free hit
counters
Ram air conversion on LEW - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Ram air conversion on LEW

Is awesome! icon_smile.gif

My SE is totally standard but with the ram air conversion it begins to sound like a beast. On WOT you can hear it roar through the induction and you get one hell of a flutter when you take your foot off the gas! I really do have an excuse now for driving with my foot to the floor icon_lol.gif

Even on part throttle you get a nice loud noise through the induction system

For an hours work and no cost its one of the best mods out there!!! If I get chance over the christmas I may even shorten the pipe a bit more as I left some extra in case i measured too short!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Started to do it but didn't like the way water will have an easier passage to the filter. And we don't get that many rainy days here in oz either.

For those who have the ram air mod, have you noticed more distortion of your paper air filters?

DanR

Started to do it but didn't like the way water will have an easier passage to the filter. And we don't get that many rainy days here in oz either.

For those who have the ram air mod, have you noticed more distortion of your paper air filters?

I drive in the rain alot, and was worried about that too. My car had the "ram air" before I bought it in 2000. I actually added a drain while I had the fierwall out during a tank removal. see pics

http://www.lotuscolorado.com/vulcangrey/ga...emoval/P8100119

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

I have the ram air mod and drove through 2 massive rainstorms in the past year with no problems. It would be very tough for any real amount of water to get past the filter and airbox. I also recently changed my filter and there was nothing wrong with it and did not appear to have ever gotten wet.

Is awesome! icon_smile.gif

My SE is totally standard but with the ram air conversion it begins to sound like a beast. On WOT you can hear it roar through the induction and you get one hell of a flutter when you take your foot off the gas!

Untill somebody PROVES that this mod makes more power, and not just more noise, I'm going to leave mine stock. :lol:

Have qualms about where the water would go also.

I suppose you ram air proponents could find out for sure by taking your air filter loose, and putting a garden hose into the body air intake and giving it a good squirt!

BTW that cool flutter you hear may be your compressor going into surge, which is bad for it in the long run (don't worry, it's an original--umm--feature). Time for a bypass valve, if you feel so inclined.

Untill somebody PROVES that this mod makes more power, and not just more noise, I'm going to leave mine stock. :lol:

Have qualms about where the water would go also.

I suppose you ram air proponents could find out for sure by taking your air filter loose, and putting a garden hose into the body air intake and giving it a good squirt!

BTW that cool flutter you hear may be your compressor going into surge, which is bad for it in the long run (don't worry, it's an original--umm--feature). Time for a bypass valve, if you feel so inclined.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

a very good ram air system has a maxium theoretical power increase

of 5% on a normially aspirated engine, and thats only at very high speed.

with a high flow air filter, the ram air will increase the efficiency of the

turbo, i.e. the turbo will be able to sustain a higher flow at high boost pressures.

if you drive fast in the rain ( :D bad idea in a Lotus IMO), water will saturate

the airfilter.

cheers

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND

a very good ram air system has a maxium theoretical power increase

of 5% on a normially aspirated engine, and thats only at very high speed.

with a high flow air filter, the ram air will increase the efficiency of the

turbo, i.e. the turbo will be able to sustain a higher flow at high boost pressures.

if you drive fast in the rain ( :lol: bad idea in a Lotus IMO), water will saturate

the airfilter.

cheers

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True, but wait a minute!

This system that people here are touting is a re-routing of the tubes from the existing RAM-AIR inlet. If there is a ram effect, the stock system has it as well as the tube re-routing scheme that by-passes the airbox/silencer.

To say it in another way; The ram air effect is unchanged with the by-passing of the silencer box.

Ta Daaaa, there, I said it! Twice.

The only benefit would be if the silencer box is unduly restrictive. Nobody has shown that to be the case, IMO.

Oh, Merry Christmas all!

I did the Ram Con some time ago and I was amazed at the sound effects to the extent in the beginning I used to drive with the drivers window down!!!

Geoff.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I took the Esprit out today to meet my folks for christmas dinner,

i took my brother out in my car and popped the sunroof open purely

because of the noise of the conversion.

:lol:

I do think it is only noise though, and i don't really think it's a 'ram

air' thing as it's coming though it's original induction ear which is not

exactly the bold sticking out style scoop that i would associate with

a 'Ram air conversion'. Instead i think i'd desribe it as an induction

mod that gives more noise by removing the items that made it quiet?

I would do it purely for the noise, as it sounds nice.

B)

OK,

So how and what  do you route to do the ram air conversion.

Keith in B'ham Al. USA

1993 SE

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here is the guide that I followd: - http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EModificat...conversion.html

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I did the ram air conversion & at the same time remove the filter as well. Now the car totally sounds different when u 're ramping up the revs. my friend said he can hear the whoosh turbo sucking in air as i went past him & the pissing off sound when i changed gears. Esprits rules.....

nicholasshen

Taking out the air filter is not a great idea.

Dirt will go straight into your turbo spinning at 100 000 rpm and then pumped into the motor.

I will be surprized if your motor lasts for 10 000km this way.

Rather fit a BMC or K&N filter (Same as a Jaguar XJ6) that will give you improved flow without letting dirt through.

Duncan

Absolutely.

Running with no air filter is absolutely not what you want to be doing - like not even for five minutes.

Get a grain of snad in there and you have you're own microscopic sand paper rattling around in your piston chamber wearing them out.

The K&N filter is a great replacement. Adds a bit to performance and you never have to change it so it is also cheaper in the long run.

Ian