free hit
counters
simple question ( to those who know) - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

simple question ( to those who know)

When's the best time to buy a nearly new car?

My guess and it is just that would be when stock is up i.e. March & September when the new registrations take place.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure how it is on your side of the pond, but here in the states, the best times to purchase a new car is when the next years models have hit the floor. This is especially true if a design change has been made. You can usually get all of the dealer incentives as well as additional discounts not offered on the new models. Most dealerships want to get rid of last years models to make room for new models and are more likely to work a deal to do so. Unfortunately this won't work for specialty vehicles, but usually does with your typical "everyones got one" brands and models.

Depends what you mean by nearly new and what franchise you're looking at. Some dealers clear their used stock in Sept / March, so they don't have too much stock when all the part exchanges come in, but at the moment good used stock is hard to come by.

There are two types of nealy new car in my book.

New cars registered towards the end of a month so the dealer hits the manufacurers target

or

Ex Demo's

In some cases the first feeds the second and frees up demo's for sale, in others they go straight to sale. In any case if the dealer is registering them it probably means they are so popular or they wouldn't have to pre reg.

Well after that waffling to be honest the market's so volatile that it really depends on the franchise and the financial state of the dealer.

If you can get an ex demo they are usually a popular car at a good price and demos are being put on and taken off. Strike up a conversation with a dealer and "book" a demo when it comes off.

Edited by winners

Look what Q's brought us. Isn't it nice!

Thanks for the replies. :respect:

The boss needs a new car and is keen on a VW golf. Buying new seems to mean you pay close to the full price. Nearly new or last of the Mk5's seem to come in much lower for very low mileage examples. This fits into Blake's comments so there dosen't seem to be much difference either side of the pond.

Rog, I'll suggest the Landie and let you know. :lol:

I also agree with Mark's view regarding 'having a conversation' but I guess the point of the tread was when is the best time?

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

I bought 2 newish cars, 06 and 08 plates, in January this year as prices were rock bottom. I'm not sure if its always a good time but it certainly was this year. Prices are a fair bit higher now than they were in January.

Edited by russellbosier