free hit
counters
Installing rear conversion lights kit - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Installing rear conversion lights kit

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dermot has fitted this to his S4...

http://www.lotusesprit.org/

Rear light conversion used the single panel supplied by SJSportcars. The attraction of that panel is that it requires no cutting of the rear bodywork. Sadly the panel is a very poor casting, it took my paint guy much longer than expected to prime and prepare for painting, and then fitting it to the car.

Find a good friends who owns a spray shop!!!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

My friend has the SJ panel on his 93.5 and it was fitted with very minimal cutting to allow fitment of the actual lights. This part was molded off an original lotus panel (which i now own) and trimmed along the bottom edge to keep from having to cut the lip off of your car. As far as the quality of the SJ parts, the entire front end of my car is made of SJ copies and they are nearly perfect in fit but seemed to suffer from bubbles under the gelcoat in a few places. The problems that dermot faced may be due to the fact that even the original lotus part is flimsy and a poor fit. Look at the yellow V8 they used in their posters.. the rear panel is off in almost every dimension and this is a car they used for press photos.

Thanks all for your information on installing. I ordered the same 1 piece panel from SJ, and found out I needed to cut-out more of the body where the old lights were, along with drilling 6 holes in all (four to connect the new panel onto the old body panel, and 2 for the Lotus emblem. I just was hoping for more detailed information. It seems everyone who has done this upgrade has had a shop do it for them. I will try and photograph my way through it, and write something up for future upgrades... boy... I just hope I don't screw this up...

Ed-

My friend has the SJ panel on his 93.5 and it was fitted with very minimal cutting to allow fitment of the actual lights.  This part was molded off an original lotus panel (which i now own) and trimmed along the bottom edge to keep from having to cut the lip off of your car.  As far as the quality of the SJ parts, the entire front end of my car is made of SJ copies and they are nearly perfect in fit but seemed to suffer from bubbles under the gelcoat in a few places.  The problems that dermot faced may be due to the fact that even the original lotus part is flimsy and a poor fit.  Look at the yellow V8 they used in their posters.. the rear panel is off in almost every dimension and this is a car they used for press photos.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can confirm that the rear end needs all this prep work. Basically, the quality of the fibreglass casting is not good and there is a lot of prep work required before painting to get the quality required.

It might amuse everyone to know that Steve at SJ has never fitted one of his "02 rear" to a car. Might explain some of our difficulties.

Dermot

Dermot-

My conversion kit came with two small metal brackets, and two thin reflectors... any idea what that is for? Any advice on how best to cut out the original body panel areas surrounding the lights? What about drill bit size for the holes?

Thanks,

Ed-

I can confirm that the rear end needs all this prep work.  Basically, the quality of the fibreglass casting is not good and there is a lot of prep work required before painting to get the quality required.

It might amuse everyone to know that Steve at  SJ  has never fitted one of his "02 rear" to a car.  Might explain some of our difficulties.

Dermot

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well... I'm almost done, and all I have to say is Oh My God!!! This has been a bloody nightmare!!! There is a LOT more body work then expected, the new +02 rear lights don't connect to the '95 connections, and the gaps between panels are noticeable.... Not sure if this was the best idea. I've spent 10 hours on it, and going at it again tomorrow. I hope that I can somehow decrease the distance between the upper panel gap tomorrow...

keep up the fight brother... i am already dreading starting this project myself.. had the parts for 6 months now and i still haventy gotten the courage to start. Also while you are doing the wiring make sure the lights work in the pattern that you want them to. I kinda like the way the elise lights are with the 2 outer halves lit up.

Do you know how to contact him by mail? I am going to make same modification with sane SJ panel on my S4. I have seen tails connections need modification too.

I dont want to buy a wiring loom.

He made modification himself and I would like to ask him about it.

Does anyone know how to contact him??

Steve unity has them on his car, he has some nice write ups on his webby.

http://www.unity1.co.uk/Lotus/Project/Ligh...arlightsmod.htm

It looks nice in real life too !

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

PERFECTION IS NOT A GOAL, BUT A SYSTEMIC ANOMALY !

ESPRIT S4 2.0 L - MY 1994 : 2003 rear lights with LEDs, TAROX front brakes, 330 mm / 10 pistons, CDA air Filter, RAM AIR CONERSION, CLUTCH red hose upgrade, Eprom #10 from PUK-Germany, TAROX brake discs, adjustable dampers, POP OFF, High Performance Primary and Secondary Injectpors, Electirc Water pump, hand made 4 pipes exhaust stainless steel, oil catch tank with air filter, Custom interiors made by CUSTOMINTERIORS Parma in double colour, 3 additional coloured gauges (turbo, vacuum, gas).

I've looked all over his website and cannot find an email myself. I have gone ahead and started connecting the old wires to the new lights wires. I am almost complete. I have one of the lights (w/white middle) complete, now I need the round lights on the end to work. I will post as soon as I complete it.

Ed-

Do you know how to contact him by mail?  I am going to make same modification with sane SJ panel on my S4. I have seen tails connections need modification too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay.. Here's my initial '95 S4s (US) to +'02 lights wiring notes:

Starting with inside round lights w/white reverse light:

*Black ground wires(2) to Black&White old ground wire

*Yellow(2) wires to old Gree&White wire (Brake Lights)

*Green&Yellow (or Red&Yellow..) wire(1) to old Green&Yellow (Turn Signal)

~Note that both round lights will now connect to the single larger square connector~

Now for outside round lights w/yellow centers (fog??):

*Black ground wires(2) to Black&White old ground wire

*Light Green wires(2) to old Green&Yellow (Turn Signal)

*Green&Black wire(1) to old Green&White+2yellowsNew (Brake Lights)

I hope this helps... Had to do lots of switching...

Ed-

Do you know how to contact him by mail?  I am going to make same modification with sane SJ panel on my S4. I have seen tails connections need modification too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• 2 weeks later...

Looks wonderfull !!

I will make mine in end of January/February.

I will post pics too when finished.

Nick

ESPRIT S4 2.0 L - MY 1994 : 2003 rear lights with LEDs, TAROX front brakes, 330 mm / 10 pistons, CDA air Filter, RAM AIR CONERSION, CLUTCH red hose upgrade, Eprom #10 from PUK-Germany, TAROX brake discs, adjustable dampers, POP OFF, High Performance Primary and Secondary Injectpors, Electirc Water pump, hand made 4 pipes exhaust stainless steel, oil catch tank with air filter, Custom interiors made by CUSTOMINTERIORS Parma in double colour, 3 additional coloured gauges (turbo, vacuum, gas).

• 1 month later...

I did it,

check the picture to see my 4 pipes exhaust too, do you like it?

I made a modoficiation on wiring and on lights too to have all 4 lights ON, in fact I put an additional lamp in inner lights and put an additional wire on double filament lamp of inner lights (normally used for fog lamp only).

When I turn ON the lights I have 8 lamps on, 2 each light, in this way I have 4 circles illuminated.

I also put a diode to put in parallel brake lights and fog lights, so when I brake I have 4 brake lights.

I also remade front grille stainless steel made.

Nick