free hit
counters
cooling turbo - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
sky_cz

cooling turbo

i ve found problem to cooling for long time turbo, esp during 1 and 2 in city or in speed run (over 220kph), small cooling tank is empty very fast after cca 30-40 km. big cooling tank is ok. in normal speed on highway small tank is also ok.

- no leaks

- pump working fine,pressure is ok, all changed inside, but chargecooler still hot

- vents popup in 88

http://www.lotus-club.cz

lccz_banner.gif

Your 6 is my 12.

http://www.voodoo-world.cz

--------------------------------

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The small and large tanks on your cars are completely unrelated other than they contain the same thing are are next to each other.

If you're getting through that much water, you do have a leak, no question. See if you can track it down.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

The water 'has' to be going somewhere, it's a closed circuit...

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Could the loss of coolant not be down to air in the C/C system. This would also result in a less than effiecnt C/C and causing it to get hot. If your certain there are no leaks, could it be taking a while to clear the air from the C/C system or am I miss reading your post?

It was facinating to go back the the C/C refill process on my car after switching to a new rad and S300 setup. Im on the Electric pump so I dont need the engine running to run the pump. What was most interesting was that once I thought the C/C had been fully flushed through the standard process off:

(Hose pipe to fill, then Coolant draw from a header tank), I reconneted the system and could still hear intermittent churning of the electric pump indicating air bubbles. This was despite flushing for about an hour. I think this in part occurs when reconneting the pipes to the charge cooler.

So, what I did was leaving all the pipes connected, take the C/C top refill nut off. Stick some transparent hose into it with a small header thank if possible. Otherwise just put a longer hose on running upwards. I tied the hose to the open boot lid. Switch on the ignition to run the C/C electric pump. Do this for about about 10 seconds and wait for about 6 seconds. Low and behold, bloody big air bubbles make there way up the transparent pipe and the C/C draws in a bit more coolant. Facinating to watch. What appears to happen is that leaving the pump running churns up the air into tiny bubbles and disapates it in the water. Running the pump for five or ten seconds at a time and then cutting the power is enough to push some water round and allows the air bubbles to collect in the pump then travel up from the pump (mines located low down next to the gearbox) and out through the C/C open port. This method also means that the large air bubble collects the smaller ones further back up the pipe system between the pump and the C/C.

The key problem with the C/C re-fill is that the inlet and outlet ports on the C/C are to close to the level of the top up cap and they are all the highest point in the car. By setting the hight of the refill well above the inlet/outlet ports it ensures that bubbles dont get re-circulated.

The amount of air that came out of the system was staggering. If your on the standard impellor its probably a bit different as you dont need a head of water in the pump to get it working properly.

Not sure if that helps you any ? :sofa:

Sky,

Are you 100% sure that you did not mix up the inlet/outlet ports of the c/cooler pump. I remember one scenario that was very sililar and it turned out that the port have been mixed up (swapped) by mistake.

The port at the bottom should feed the c/cooler and the port at the top of the pump draws coolant from the radiator and is also connected (T-ed) with the small reservoir.

If both connections are swapped by mistake you will pressurize the small reservoir and you may loose coolant through the overflow pipe. The pressure will rise with rpm ... you see the pattern ?

Result is missing coolant and very low efficiency of the whole system (= faily hot c/cooler).

Marcus

Marcus