free hit
counters
aquamist - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

pondering,

Who has such system installed. Gathered information?

Where is the best place to induce the water/alc.mix ?

I am just curious

:sofa:

Olaf S400 project www.esprits4.de

shapeimage_1.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Olaf,

I

Edited by mike_sekinger

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Always looked at this in opposition to a new turbo or chip.

I have a crude mat sensor reading always in the car and when the MAT is cold the boost/pickup/acceleration is markedly quicker than it is at only a small amount hotter in the inlet.

I was thinking of having a fogger on the radiator instead but the end mod was to move the chargecooler pipes outside of the car (ie underneath so they dont get hot next to the hot water pipes) and use a very light water injector to keep the inlet temp at a suitable level.

+/- 5C inlet temp is noticable imo and it doesn't take very long for the turbo to generate this.

Beauty of doing it this way is you are not beating and whipping the car/turbo like a chip does to produce more pressure, you're in effect coaxing it - I'm not sure on the theorey but if you reduce the inlet temp the turbo has to work less rpm to generate the same pressure which is better for the turbo and the engine (becuase there is less boost pressure involved) and also pickup.....if you produce max boost at lower turbo rpm then you reach max boost sooner eh ?

Certainly works like that in the winter when the air is chilled to 10 degrees or so, car feels like it has a rocket strapped to the back.

facebook = [email protected]

I had this fitted to my carb turbo years ago. Worked really well. I fitted my just after the turbo. Trick is that you have to have the header tank above the pump level. Also you have to prime it before first use otherwise the pump may not worked if it's been running dry.

If you are interested then a local guy to me bought one of these kits recently and fitted to his fuel injected non SE Esprit but has just taken it out. He's having a 6.0 V8 from a Corvette fitted with an Audi gearbox. So his Aquamist is surplus to requirements.

David Walters

Edited by superdavelotus

Jonathan

I'd also considered the fogger option, may get round to doing it when I put the new rad cowl on, should be simple to achieve as it just needs a hold from the front luggage are to the void in front of the CC rad. I'm glad I'm not alone in thingking that's a good way to bolster the cooling of the induction system without putting water through the combustion process. Also could do it by coiling the induction plenum inlet with a CO2 coler, but that would just be extreme.

Hi Olaf,

Here is my personal advice for the 4-Cylinder ...

- best place for the injector is the MAT-thread

- relocate the MAT-sensor into the square plenum (where the boost gauge hose connector used to be)

- place the rerservoir above the pump ! (if you like you may use the windshield washer reservoir ! This is very clever and already has a low level light !)

- NEVER place the reservoir obove (= higher) than the injector !!!!! This is VERY important, because the water may run via graviatation by itself into the engine !!! You can imagine what will happen when you want to start the engine -> hydraulic lock ... huchhhhhhhhhh

Marcus

pondering,

Who has such system installed. Gathered information?

Where is the best place to induce the water/alc.mix ?

I am just curious

:sofa:

Edited by Paula&Marcus

Marcus

Andy, I got the idea a while ago when I was looking at a fogger for the brakes cooling, then I found out the EVO has it on it's intercooler.

I was going to simply get a pipe, drill it with holes and run it along the top of the CC rad and have a very high pressure pump to deliver water mist onto the chargecooler. I hadn't got around to nozzles defusers yet.

The whole thing could be contained in the front bay with a thermostat switch or when you put your foot down.

Only prob I can see is that it wont be anywhere as efficient as chucking it into the engine, although I'm with you I dont like to put anything in there except air and fuel.

I also had an idea of running the return pipe from the chargecooler under the car and into a copper block with a peltier device in there, sunk to the chassis but i dont think it will yield much results.

I do think running the pipes externally in copper pipe would produce good results becuase they do get hot inside the chassis by a substantial % temperature. Also heat soak into the pipes and chargecooler itself are a problem....at idle the chargecooler can rise by 30 degrees just sitting there through heat soak.

By insulating the chargecooler and pipework, moving the chassis pipes under the car you could really improve the chargecooler system by a substantial measure.

facebook = [email protected]

For your fogger, instead of mounting an additional water tank in the front of the car, just utilise the stored water in the light pods, they are not bad sized dual fluid containers and are ideally located exactly where you need them :)

That way you'll also never have to unblock your pod drain holes ever again.

Two problems fixed with one solution, happy to help as always :P

Chunky Lover

The other option is to go for NOS.

I have been looking in to that as well, but seems to be a little too much at this point of the upgrades done.. :-)

Which would be more efficient in terms of deleting possible knock?

The installatioon point would also be the same, would it not?

Olaf S400 project www.esprits4.de

shapeimage_1.jpg

Personally, I wouldn

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/rescr/gallery/mi...22/lotus22.html

my friend Lew uses it on his X180-R

used just as Mike said, before the MAT sensor.

THough if used before the intercooler it could even further cool that (added efficiency).

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

Here is write-up on placement (generic) http://www.alcohol-injection.com/articles/...ction-nozzle-2/

- NEVER place the reservoir obove (= higher) than the injector !!!!! This is VERY important, because the water may run via graviatation by itself into the engine !!! You can imagine what will happen when you want to start the engine -> hydraulic lock ... huchhhhhhhhhh

many of these kits now come with a one-way check valve - to prevent the gravity siphoning.

http://www.alcohol-injection.com/water-inj...-valves-64.html

Edited by Quikr

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....