free hit
counters
Historical Factory / Shipping Photos? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
shadeone

Historical Factory / Shipping Photos?

i was looking through the delorean forums at dmctalk.com and came across an awesome thread about photos taken at the factory and there were some photos thrown in the mix of the cars at the factory loaded up and getting ready for shipment overseas... there was also a couple shots of the first few deloreans right after the were unloaded off the ship and were standing on the dock....

so i thought to myself.... why dont we have any pictures like that??

just wondering if there are any factory photos from the SE era that havent been seen before that may be in peoples personal collections or whatnot....

also, it would be really cool to see pictures of any of the export cars on the docks or at dealer showrooms back in the day too!

shade

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Excellent topic! Dug this up on my hard drive (not from the SE era) showing a few Turbos, S3s and even a couple Excels on the second truck. That puts it somewhere between 1982-87.

TurboEspritTransportation.jpg

and HERE is a truck of SE Esprits on Lotus Esprit Turbo: http://www.lotusespritturbo.com/Lotus_Espr...hel_Factory.jpg

Edited by Clark

Very nice.

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Not a shipping photograph but this is a press shot of 0100G just after it left the factory.

Still has part label stickers on the indicator lenses!

Esprit1976.jpg

That puts it somewhere between 1982-87.

I think colour coded bumpers came with the 1985 update so I think that date that pic somewhere 1985-87

My car is a red tubro 1985 so I like to think thats my car up there lol!!!

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

ok well to add to my own post, here is a showroom picture from Saab Manchester from 1990 with an SE on display! (sorry about the small size, the brochure wasnt that big...)

dealer1.jpg

shade

Love all the old photo's but can never see these links members put up... Just comes up with a smaller window and says waiting to connect to somewhere! Please keep the bigger ones coming though guys!

Does this count as shipping? :rolleyes:

Another reason for my aching for an Esprit from my 'youth' years was Autosport magazine. I used to buy it weekly and longed over the regular adverts in there from what I think was 'Norwich Motor Group.' Believe they were local Norwich Main dealer but they always had in their advert a black and white 'graphic picture' of about 10 G Turbos lined up in a curve outside the front of the dealership. I must have spent years just looking at that picture and those louvres............would've been around '82-84'ish.........

Now can anyone find it online!!

Edited by nello

you might want to check out this lot:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AUTOSPORT-MAGAZINES-LO...id=p3286.c0.m14

one of my favrotie ads ever isnt esprit related but was for Nelson Automotive Group in the US and was a 1999 ad featuring the "new" 1999 lamborghini diablo roadster... they had a TON of them lined up outside in every color imagineable including a white one with a red interior that i have yet to ever see again.

did norwich continue doing that style of ad through the 90s? it might be worth a phone call to their advertising department!

shade

Edited by shadeone

I've got some old photo's from the 80's of various Esprit, somewhere i have a picture of the front of the old mans garage lined with Esprits at the 80's peak, i'll have to dig them out and post them.....

Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere.

Factroy I have.

scan0003.jpg

scan0002.jpg

Mike_Kimberley_and_his_Collegues-1.jpg

I have a few more as you can imagine

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Just noticed this Ad on Autotrader with a shot of the 40th Anniversary cars on a motor show stand.......

AT Ad

Edited by nello

Thanks Neil, been hoping to find a motor show photo! Car in advert now owned by LEF member IANR who PM,ed me a couple of times this week. :)

Looks like a bit of a time capsule, the pics make it look brand new :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

I wonder just how much additional time and effort goes into a show car?

If its part of the production line it would tend to suggest that it took the same time as the other cars.

Perhaps extra care was taken on the bodywork or painting?

Had a rummage round and managed to find this classic ad from the 80's of the old mans garage;

BridgeMotorsAd1.jpg

This was another one he used;

BridgeMotorsAd2.jpg

And a publicity shot for the last generation Excel;

LotusExcel.jpg

Still trying to find some more, i have some pictures of his old Alfa Romeo/Maserati/Subaru showroom from 1980 somewhere, will post them too if you wanna see?

Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere.

Found this picture, i seem to recall my brother trying out his camera and there were more pictures but this is the only one i can find at the moment;

EspritBocking1987.jpg

We reckon it was around 1987 not long after the motorshow and the launch of the Stevens Esprit.

These are slightly off topic regarding SE pictures, but still a great snap shot in time;

BridgeMotorsColchesterExt.jpgBridgeMotorsColchesterInt.jpg

Note the Merak SS in Silver out front and the Red one in the showroom. This was the showroom that my dad put Lotus in first when he outted Maserati in 81. Still hunting for the SE pics actually, i know who has them, just waiting for them to reply to my email, it seems they borrowed a box of photo's from ym dad and they were in there. I seem to recall there might have been some from original dealer launch they had at Millbrook when all the dealers collected their cars and the subsequent one the old man had when he had an open day at Bocking soon after. I'll chase them up.

Brilliant Roger! Great photos - whats the connection there? My Esprit was bought new at that dealer!!!!!........and lovin' the Alfa shots - I learnt to drive in my Dads ' 84 Giulietta saloon........loved that car.