free hit
counters
New Lotus Suspension Kits - Page 3 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

New Lotus Suspension Kits

So, how many 4cyl owners will want the sport 300 suspension instead?

:lol:

And i predict them magnesios find their way onto several non sport 350

Esprits too, god knows i would LOVE them on mine, i think EVERY wheel

EVER fitted to ANY Esprit, does not look as good as these, and parked

next to Rob C's white 350 (as i have several times), they look so good

on a white car!!!!

B)

Most SE's can't do the Sport 300 geometry due to no ability to correct camber. You'll need modifications front and rear.

http://www.lotuscolorado.com/vulcangrey/ga...tableupperlinks

P6200170.thumb.jpg

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most SE's can't do the Sport 300 geometry due to no ability to correct camber.  You'll need modifications front and rear.

http://www.lotuscolorado.com/vulcangrey/ga...tableupperlinks

P6200170.thumb.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, i know :D

Also i think if i was hellbent on doing it 'proper' with the wheels,

then other components would need changing too because of the

offset difference? The guys from lotus were on about doing a kit

of parts that i 'think' was more than just upper links, to enable

early cars to ride on later alloys 'correctly'. Not my field, so i've

no real idea what the parts were...

All academic as cash dictates, but i do love them wheels.

I think they would look pretty good on the old Vulcan Grey

too...

:lol:

And i predict them magnesios find their way onto several non sport 350

Esprits too, god knows i would LOVE them on mine, i think EVERY wheel

EVER fitted to ANY Esprit, does not look as good as these, and parked

next to Rob C's white 350 (as i have several times), they look so good

on a white car!!!!

B)

Ho Ho You could always buy a sport 350 :lol::D:):P:P

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

I absolutly agree, chassis dynamics, wheel geometry and shock absorber setups are one of the most complicated things to set up on a car as far as getting them to work together.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed.. however in the case of the Esprit.. Lotus, or anyone else for that matter, have to work within the existing framework of the chassis and suspension. You can only do so much given the fixed points and limited variables available for tuning.

Different spring rates over the Esprit range....well when I was trying to get the money back on my dodgy suspension the manufacturers were telling me my GT3 was different to every other Epsirt, I had to ask Lotus themselves to help defend my corner as such and from what I was told the cars never had different springs from the S4 range and that is the simple reason why the GT3 rides 10mm higher than the rest becuase of it's weight loss.  The damping rates are the only thing that changed the cars handling.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here is some spring rate information I have been able to locate:

98 V8 GT - F211/R245

V8 - F260/R250

SE - F171/R154

S300 - F313/R345

S350 - F350/R314

SE V8 - F327/R316

S3 - F125/R155

As far as your GT3 maybe you know the rates?

Given the general trend that the rates for the sport series are about 300# and the MR for the cars are at about 1.1 rear and 1.5 front, your 10mm ride height would add up to a car that has about 270# less rear weight and 200# less front weight.. Is your GT3 470# lighter than the rest??

Damping is tuned to control suspension harmonics, acceleration, and load transfer rates. Tuning will vary according to the spring rates selected vs the sprung and unsprung weights.

Spring selection is generally based on weight transfer and ride comfort requirements. In racing, suspension travel and geometry change limits are considered as well.

As for the other earlier models if they're different I'd simply put that down to the fact not only did the chassis get a stiffening excersise in the series 3 but spring rates are not just to do with cornering, they also help / hinder brake and acceleration performance in a straight line, upto the SE turbo the cars were getting faster and faster, more power, more grip, better brakes - if your rears are too stiff you can't squat the weight on the rear wheels and it spins, conversly if the fronts are too stiff you'll find your self understeering everywhere when braking into corners.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The fact is that the chassis beyond the S3, all except for a few cars (eg:x180), did not get get a stiffening excersise.

What you say is basically correct...Spring and damper tuning is all abount managing the rate and amounts of weight transfer front to rear, side to side and x-weight. That has to be balanced against the total vehicle weight, weight distribution, roll centers, moments of inertia, tire selection, and ride comfort amongst other things.

Geometry determines how efficiently all that gets transfered into the road surface.

Its all a compromise... each condition requires a different setup...optimizing everything to work well together and for a wide range of vehicle states and road conditions requires lots of testing and tuning... something that Lotus specialize in.

If you set no goals you shall surely reach them..

ah bugger - just spent about 20mins typing and the browser lost it all.

LOL, In short :D

GT3 rates - dunno

Take weight off back car rises quite a lot

Car 220lbs / 100kilo lighter than S4s

Suspension changes during esprit's life, lower front wishbone.

Later cars have conical bushes

Anti-roll bar differences

So from the numbers I'd only compare the V8 ones which are odd, figures, where from ?

Another example = Elise S1

Exceptional car from factory, crap shocks.

S2 addressed crap shocks, S1 owners upgrade

Ergo not everythng comes out of Hethel as the be all end all.

Talked to Lotus in depth, know some of the folks who have this fitted/tested on their cars, all sounds great.

Price is good for UK in comparison to other makes, less so for US so it sounds.

Dont hit 'preview' and then press 'Back'. :lol:

facebook = [email protected]

ah bugger - just spent about 20mins typing and the browser lost it all.

So from the numbers I'd only compare the V8 ones which are odd, figures, where from ?

Talked to Lotus in depth, know some of the folks who have this fitted/tested on their cars, all sounds great.

Price is good for UK in comparison to other makes, less so for US so it sounds.

Dont hit 'preview' and then press 'Back'.  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It sucks when you loose a good stream of thought to the "back" button... :D

The numbers I believe I got from Tim Engle last year. I dont know if you know of Tim.. he is a true lotus guy.. lots of good knowledge.. based in CA.

I think the kits produced by Lotus will likely be very good. For most owners there is comfort in running factory stuff vs aftermarket.

I am pretty confident in my own design and fabrication work, and would be happy to pass on my knowlege base to anyone who would like it. I firmly believe that sharing knowledge and information does nothing but speed up the development process.

To the contrary, it seems to me that Lotus tend to hand out a lot of hype and propaganda...everything is so secretive... the information they hand out is too little to work with. I dont undertstand why?? They should be more forthcoming and sincere with information, we would all be better off, and lotus would be more respected as a result.

to all of you here on the forum..have a great chistmas :)

Again it might be a gap thign between the UK and north america over there.

The Lotus guys who come to the meets here and I have had the pleasure of talking tech to are some of the nicest chaps going, the time they spend with LEW is priceless and held very dear by owners who attend their talks.

I've just done some small research on startermotors for them and the e-mails I get back are so detailed and helpful, not to mention prompt.

Anyways off for the x-mas pishup.

Seasons greetings ! :lol:

facebook = [email protected]

Again it might be a gap thign between the UK and north america over there.

The Lotus guys who come to the meets here and I have had the pleasure of talking tech to are some of the nicest chaps going, the time they spend with LEW is priceless and held very dear by owners who attend their talks.

Seasons greetings !  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are very lucky... we dont have direct access to the true enthusiasts at Lotus.. dammit.

We seem to have a hell of a time getting good info from Hethel.

have a good one...sheeers..hic.

Edited by f1karting

• 3 weeks later...

I have noticed that there has been a lot of debate on 'Damper Exercise' and how Lotus will 'Rip Off' owners with overpriced components. Some people think they can do better themselves and get a cheaper solution.

The components Lotus have developed are to satisfy a demand for components

for a World Spec. Road Car. The parts are not developed specifically use on

a track. If that is what they wanted to do the specification would be

completely different. If people want to develop a damper for 'Track Use'

they may be able to come up with a specification that suits their particular

car and style of driving.

Lotus did not set out to do this. Their components are designed to replace the current road components. They have deliberately changed the specification to give a slightly more 'Sporty' feel to the car. Louts' primary goal was to satisfy a demand for Road components that would be acceptable to all Esprit owners hence will be sold as a normal ASO components and not 'Motorsport' parts.

The parts will of course be subject to the existing Lotus parts warranty.There has been suggestion that these parts will not be covered. All Lotus supplied parts carry the Lotus parts warranty so these will be no different.

LEW has been heavily involved in this project and fully support Lotus in their projects to help create new parts for the Esprit. Considering the Esprit is out of production, we'd expect plenty of praise for what Lotus are doing and not critism. What other car manufacturer are developing parts for out of production models.

These parts haven't even been fitted to an Esprit yet. Let's hold any judgement until at least it's been fitted to a car!

Price and availability should be available in the next month or so. LEW will have all new information on the news page as we get it.

kato

lew_small.gif

http://www.lotusespritworld.com' target='_blank'>

With all this banging on about suspention settings and the merits of lotus or aftermarket.What does it matter when most people don't know the diffrence between and decent tyre or a TOYO. To get the best out of suspention you first need to get good tyres  :o

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Since when are Toyo RA-1's not decent?

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence." - George Washington

Since when are Toyo RA-1's not decent?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I recently put General Exclaim UHP all around

and are very happy with them, esp considering

the price. good reviews on www.tirerack.com

provide a better ride than the BF goodrich runflats

that were on there and grip at least as well as the

sumotimos previously fitted

great bang for the buck for a performance street tire

though i have no idea of how well they would work on

a track

i can set up a sportbike suspension

for preload,compresion and rebound damping

for my riding style fairly quickly

just running on some local streets

but unless you have access to a track

setting up a cars suspension is a more

time consuming process.

people like Travis can dedicate some time

and set it up for thier driving style and that's

really the best.

i'll just go with what Lotus has tested

and if not happy, I'll let them know

either way, its got to be better than

the 16 yr old original...

Edited by ragingfool35

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND

Guest rflowers
I have noticed that there has been a lot of debate on 'Damper Exercise' and how Lotus will 'Rip Off' owners with  overpriced components. Some people think they can do better themselves and get a cheaper solution.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kato,

By chance, do you have any idea on what prompted LOTUS to offer suspension upgrades for the Esprit?

• 4 weeks later...

So do they have a set for the S1/S2 G-cars? I would love to have an adjustable suspension for the S2, especially one that allows adjustment of the damping and ride height. Are there kits like it out for the S2?? If I can find one I will definately purchase it right away!

Shah

My Beautiful Car http://www.glcforum.com/ukesprit/forums/in...CODE=12&CID=182

ribbon200.gifProud to be a G-car ownerribbon200.gif

They are looking into it, but the set-up is different, so it's less likely. Also the kits aren't adjustable. The two settings on the dampers to lower the car 10mm from the standard settings. This is mainly for Esprit that are running slightly lighter due to different parts.

So do they have a set for the S1/S2 G-cars? I would love to have an adjustable suspension for the S2, especially one that allows adjustment of the damping and ride height. Are there kits like it out for the S2?? If I can find one I will definately purchase it right away!

Shah

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

kato

lew_small.gif

They are looking into it, but the set-up is different, so it's less likely. Also the kits aren't adjustable. The two settings on the dampers to lower the car 10mm from the standard settings. This is mainly for Esprit that are running slightly lighter due to different parts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does anyone know of any good options for the S2 in terms of adjustable suspensions? Any manufacturers out there that you guys recommend or is it just a custom trial and error type thing? I know the user Micheal Blue is looking to get some nice ones fabbed up with remote reservoirs and such, but that may not be for a while. I would love to get something with adjustable ride hieght too so I can fix the lean to my car...

Shah

Does anyone know of any good options for the S2 in terms of adjustable suspensions? Any manufacturers out there that you guys recommend or is it just a custom trial and error type thing? I know the user Micheal Blue is looking to get some nice ones fabbed up with remote reservoirs and such, but that may not be for a while. I would love to get something with adjustable ride hieght too so I can fix the lean to my car...

Shah

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Shah,

Here are some "quick and easy" sugggestions/thoughts:

- If your car leans, I'm going to guess it sits lower on the driver's side - this is the norm on many Esprits. Quick solution is to swap the rear springs from left to right. It will lean a little the other way, but your weight and a few thousand miles will level it out.

- The SPAX brand shocks have adjustable perches in the rear. I don't know about the front. I have heard rumors the SPAX shocks are no longer available, but I think I saw them on a vendor's site recently, can't remember . . .

- To lower the car slightly in genenal, look into springs for a UK/RoW spec car instead of a Federal car. I am not positive about this, but I think the Federal cars have stiffer springs to cope with the rougher roads. The Federal car springs may raise the car higher a half an inch, too -- I don't know if this is true; this might be something to look into.

- I know someone used to make adjustable rear lower links, as I have seen a few cars with them, but my guess is that was decades ago. Maybe someone has some.

- Tony

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Might buy the kit so I can start  start mixing it up with the Penguins go faster H team  :(  :P

penguin.gif

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pingu's H-Team is a crack unit of drivers, wanted by the Fuzz for a crime they probably did commit. With guile and expertise they escaped detection and wonder around the London underground :) erm... road network... Now, still hunted by the authorities and dedicated to finding spiritual wealth at the other end of the warp-speed rainbow, they continue an existence of teaching the Way of the Wedge... If you can find them, maybe you can ride with THE H-TEAM.

(Disclaimer: Those who embark, may never return. What lies beyond is geometric immortality!) :)

(He told me to say that) :(

Cool thanks. I will look into those options...

Shah

Shah,

Here are some "quick and easy" sugggestions/thoughts:

- If your car leans, I'm going to guess it sits lower on the driver's side - this is the norm on many Esprits.  Quick solution is to swap the rear springs from left to right.  It will lean a little the other way, but your weight and a few thousand miles will level it out.

- The SPAX brand shocks have adjustable perches in the rear.  I don't know about the front.  I have heard rumors the SPAX shocks are no longer available, but I think I saw them on a vendor's site recently, can't remember . . .     

- To lower the car slightly in genenal, look into springs for a UK/RoW spec car instead of a Federal car.  I am not positive about this, but I think the Federal cars have stiffer springs to cope with the rougher roads.  The Federal car springs may raise the car higher a half an inch, too -- I don't know if this is true;  this might be something to look into.

- I know someone used to make adjustable rear lower links, as I have seen a few cars with them, but my guess is that was decades ago.  Maybe someone has some. 

- Tony

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• 8 months later...

It's now Available for everything but the Sport 300 & Sport 350. Order from Lotus Motorsport! More info shortly, including the number and prices. Poly bushes are available for the rear as well, but aren't really suitable unless you are fitting the new suspension, as they may be too hard. Fronts should be available soon.

kato

lew_small.gif

It's now Available for everything but the Sport 300 & Sport 350...

Not available for pre 85 cars yet although Geoff and Brian did say that they will be covering the S1,S2 and S3 (all pre 85 cars) and owners will be able to buy the kits in about 6 months. :D Great!

banner-1.jpg