free hit
counters
Clutching, but no straws - Page 2 - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Clutching, but no straws

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tish pshaw eh <_<

Ok then, No oil in gearbox ? Tish that pardner :scooter:

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Hey nonny nonny, I think I'll leave it just a little bit longer.

Andy: NO!

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Oh, all right then.

Wrong friction disc supplied.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Yeah - I was gonna give you two a special mention, then I thought, sod it. <_<

Actually, I'm dying to know how this disc differs, as it seems to measure up OK. It's still on the car, and the correct disc is hopefully en route from the supplier, so I look forward to seeing them side by side...

Lagers by default Sparks. Get em in <_<

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Alex, I can confirm that you are 50% correct!

How did you determine it was the wrong disc without removing it and where did you get it?

Just curious because I know of several people who have had the same problem including me.

Edited by lotus4s

1995 S4s

I don't want to say who supplied it, because anyone can make a mistake and I don't want to cloud opinions of any known suppliers. If the supplier in question wishes to make himself known then I'm sure he will.

Suffice to say he contacted me today to warn me that I may have received an erroneous part, and is sending me the correct one. <_< Good man.

Could have done without the extra work and stress though. But all's well that ends well!

Reading it again, you mention that the flywheel was "skimmed".

There is a step to the original flywheel which lowers the pressure plate mounting face relative to the friction surface...

If that exact step height was not maintained when the flywheel was machined, then the pressure plate fingers will not be able to exert as much force on the clutch. Or if the step was made too high, then the pressure plate will not be able to release enough.

Even if the flywheel was machined and the step was maintained, the slave cylinder push rod must be adjusted some to achieve the same travel and to continue to allow some slip as the clutch reaches the end of its life.

Double check that the height of the step in the flywheel is correctly machined!

Also was there any distortion in the flywheel?

here's my last clutch btw

P4100170.JPG

here's a big version of my freshly ground flywheel so you can see the step

P4100161.JPG

here's the rest of my pictures of my clutch install

http://vulcangrey.lotuscolorado.com/galler...tch/?g2_page=11

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

Hi Travis

Yes - flywheel was skimmed and step maintained. Pushrod adjustment was made too. It's simply an incorrect friction disc. No doubt I'll have the chance to make comparisons as soon as the replacement arrives...

Hm. How would the friction disc just affect reverse. If it was breaking the contact with the flywheel and allowing selection of forward gears then surely reverse gear would also be attainable. Hope that was the problem but don't give away that prize too soon

Hi Mike

The plate dimensions maintained a bit of drag on the input shaft, so the box was always under a little torque. Synchro in all forward gears meant I could select them. I COULD get reverse, but not in a pretty way. New disc has apparently arrived, so we'll find out later!

Nearly there, Andy! Ran out of time tonight, but the new clutch is in and we'll have a verdict by lunchtime tomorrow. <_<

Hi guys. Replacement friction disc in, and it still drags. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh! Can anyone please confirm what the S4 flywheel step should be?

Getting desperate here. That bottle of Sailor Jerry is starting to look very attractive...

Edited by sparky

Well my clutch was set to 0.6mm step as the spec I was given was 0.5-0.6mm step with the friction area raised relative to the mounting area. I know the twin plate system is the other way round with the friction area set in relative to mounting area. The S4S is probably different spec step than the S4 / SE but the same way round.

If the step is increased (the area the friction plate sits on is made more proud of the are the pressure plate bolts to) it should increase clamping force, and so increase maximum torque before slip occurs, but it would probably increase drag even when the clutch is fully dis-engaged.

The step is the same for SE, S4 and S4s .5-.6 mm as Andy stated.

As Andy also mentioned, I did increase the step on my S4s to about .75mm for the additional clamping force and have not had an issue with any clutch drag using a stock S4s clutch and setup specs. I did this as an experiment because my S4s is pretty highly modified with significantly higher hp than stock.

Edited by lotus4s

1995 S4s

Cheers guys - looks like flywheel step is OK then. Finally biting the bullet and putting the old clutch in as a control test. It's not too worn - it was just an economic prudence while the box was off. Anyhow, let's see what happens...