free hit
counters
Is it just me? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

As the title says. When ever i am out driving somewhere new or out in the country i am constantly nosing in fields and driveways as i drive past. Always on the look out for old cars projects etc. Im always thinking "hmm bet there is an old car stored here somewhere". Love reading about barn finds etc..

Is it just me am i the only one!!?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"looking down driveways" - Guilty Your Honour.

Spotted an extremely bad/knackered red Excel up on bricks almost past repair state up a drive less than a mile from home just last week.

Edited by mayesprit

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Think every petrol head does it! Have always loved the "rust in peace" section in practical classics aswell, Its the though of getting a bargain mixed with good feeling of bringing a classic back from the dead! And they are still out there look at the yellow s3 bought for

A

I spotted a gold coloured Excel almost covered (one rear light showing) a week or two ago, then a couple of days later the same car followed me for a mile or so. Found out it's been restored, so not a prospective project- Phew.

Glad its not just me then. I used to work out on the road a lot visiting customers in a previouse job. I came across a 355 in some bushes. Turne out that it needed a good service and a new engine mount thats all. It had sat for 3 years!! I asked if he would sell it and he said no i will get it going one day!!!! argh!!!!!!!!!!!! frustrating or what!

............... and pies :P

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

I love driving around looking for neglected cars in driveways! It's almost a hobby for me, and I usually bring a camera!

There are dozens of groups on Flickr or other photo sharing websites dedicated to neglected cars, plus there's www.carsinbarns.com. It's amazing what people find.

Dave - have you talked to the S3s owner? I'd love to hear a valid reason for letting a car like that go to waste!

restoring older cars is awesome but chopping them up is sacrimony

seen your 911 been wasted

a 1977 is a 3.0 with marvoullous lines and the flex bumpers

you've transformed it to a 964 ????

why

change the the engine and tech's but never the outside

if you want another look buy the other car

if you would drive up my driveway with that chopped up 911 i wouldn't sell my car to you either

rens

researche is something i do when i don't know what the hell i'm doing

Cartainly not a car for the purist i must say but a very pleasing result. I would love to have purchased a 964 Turbo but i didnt have the spare

I fully understand what you are saying and you must be a purist so im not the same side of the table as you. Dont get me wrong im all for originality but when you can make something personal and in my own opinion better than the original then why not. Growth in technology has given us the option to improve all the charicteristics of our cars so why not take advantage of that

i'm not a purist

if you wan't to improove the car do it properly

improve the drivetrain, brakes, shock's, use polybushes.

switch the powerplant and add everything possible

but

DON'T TOUCH THE OUTSIDE

in the end it has the looks but it's a kit car and only intersting to gti drivers who don't have the brains or money for the real thing.

you've bought a lotus now

there's a lot to improove on the original

but if you've bought a series 1 make it the best series 1 but keep it a series 1 and so forth.

i'm still a lotus enthousiast (even owning a trevor now)

DON'T F**K UP MY CAR

rens

I guess we will beg to differ on this one as we all have our own opinions and personal tastes. Just to advise as well the 911 now has a 3.6 varioram engine and G50 gearbox fitted so has huge power now! Oh and the Lotus will be personalised like it or lump it its my descision. Sorry!!!

Keep watching the rebuild if your interested.

Edited by USAndretti42
Deleted unnecessary quote of immediately preceding post

sure it's your decision

it's only that at the end there will be only a few mint oroginal examples left

will follow your rebuild

what did you get as a project car ?

S1,2,3 SE, S4,S4s,gt3,v8 ?

rens

I have started a thread, check it out its under "I bought a new project in the restoration section has few pictures. Bough an 81 S3 and all i will change looks wise is wheels to 17"

cheers