free hit
counters
Issues Getting into reverse... - Page 2 - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
funguy

Issues Getting into reverse...

3.5mm step on the newer twinplates between friction surface and mounting surface of the clutch cover/aluminum-alloy cage.. and it should look like that after the job flywheel.JPG

As the whole system can be separated, why not resurface even the intermediate plate !? Every modern CNC-type machinery should handle that.. .

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

just look into QE-section, page 3 : bigger step & friction surface lower as the mounting face ->the early single plate / page 4: smaller step & friction surface higher -> later twin-plate clutch.... .

we will see what type of flywheel he has, bud in any case it can be redone/regrind on the surface. I would not fear to have a worn plate -as it is common now to rework the material. What me worries is to get an usable plate if your own have tooth-profile problems :)

Mike told in his project on one page that an delivery of 60 complete clutch-packs was in the line from AP to Lotus (or who ever was meant !?) . As that was some time ago there should be some available now to separate the packs... .

Edited by G

OK, gearbox and clutch are out...

Yes, there is evidence of slippage on the flywheel. My next door neighbor is a machinist instructor and I called on him to help lift the gearbox out. He is going to resurface the flywheel as a class project and promises zero runout when he done. I trust him.

Can the pressure plates be reworked allowing me to only have to buy the friction plates? there is minor heat scoring on them, no ridges and no wear. if that's the case, I get to save a bunch of dough.

I think I found the source of the problem. The pressure plate springs on the flywheel side aren't springing... When I was looking at it in detail, there was one wing missing off one side of the spring. I checked the others, snap, snap, two of them broke off.

This explains the rapid wear on the clutch, slipping, etc.

So, here's the new question.

If the pressure plates are "good" can I get new pressure plate springs and use the existing pressure plates? Or is this something that just doesn't exist anywhere? Or, is this recommended? The clutch pack is about $4000, friction plates $1000.

I don't have that much experience with clutches at all so I'm relying on others experience.

For any newbies looking at pulling a gearbox, it's not a big deal. I was quite aprehensive about the whole procedure but after about 4 hours, it came out without issue. Much easier than I thought it was going to be...

as advised -*gearbox pulls* are not an mystery :wine:

..mentioning your 'rework'-plans: it is common to rework the friction plates by adding new friction-material if they are in good shape basically (run out, spline-tooths, rust, rivets for the center and so on..)

The intermediate plates (the pressure plates) are reused just by sand them down with grinding paper -if there is not big wear/heat suffering. Have never seen that someone had undone the riveted spring to reshape the whole plate with machinery. And so it comes that i do not know by now any source to get the springs on the intermediate separately (not to mention AP -maybe !?).

If you have some patience , than i can (after the joy of an other testdrive with my *reborn* car of course!) take a look in my storage room tomorrow. Maybe in one of my boxes of 'old parts' is an intermediate plate ,or generally something left from the first clutch pack that was in the car as i bought it.

for now : good night!

Edited by G

sorry to butt in

do yourself a favour and change the lot- it is cheaper in the long run.

i used to be in the cluch game and saw far too many people try short circuit this .

change spigot bearing,release bearing ,clutch/pressure plate and light machine of flywheel.

you will be better off.

richard

Technically sound ...Theoretically poked !

the main thing is: the spring-blades are different in rate. The blades faced toward the flywheel are only around 0.6mmx13mm , the others on the intermediate side around 1.2mmx13mm. Question is: can your friend in the machine-shop sort out to find some steel-blades that can be bend & get a temperature modification like a blade-spring ? With that way (and as the blades are simply added by conventional rivets -known in the metal industry/clutch rework services..) it should be cheap this way. BILD0435.JPG

Edited by G

Thanks Gunter.

There is a local clutch shop that has come recommended by a guy that builds can-am and indy lite cars. I'm going to take the pressure plate into them later this week.

If I am 100% comfortable that they know what they are talking about, great. I'll have the old stuff refinished...

Richard, I appreciate your comments BUT... I am not the multi millionaire that the maintenance level on this car requires. If I can save $2000, that's $2000 for some other toy (or portion of a toy). Not every dime I make needs to go into this car.

I haven't priced out the pilot (spigot) or release bearing but if history holds, I'm sure they are going to tell me something like $5000 for the pair.

When I was talking to a dealer in Toronto, complaining about getting screwed on the cost of parts, he just said "yah, it's Lotus." I think he was trying to make me feel bad...

Howard, I've done a engine rebuild -and have still some parts & money left. Even for me as a student it is possible to own (and use!) these cars. OK, I'm a mechanic too...bud what i want to point out is: You need to think in alternative ways. Not every time a 'dealer' is the first to ask.

Just for example: (as seen in my rebuild story..) sealing-rings, roller bearings and all those typical industry standard parts are common on various markets/sources. If you have problems with those parts -read what is written on them. Do a little research in www and on part-reference lists.

There are real good guys out here in the forum. Saved me a lot of money compared with official Lotus dealer quotes, or something from the German garages. Or you can get discounts while using *Full LEF member/club-esprit* status on the dealer network.