free hit
counters
Anthony from Norwich - Page 2 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Anthony from Norwich

arbell9

In my opinion people are over educated today. More than 50% are in unis. That's too much.

We are in same situation than Kimbers. Our daugther Sonja (24 years) is in Turku University (

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave's point about reading a subject is spot on.

I asked a final yr tutor whats difference between a 1st and a 2.1 and a 2.2 (biochemistry/genetics/physiology degree subject)

He said (back in 1991 i think)

a 2.2 will give you a good answer, with many of the relevant facts and present the answer in a reasonable scientific way

a 2.1 will give a correct answer with most if not all releavent facts from lectures and course reading material

a 1st will give you info their answer that demonstrates wider reading and learning on the subject in addition to the lectures and proscribed reading.

He said its quite obvious who is bright and is doing extra, who is doing what they have to and who is dimmer or lazier.

Alex is 100% correct with his comments about how students live today compared with say 20 years ago ( which, as it happens, was when I was at poly ).

Year 1 : Halls, so I got one reasonable meal a day !

Years 2 & 3 : Bottom half of a terraced house, with a mate. We had one bedroom each, a kitchen and a bathroom. It was not very smart, but it was clean ( and we kept it clean ).

The gas and electric were paid weekly. I had a BBC micro even though PCs were about then. We drank in the Union bars because they were much cheaper than the town. I washed my clothes in the bath ( they never really looked that clean ! ). I can remember going to out to eat in a restaurant twice in 3 years.

Most students I knew ( me included ) did manage to live on their grants, if the watched very carefully what they spent their money on.

But, never mind the above, my big point is this :

A student knows they will be in debt when they finish, so they think "well, what's another

Right then, said Fred.

Similar to what the others have said, I graduated in 2003 and certainly I didn't have to go and dig up my own graphite to write with like some of you older guys :o but I still don't understand how people leave with quite such a large amount of debt.

Year 1: Catered Halls - at least one meal a day, pot noodle/soup from the cash & carry the rest of the time

Year 2: A grotty terraced house in Fallowfield shared with 4 others. I had the ground floor room with chicken wire across the windows and mould growing up the wall

Year 3: Slightly posher self catered halls with a university network connection

When in halls all the bills were included in the accommodation, and in the flat we just split it each quarter. We would drink (a lot) but it was at the student bars that were offering 50p/

Edited by lemoncurd

Lemoncurd

factory.jpg

Continuing the theme of education...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educa...rd-results.html

It won't be long until everyone gets an A* for their exams. I thought that exam results were to differentiate between people's level of knowledge and/or intelligence with regards to the subject. Surely a better system would be to give the best 20% an A, the next best a B and so on so that the clever ones show through, rather than A's now being awarded if you get higher than 50% in the paper! If everyone gets top marks, it makes the thing irrelevant as it's no longer an indication of how clever you are compared to your peers and since the only reason one would need exams is to get a job, the clever people won't be differentiated from the dumbos.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

We already run additional maths and English tests for some applicants. Some students who have gained GCSE maths & English grade C do not pass our (relatively easy) test.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

Dave's point about reading a subject is spot on.

I asked a final yr tutor whats difference between a 1st and a 2.1 and a 2.2 (biochemistry/genetics/physiology degree subject)

He said (back in 1991 i think)

a 2.2 will give you a good answer, with many of the relevant facts and present the answer in a reasonable scientific way

a 2.1 will give a correct answer with most if not all releavent facts from lectures and course reading material

a 1st will give you info their answer that demonstrates wider reading and learning on the subject in addition to the lectures and proscribed reading.

He said its quite obvious who is bright and is doing extra, who is doing what they have to and who is dimmer or lazier.

There are always exceptions to the rule. Keith Duckworth graduated with a 2.2. Einstein couldn't get accepted for a PhD course. They both weren't ones for learning by rote but would analyse and understand thinks which didn't necessarily make them good at passing exams. Or. even, to assess. In the States they use the grade point average (GPA) to show how well you averaged over the whole course. This is used through junior high, high school and college. I'm not sure, but I think an A grade in an exam means over 90%. I'm sure someone can correct me if I am wrong.

We are having problems with tghe fees for our daughter. When she was at college in Florida, she was charged as an out-of-state student because we, her parents, lived and paid taxes in California. When we moved to North Carolina, that still was true. Fair enough. Now she is going to college in North Carolina, they are still saying she is an out-of-state student as she hasn't been in North Carolina for long enough never mind that we have been paying taxes there. I suspect it's a scam to help colleges boost their funds while the economy is bad.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE