free hit
counters
Wont start when hot..... - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Stink

Wont start when hot.....

My series 3 lotus esprit 1986 has a big problem starting after being run.....

Once the fans have come on and the engine is upto good temperature, the problem occurs when i try to restart the engine after about 15mins.This is when it has to turn over for ages before it will start again.

Can anybody help me? or has anyone experienced this too?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I have a similar problem with my turbo esprit 1982. I didn't know if there is a similar issue with all NA esprits? I must have checked carbs/mixture/looked for leaks/compression a dozen times to determine if any of those were the problem to no evail.

I have been told on the later turbo esprit's 1986/87, a purge pump was installed to draw unwanted fuel/air vapour from the plenum in order to aid restarting when engine is still hot. Evidence of this is shown in Lotus manuals/diagrams. Don't know if it actually improves matters?

I have bought a secondhand purge pump just in case, need a soleniod and drill a hole in the plenum. Connect everything up to see if it works.

I am wondering if there is something else I should have checked?

Miguelito

Hi thanks for that, i have also heard about this pump but havent got a s3 mannual yet , one of the mates is trying to get hold of one for me , I have been told it may be something to do with petrol vapour still in the air box , can you let me know how you get on once the pump and celenoid are fitted , thanks .

Its me again, Check your air filter, make sure its not dirty and blocked. I would try running without, then with, to if there is any difference. However never run indefinitely without a filter, especially if garage is a dusty as mine.

My memory is not like it used to be, but I seem to remember on an S2 esprit I used to own there was a crank case breather connected to the filter box housing. If S3 NA's have a similiar set up check that this is not obstructed.

Best of luck, Dr Miguelito

Hi thanks for that will give it a try , my s3 has got the pipe connected from the bottom of the air box to the crank so will check and make sure that its not obstructed , thanks again.

Hi,

Normally aspirated esprits normally suffer anyway with hot start problems due to the fuel evapourating in the carbs and fuel lines when the car has been left standing hot, The only way that you will get round this or at least help it is by fitting fans in the air coolannt ducts of the engine bay surround to minimise heat when the car has been static with the engine bay switched off. Look on lotusespritworld.com under the owners section of G cars, the name Andy hills s3 esprit, he fitted extractor fans that ran on for a few minutes after the car had been switched off.

The only reason i add this is if it was a problem with filters etc it would not only be when hot, But the fans should help,

Regards danny

A

Here in the USA we are seeing more cars running on "special blends" (smog reducing) having problems with vapor lock. Especially cheaper gas running high ethanol. With a normally aspirated Esprit you don't have a return to the tank, which makes the situation worse. You might try running a good grade of fuel and insulating the fuel lines as best possible.

Best,

Jeff

www.espritturbo.com

Just like Dan says the problem is likely to be fuel evapouration. I have exactly the same problem on the S2. In fact it's always been there.

Whilst your cranking the engine, slowly start pressing down on the accelerator to squeeze some fuel through the carbs, and if there are no other issues she should fire up happily. It will always take slighty longer to start when the engine's hot.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Hot engine starting has often been a problem with cars fitted with carburetors. I had a Citroen CX 2400 that was a real barsteward to start when hot.

My recommendation would be to remove the carbs and go the EFI route. Fantastic hot starting and very little chance of fire from fuel dripping on the dizzy.

Apart from the throttle bodies, injectors and the EFI controller, the normally aspirated Esprit would require a high pressure fuel pump. Way to go.

Just like Dan says the problem is likely to be fuel evapouration. I have exactly the same problem on the S2. In fact it's always been there.

Whilst your cranking the engine, slowly start pressing down on the accelerator to squeeze some fuel through the carbs, and if there are no other issues she should fire up happily. It will always take slighty longer to start when the engine's hot.

Pete

i do the same thing with my s1,,just a little press on the throttle,and she fires right up ,,the engine cover in an s1 is basically an easy bake engine cover,,lol...