free hit
counters
Lightning Strikes on Esprits - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Lightning Strikes on Esprits

Guest Chelsea Martyn

Guest Chelsea Martyn

I know that Esprits are non conductive as far as the shell of the cars go, but there is metal and a metal chassis too...

If lightning will jump through the sky, then why not through a few mill of fibre glass etc. to the metal areas

I watched Richard Hammond getting hit in a golf repeatedly in test set up in Germany on TV.

It's a myth that the rubber tyres earth out the current and therefore protect you, it's the body shell itself that takes the current, something to do with a pharide shell :) (boffins come in here)

So can an Esprit be hit? and would we be protected?

Thoughts?????

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

something to do with a pharide shell  :) (boffins come in here)

So can an Esprit be hit? and would we be protected?

Thoughts?????

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you mean Faraday cage / shield

Michael Faraday

to quote

Faraday stated that the charge on a charged conductor resided only on its exterior, and had no influence on anything enclosed within it.

basically lightening hits a metal car and the contents are OK

As the Esprit is GRP I don't believe this comes into it.

So if lightening was to strike an Esprit it'd probably crack it open like a good un and you'd not be too well.

Jez

Mean Green S4s

I think therefore I am - Descartes

I'm pink therefore I'm spam - Eric Idle

LOL if the lightning is jumping a few 100 feet from the sky to the floor you'll bet your life the tyres wont help as it'll just jump from the shell to the floor bypassing the tyres hehe.

You have to understand lightning strikes etc so figure why cars don't get zapped....electricity follows the path of least resistance and thats usually to the tall green thing which is nicely grounded....unless of course you're playing golf with spikey shoes :)

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Martyn

Don't worry, unless you're sat in your car in an open field in a thunderstorm with a big pointy metal rod in the roof you're pretty safe.

Funny though your avatar has your car picture in an open field, just the other two items needed........... what's your aerial made from?

:)

Jez

Mean Green S4s

Guest Chelsea Martyn
Martyn

Don't worry, unless you're sat in your car in an open field in a thunderstorm with a big pointy metal rod in the roof you're pretty safe.

Funny though your avatar has your car picture in an open field, just the other two items needed........... what's your aerial made from?

:)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL... just an hour after that pic. was taken along with a load more, the heavens opened and the sky was almost black! There was fork lightning about every two seconds, a real belter and one of the worst storms last year for ages!

There were loads of houses that goot hit, including a tree to the rear of the camera!!!!!!

My ariel? a standard V8 one now....

The other one was electric and kept extending to about 200ft! LOL :(

Top tip number 1.

Keep a kite in the boot of the car!

If ever you feel the cars in danger from bad weather, just get out the kite and fly that to protect it. :)

Edited by lrg_machine

Jez

Mean Green S4s

without question, the lightning will attack the tallest objects first. drive behind a taller car, or two. contrary to what others will tell you, a lightning bolt travels up to the sky and not from it like in the movies. film directors get away with being morons.

F*** me!

I never thought i'd agree with Teigan, but he is right that lightening travels from the ground upwards.

but it's not so much attacking the tallest object but the object it leaves last.

Confused yet??????????????????????

Jez

Mean Green S4s

Keep your speed under 88mph if there's lightening about  :(

Never know where you'll end up... :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

trying to convince Teigan to buy a Ferrari????????????????

Jez

Mean Green S4s

I like Lightning a lot.

When a common 'negative' bolt occurs the step leader comes from the cloud and is plainly visable to the eye along with any streamers it gives off as it moves to the ground. Some leaders can clearly be seen doing this seconds before the strike.

The streamer that gets closest to the ground it attracts opposite streamers to it...this is why high objects like trees and buildings usually get zapped becuase they are well grounded and are closer to the streamer coming from the step leader.

When a ground streamer touches a streamer from the cloud thats when you get a strike called a return stroke, the electricity generally (not always) flows from the ground to the sky (at the speed of light and WAY to quick for anyone to see).

Sometimes this don't even happen and you get the forks (streamers) go all over the sky and it looks all pretty and stuff :)

As Jez says, cars are safe, they act as a faraday cage but should be well insulated and low enough not to give off a ground leader anyways - unless you're on a golf course as I say.

And don't

be holding a golf club

Be flying a kite

Be holding a javelin

The Esprit body though !

would it act as a Farady cage? I don't think so ! even if the roof / panels were lined with foil

to act as an effective cage each part has to be electrically connected, and we all know how well lotus earthing tends to work.

Jez

Mean Green S4s

F*** me!

I never thought i'd agree with Teigan, but he is right that lightening travels from the ground upwards.

but it's not so much attacking the tallest object but the object it leaves last.

Confused yet??????????????????????

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

On the contrary--

According to SAE ARP5412 (AIRCRAFT LIGHTNING ENVIRONMENT AND RELATED TEST WAVEFORMS)

There are three types of natural lightning. :)

--"Flashes between regions of opposite polarity within a cloud (inter cloud discharges)."

-- "Flashes between regions of opposite polarity in different clouds (inter cloud charges)."

-- "Flashes from cloud to ground and from ground to clouds of either polarity."

Here's another one--A lightning strike to an aircraft can be triggered (initiated) by the presence of the aircraft in a strong electric field and will originate at the aircraft.

Not that any of you care about airplanes but think about this when you're driving down the road in an electrical storm. realize also that your SEAT is grounded to the frame with a pretty hefty ground strap.

The HOT-SEAT! :(

Hah! I don't care either, but just thought I'd share.

Given the car's not got a good natural conductor (unlike a steel one) - ie it's on small rubber contacts and not made of particularly good conductor -plus- the fact it's generally low I don't think it'd give off a good gound leader in comparison to its surroundings...

If it did !

I don't think there'd be much left of the car, you might be OK as the GRP carbonises it'll conduct better but I would have thought it'd catch fire pretty quickly a split microsecond later. You be better in than out I reakon which is pretty generic to most situations :)

I don't think it'd give off a good gound leader in comparison to its surroundings...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Like 2" high grass or a bush, or that mud puddle....

Hey, I'm just having fun here.

Chances are that all the local Microsoft milionaires wearing their gold chains, ear rings and those aluminum Razr cell phones bolted to their heads, sitting 7 feet tall in their SUVs-- will arouse the wrath of God before my Lotus does. :)

People do get hit by lightning in these parts, but the common denominator is that they are all terminally STUPID.

Never heard of any local car being hit.

it is possible. about a fourth of stormclouds are reverse polarity. the lightning flash will travel top-down. in these cases, the discharges happen within the cloud though because it takes a monstrous cloud to match the grounding potential of ;yes you guessed it, the ground. i'm not going to say these reverse discharges never ever reach the ground, but i'm yet to see one except at the movies.

Don't you mean "you never know WHEN you'll end up?!?!" :P:D

Keep your speed under 88mph if there's lightening about  :)

Never know where you'll end up... :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif