free hit
counters
Would this work - Page 2 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Would this work

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

paul and jonathan, thanks for the help! looks like i can keep my total cost with tires under $2000 now! (It was going to be about $5000 if i went the forged route!)

im thinking of either of these, by HP Racing:

lightning:

lightningblk.md.jpg

split 5:

split5.jpg

the split 5 on an NSX (nice lip on back!):

NSXfront.jpg

shade

p.s. check out this better visual calculator for offsets and sizes:

http://www.bigcustomwheels.com/rt_specs.jsp

Or you could give Compomotive a ring, give them the pcd, offset, hub sizes (as they are hub centric as well) and sizes to them, they will make some rather gorgeous wheels knocked up which are exceptionally strong, look good and are about

Edited by qwerty123

they are in the UK... shipping to me in the US would be horrendous, they dont offer a 19 inch... which is what i wawnt for the back and none of their styles have a deep lip with a thin 5 spoke design:( ... price sounds decent though if it werent for shipping... your car looks awesome though!!!

cobraesprit, have you settled on anything?

shade

The adapter route is a lot simpler than you all are making out to be. Figure out the offests needed by subtracting the adapter depth from the desired ET, get the center bores of both the hubs (58/60mm) and the center bore of the new wheels (often 73mm) and give one of the machine shops I listed a call. Badda bing.

Luke Colorado, Super Spy.   -  Lotus Owner No Longer

1987 Zender Widebody 560SEC | 1994 Lotus Esprit S4 | 2013 Honda Fit EV (#269)

For me the reason for wanting 19" is to fit the largest diameter of brake disc I can, I am also looking at an increase of the overall diameter of the tyre ( rolling distance ) to try to reduce the number of revolutions to help with bearing speeds and tyre temperatures.

The other advantage to changing to the 114pcd is it opens up the choice of different designs, for me I also need a large increase in air flow around the brakes.

These are some of the wheels that I think would also look good

cruize19.jpg

wheel1.jpg

To me I like 5 spoke wheels !!!!!

Edited by cobraesprit

Cobraesprit, regarding the adapters, you had mentioned earlier in this thread that there is no "spigot" to locate the wheel on them... wouldnt getting hubcentric adapters made solve this problem and keep you from having to do a bunch of fabricating?

this means that there is a little added lip on the face of the adapter that helps the wheel stay in palce better:

HubcentricAdapter1_Lg.jpg

the wheeladapter.com place can do hubcentric adapters for an additional $25 per adapter....

now, MY question is, what are the hub sizes for the SE esprits like we have? Karmavore said earlier that they are 58/60mm but upon looking at espritfactfile.com it states that:

the front hub spigot diameter was reduced from 60mm to 58mm starting with the introduction of the S4.

so do the SEs have 60 front and back?

shade

SEs have 60mm all around. Lotus did this to keep idiots from putting the wider rear wheels on the front or, worse yet, mixing-and matching widths left to right. :)

Also, unless you plan to change rims every year you might consder having the wheel spigot made to match the wheels you are buying. It's cleaner and that much safer... and one less thing to worry about.

ok, another newb question (since ive never actually messed with my wheels or anything having to do with them in the slightest)... are the wheels held on with bolts or are there wheel studs coming from the hub?

my goeske at wheeladapter.com needs to know this and also the diameter of the bolt/stud....

shade

For the last couple of days I have been looking for some wheels for my car.

The 108 pcd and offsets are a pain in the a**e

So have came up with an idea.............!!!

If you don't mind me adding a thought here, is the solution becoming more complex than the problem?

:)

Edited by Roger the Dodger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

the adapter solution is actually pretty simple but im just making sure all the numbers are perfect before i order because i dont want to take the car to the wheel place on the day of the install and have them call me and be like "well the custom one-off parts you brought us dont work"...

shade

If you don't mind me adding a thought here, is the solution becoming more complex than the problem?

:)

It's really an easy solution but I empathize with Shade wanting to get all his numbers in order before ordering, but I will say this...

Shade: if you don't know whether your hubs have studs or nuts, and if you cant install these adapters yourself, this might not be a mod you want to mess with. Not trying to be a dick, jus' saying...

hahah i know! ive just never had to deal with anything wheel or hub or brake related down there so ive never had my wheels off in the three years ive owned the car! it doesnt get driven enough to warrant any problems there... my efforts have been focused in getting the car running in the tip-top shape it is supposed to be in, not customizing the wheels... :) its time i learned more about the other parts though right?? hah

shade

Edited by shadeone

maybe oversimplifying it but if you just want a set of bigger 5 spokes, Azev make wheels with blank centers that they machine to fit when you order. I got a set originally when getting Eagle tyres in 15" became a headache in 2006

http://www.wheels.uk.com/acatalog/alloy-wheels-azev.html types A and E types go straight on in 17" and you can get and fit tyres that maintain the rolling circumference, so no gearbox fiddling needed to keep acceleration.. they also give you enough room to fit 6 pot calipers in the front