free hit
counters
S1 Knock Diagnosis - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Experts out there some advice please.

My S1 occasionally gives a knock on setting off and just before I stop. It appears to be coming from the nearside rear. My initial thoughts were a worn bush of some kind. On meeting S1 guru Matt-Watts for a beer the other day he thought a worn UJ. However a brief inspection of bushes and UJ's didn't really back anything up. (Thanks for the advice and company Matt, hope you didn't look to oily when you got back to work!)

I now have the time to properly inspect, so does anybody have any other ideas / things to look for.

Also if it is UJ's are they straight forward or as with many things Lotus are there things to look out for?

Thanks

Mark

Look what Q's brought us. Isn't it nice!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's not the UJs then:

:P

Check the engine mounts are all snug and tight. This includes the bolts going into the block and the chassis.

Wheel bearing?

Radius arm mount?

Go around all the nuts and bolts on the rear suspensions and make sure all are still tight.

Check springs for cracks and condition of the rubber buffer between top of the spring and the chassis.

Good luck.

Gavin

It appears to have been the bolts on the drive shaft, very slightly loose. Tightened 1/4 turn and it seems to have sorted it. Looks like the securing bracket / washer type thing had given up the ghost after 30 years.

Mark

Look what Q's brought us. Isn't it nice!