free hit
counters
Passenger safety cell? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

I was checking out Dermot's Esprit S4 page and saw a listing for Standard equipment that included " SIR contained with (sic) a kevlar and aluminum passenger safety cell"...

what is does this mean? As a new lotus owner, as I drove me one of my lovely dautghters around town, I find myself wondering exactly how strong the cockpit is in my 91 SE; and have wondered whether the cockpit needs to be (or could be) strengthened with anything short of a rollcage.

how crash safe is my lotus? How can I make it safer? btw, I have an aftermarket non-airbag momo wheel...

Thanks everyone,

JimC

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In a few key locals, Lotus claims to add Kevlar fabric to the Esprit body to aid in rollover strength. This is based on the "Lotus Esprit Supercar" coffee table-sized book descript of the factory steps. I seem to recall the base of the A posts and, perhaps, the forward portion of the roof has one (more?) layers reinforcing it.

I also believe a metal support is added to the windshield frame . . . . though I thought it was steel piece (like on the early Elite) and not aluminum. I don't know how it is bonded in.

I guess that's their version of a Kevlar and aluminum safety shield. Now that you know; don't it make you feel protected?

AP

when i get the polycarbonate windscreen put in, the trim will be cromoly steel to add needed stiffness, since the windscreens on esprits are structural. don't think it will be any safer having the strong steel arch there. the roof would still crush and pivot the arch to horizontal. if you can afford the space, get a dedicated interior rollcage.

when i get the polycarbonate windscreen put in, the trim will be cromoly steel to add needed stiffness, since the windscreens on esprits are structural.  don't think it will be any safer having the strong steel arch there.  the roof would still crush and pivot the arch to horizontal.  if you can afford the space, get a dedicated interior rollcage.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interesting. Where can I buy a polycarbonate windscreen?

• Gold FFM
Interesting. Where can I buy a polycarbonate windscreen?

Why would you want a polycarbonate windshield on a street car? They aren't even allowed on most race cars. They scratch and pit too easy, you wouldn't be able to see very well, they aren't optically clear, and they are brittle in cold weather...

In otherwords, not street legal.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

• Gold FFM
when i get the polycarbonate windscreen put in, the trim will be cromoly steel to add needed stiffness, since the windscreens on esprits are structural.  don't think it will be any safer having the strong steel arch there.  the roof would still crush and pivot the arch to horizontal.  if you can afford the space, get a dedicated interior rollcage.

Roll cage will not be safer for a street car unless you intend to wear helmets at all times. The side windows, windshield and roll cage bars would be entirely too close to your skull in the Esprit. I've been in and driven an Esprit with a full rollcage (X180-R) on the street and track, and I've hit my helmeted head on the bars many times. This is one of the primary reasons they don't make an Esprit anymore. The waiver for head impact saftey had expired and the Esprit didn't meet the regulations.

If you want to see how safe an esprit is in a crash, why don't you look at the gallery of wrecked Esprits on

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EOtherstuf...ed_Esprits.html

I believe the thick fiberglass body is very good at absorbing impact energy compared to a steel bodied car. The head impact is the real worry though...

I personally don't worry about my saftey when driving it though.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Why would you want a polycarbonate windshield on a street car?  They aren't even allowed on most race cars.  They scratch and pit too easy, you wouldn't be able to see very well, they aren't optically clear, and they are brittle in cold weather...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

spot on about the street legal issue. however, modern polycarbonate is indistinguishable from glass, and will not scratch. they use it on aircraft, and it'll take a windshield wiper beating unharmed. my windscreen is cracked right now, and i can't wait to replace it. before pulling the old on off, i'm planning to heat up a flat sheet of polycarbonate and drape it over the original to get the right shape. you won't be able to buy these commercially. they just aren't economical to make, not being street legal. however, at $1200USD for an esprit windshield repair, i'll cash out at half that plus my own labour.

Why would you want a polycarbonate windshield on a street car?  They aren't even allowed on most race cars.  They scratch and pit too easy, you wouldn't be able to see very well, they aren't optically clear, and they are brittle in cold weather...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not interested in purchasing at all. Only interesting in learning about it

• Gold FFM
spot on about the street legal issue.  however, modern polycarbonate is indistinguishable from glass, and will not scratch.  they use it on aircraft, and it'll take a windshield wiper beating unharmed.  my windscreen is cracked right now, and i can't wait to replace it.  before pulling the old on off, i'm planning to heat up a flat sheet of polycarbonate and drape it over the original to get the right shape.  you won't be able to buy these commercially.  they just aren't economical to make, not being street legal.  however, at $1200USD for an esprit windshield repair, i'll cash out at half that plus my own labour.

I've gotten a quote from www.locanglass.com for $700 installed at a local eliteautoglass store.

Did you try calling JAE?

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE