway/

• 2 months later...

Any more info on this project? Keen to see it up and running.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

• 4 years later...