free hit
counters
Project 200 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
cobraesprit

Project 200

Hi and welcome to my project

I have had my 1992 Esprit Turbo for the last 10 years and last year started looking into improving it's performance !!!

The aim of the excercise then slightly changed to " I want to join the hyper car league.......I want her to go 200mph"

To achive 200 mph would require a masssive increase in power, so I started looking for an engine that would handle the job, I then discovered the all alluminium 32 valve 4.6 litre V8 that ford use to power the Mustang cobra. These engines are unbelivable they have a forged steel crankshaft that can handle 1200 bhp (not that you need that much power :rolleyes: )

These engines also suit supercharging very well as the compression ratio is relatively low, the other benift of supercharging is to increase boost all you need to do is replace the supercharger pulley.

The next consideration was how to transmit the power, the standard gearbox only just copes with the original engines, so I done some research into the mid engine kit cars. Most use Porsche G50 transaxles ( from the 911 ) but have to invert them !!!!!! ( the 911 gearbox sits infront of the engine). I thought " no way do I fancy an upside down gearbox and 200mph !!!! :shock: ". I thencame across the G96 transaxle that is used in the mid-engined Boxster S. It has 6 gears but the only problem was the final drive ratio of 3.77:1 would mean that 200 mph would happen at over 7000 rpm, I then found a company in oz that sell a crown wheel and pinion with a ratio of 3.0:1 which means 205 mph would give 6250 rpm.

I could go on and on but thought you might want to see a pic.

127.jpg

119.jpg

129.jpg

121.jpg

120.jpg

131.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

You may wish to take some advice on tyres and bearings, getting to 200mph is relatively easy if you have enough power, I'd be worried about the rest of the car exploding around you. Wheel bearing ceasing at 180mph is not something you would want. :rolleyes:

Esprit S1, 238G, Blog

Online Photo's

This car was most definately hand built, NOTHING FITS!

Cool - another interesting project ! :rolleyes:

There is another guy on here (M Blur) who you might want to contact. He is approaching the end of a project to put an American V8 in an early Esprit for racing purposes.

American race V8 conversion

He should be able to advise you on overcoming the chassis and aerodynamic challenges of running a big torguey V8 at high speeds.

What is the current status of the project? What is next?

Please keep the updates coming !

Cheers,

Mike S

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

You may wish to take some advice on tyres and bearings, getting to 200mph is relatively easy if you have enough power, I'd be worried about the rest of the car exploding around you. Wheel bearing ceasing at 180mph is not something you would want. :rolleyes:

Thanks for that, i am going to use a TPMS system to monitor tyre temps. and pressure. Was looking at "y" rated tyres filled with nitrogen as it stays fairly stable at increased temperatures.

Was hoping to use a high perfomance lithium based with new wheel bearings.

TPMS5.jpg

tpms-main_1ee.jpg

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Thanks for the link but I have my heart set on a in-car computer running with centrefuse http://www.fluxmedia.net/screenshots.aspx.

Cool - another interesting project ! :rolleyes:

There is another guy on here (M Blur) who you might want to contact. He is approaching the end of a project to put an American V8 in an early Esprit for racing purposes.

American race V8 conversion

He should be able to advise you on overcoming the chassis and aerodynamic challenges of running a big torguey V8 at high speeds.

What is the current status of the project? What is next?

Please keep the updates coming !

Cheers,

Mike S

At present the engine cross-member and mounts have been fabricated, I am using the original engine mount rubbers ( i wanted to maintain the same position to not upset the balance of the car ) . The gearbox mounts have been fabricated again using the original mounts. The centre line of the diff is in the excat same place as the original.

Jobs Yet to be done are......

Exhausts

drive shafts

cooling and fuel pipes

Engine management

wiring for starter and alternator

throttle cable

clutch hydrualics

and a repaint lol

Edited by cobraesprit

Are you sticking with the original eec-v management? If so, do you have it and what's the ecu's 'catch' code?

No I am using an adaptronic ecu, it has a twin map function so I can set one for enonomy ( dont all laugh) and one for max power. The ECU also has traction control and launch control, I am going to fit all the switches to the steering wheel and label the traction control as coward through to " Stig setting" :doc: .