free hit
counters
What do you want in it? - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Advantage

What do you want in it?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

This luxury and driver comfort list is making it sound like a right grandads car...

Exciting not.

This is handy though if you guys get what you want, as i'm only 37 and too young to

get excited about or want a seat that heats, fans and massages my bottom, while bits

fold in and beep etc as i blunder around trying to park the thing.

Handy? because by the time i need the stuff listed, the car will be a cheap used buy!.

:doc:

One other suggestion not yet covered:

Rechargable nose and ear hair trimmer in glovebox.

:D

I think less is better in many ways...like the Evora...I dont see why they bothered with the Satnav? Two years down the line it will be naff( Or already by some accounts!! lol) Most people have Garmin or Tomtom and they are much better any how. Why dont they just have a space for your after market satnav then its future proof? Also like the Ipod conectivity whats the point, on my 1985 Blaupunk I just use a FM tuner do dah thingy so there is no need for extra wires or holes?

And cup holders!!! my people carrier has cup holders you think Mr. Chapman would have said yes to cup holders? Then again I guess he did seem to like his ash trays!! lol

Just my thoughts

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Personally, I'm not a big fan of heated seats, power seats, cup holders, etc. I think that the purpose of a car be it either a Honda or a Lotus is to get from A to B. I realize that over the years people have requested makers to include all of these conveniences, and thats fine, but it still comes down to a vehicle as being a mode of transportation in which the safe operation is of premium importance and the consumption of food and drink should not be taking place while driving. Looking at modern cars with buttons knobs and gadgets for everything makes me wonder how well those items are going to continue to function in 20 years. IMO the functionality of these limited vehicles in which most of us have had the pleasure of driving and owning can most certainly be ensured to continue working as intended which I can't say I would agree that the touchscreen monitors and built in sat nav system in every Toyota built today will have the same future.

I myself would like to see Lotus stick with their roots in making cars that are inovative in design and performance rather than follow the lemmings and load up with useless junk that takes away from the pleasureable experience of driving.

*steps off soapbox*

what's with I-net connectivity :doc: -would make a bit more of 'modern Bond theme' in this -as it will still be called a British gentleman's-GT !?

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

A built-in SatNav should be better than a Garmin or TomTom as it will use dead reckoning to supplement the satellite signal so you don't lose input when in tunnels or between tall buildings. It also remembers where you were when you switched off and assumes that's where you are when you switch on so you don't have to wait while the unit finds satellites each time it's powered up. So I'm for the SatNav.

What else would I like? No CD player. Instead I would want a USB port into which I could plug a memory stick or MP3 player. Lighter and less space-hungry than a 6-disc player and holds more music for long trips when, frankly, 6 CDs are not enough.

An alpha-numeric display to tell you in simple English, or the language of your choice, what fault code as tripped the engine warning light.

What about a configurable dash like that in the new XJ saloon?

No parking sensors. I believe that if you can't park your car without guidance, you shouldn't be driving a fast car. On that point, though, I would like decent visibility in all directions. The NSX managed it. The R8 can do it and most Ferraris can. To be honest, I never found the Esprit too bad in this respect as the rear screen reached almost all the way to the back of the car. (I'm talking about the S2. not a turbo.) The over-the-shoulder visibility was poor though making lane changing, particularly to the passenger side, difficult and taking away from the driving enjoyment.

Cloth seats as an option. Leather is too sweaty when it's hot.

My laptop battery is dying so that's all for now.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Oh, and forgot to mention.....If you have to use an F1 style transmission, PLEASE also offer the option for a conventional 5 or 6 speed. I feel that the F1 style detracts too significantly from the driving experience and just feels too much like an automatic.

A built-in SatNav should be better than a Garmin or TomTom as it will use dead reckoning to supplement the satellite signal so you don't lose input when in tunnels or between tall buildings. It also remembers where you were when you switched off and assumes that's where you are when you switch on so you don't have to wait while the unit finds satellites each time it's powered up. So I'm for the SatNav.

My Garmin assumes Im where I was when I turned off and many tunnels are now connected so you dont loose signal. Oh and my Garnim cost

personally i like that new Evora SatNav toy. Why not like that !? (as the 'all new' Esprit will be nothing else as an modified Evora (just my point of view..) ).

Some of the optionals in the Evora are just 'US market gadgets' -who needs to have door handles with LED illumination and other stuff ? An dual bright & shiny footwell illumination is good enough... .

The point with 2/ 2+2 , like in the Evora is an other thing:

...think the Esprit needs to be an pure 2 seater GT -as it was before... . If it really comes out with an engine fit that is not a V8 put in 'straight ahead' (depending on final drivetrain source :doc: ..) -than reduce the wheelbase/inside length & fit the engine in more in the middle -bud with an wider trunk in the rear. The trunk shape in the Evora is more for a sportsbag/golf back -what i like to have is an more square shaped place for more variability in luggage type. Like it was in the Esprit ! So maybe it needs an change in position of gearbox/engine -compared with the 'donor car'

On board computer with some useful informations is an good point:

...no 'blinking an ring ring' with colored lights that none would understand who is not informed what SAE symbols mean -or that his car really had an water reservoir or runs with oil..., just an underline row of one digit hight in the speedo ,that tells you what's the problem. Not code numbers, more as a text -for those who would like to have an *Knight2000/KITT* feeling with there car.

On the other point regarding seats: -SE leather seats feel like an couch, just to wide in the back -without any support or feedback to the car [hey, and I'm a fat guy too..] . Bud the slim Elise Probax seats, or just the sport300 seats are not reclinable (as Laura mentioned) -So we need an combination of both ! Most important on seats is the hight of the back support- the human is taller now compared with the standards of 1960! The old Esprit seat hardly goes up to my shoulder blades and the headrest is useless and only an pain in the shoulder/neck !! The probax seats in Daniels MK2 are much higher & much more comfortable in that point (bud the seat area is not long enough..... . It does not go under your knees, an hurts the mussels in the legs.).

Interior:

...could be with more modern structure or at least modern surfaces -something that is easy to clean [wet & dry], bud looks 'high class' like alcantara and the other typical luxury materials. The standard V8 GT vinyl dashboard is a pain in the eyes, especially in the sun -it reflects all around bud nothing you would like and is not 'scratch resistant' . I found that the Elise MK2 seats are available with some nice synthetic texture-clothing -that is robust, looks modern & 'high class' , bud don't know what it is ... . Would be interesting to see it on the whole interior, at least as application inserts or something like that. Oh, and mentioning interior: the latest ['98 on ] GM/Opel interior parts are just not done with a quality fit. The plastic elements are to stiff to fit with the Lotus 'handbuild' (and therefore not always well shaped) interior elements/door panels and so on. Same is for the Rover ventilation outlets.. . So if an unique interior element production is not practicable -go on with more detail-quality on the fit in of external sourced parts ! I can see the wiring for the speaker/door mirror on my RH door panel between dorhandle an panel !! 'Uuurgggghhh! -Kit car feeling at its best :D

Now I'm reunited with my charger I can continue my list.

What about A/C or, at least, ventilation for the boot? Mid-engined cars suffer from them getting hot because you have the engine just in front of it and the exhaust coiled up under it without the benefit of the spare wheel well providing insulation. So anything traveling in the boot gets roasted. Not good for a grand tourer.

Please one thing I wouldn't want are rattles and squeaks. Theyare so distracting as you try to work out where they are coming from.

I'm not to fussed about the reclining seats. The fixed ones in my S2 were just right.

Not bothered about a paddle shift, either, but the manual change needs to be positive and light and quick.

A light in the glove box would be nice. Finding stuff in the S2's involved a lot of groping. While I am all for a good grope in a car that was not the sort of grope I enjoy.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

glove box is an good point, especially as it was for now just an 'optional' -if you would/could say 'No' to [dual]SIR. That is not state of the art. Please add an glove-box even on SIR fitted cars !!

Edited by G

One more thing, an ignition key, if there is one, on the dash or centre console, not on the side of the steering column where you can't find it.

lots of stuff suggested that I can't see them fitting but hey, each to their own.

my ideas are

track day upgrade options like weight saving carbon panels/seats/harnesses/cage/track computer/brakes/exhaust/suspension/tyres (particularly tyres as Yoko A048 in the big V8 sizes are about

I have finally worked out the most important thing that i would like in the new esprit. It's not cup holders or bluetooth or flappy paddle gearbox or stability control. I do agree with the ability to raise the front for some driveway entrances though.

The most important thing in the new esprit would have to be...

...Me.

(though with Evora getting here at circa $150k, the esprit will be waaayyy out of my price range) :(

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Erbert

I like the things you said are important. Stuff that makes the car better for driving; light weight stuff and decent wipers etc. Its easy to think about the toys but IMO the main thing about a new Esprit is driving it. Thats what matters and anything that stops you thinking about it I think is not needed. You want a drink? Pull over and get one. Music I like as it helps you on long journeys and drive faster if you choose the right track....Italian Opera is good!

Buddsy

I should think, as an electrics and creature comforts are concerned.

The Evora Layout looks good.

One multi function display with satnav ,radio and phone(bluetooth and usb connection) in the middle,

Other multi function display behind the steering wheel

with Rev, Speed, oil and water temp, fuel, battery.

2 Display's basically, can be done below 1kgs.

As luxury airco, elec windows. (maybe even central door locking)

NO heated or electrical adjustable seats

NO steel folding roof.

NO rear seats

NO emotion key or starter button (what's wrong with the light and efficient key)

NO sound engineering extra useless valves in the exhaust system

NO old fashioned no substitute for cubic inches engine

I think that's about it. maybe more later

VAN DER LEE Turbo Systems     -      www.vdlee.com

Everyone has their ideas: it amazes me how diverse they can be.

For me I'll just say cupholder, not that I will be affording this car anyway.

"At home, I have a King Sized bed. Now, I don't know any Kings, but I would imagine if one were to come over, he would be comfortable." -Mitch Hedberg

Ejection Seat!!!

No really.

1)Cup holder could give or take -- I agree it is nice to get out and strech your legs

2)Stereo simple one with USB and Aux and iPhone interface.

3)Built in Nav. ( NO ) IMHO I think the Lambo looks silly with a LCD screen in a supercar

4)Instant up and down windows

5) Please no paddle shifter 1) looks stupid w/o stick 2) Needs a 6th gear ( strong gearbox)

6) keep low profile and play off final run Esprit not Evora. Evora looks like a grown up

elise, we dont need a grandparent in the family

7)Totally agree with ride height adjustment for driveways and speedbumps

8) great idea to have LCD display ( maybe small one on dash like the Gallardo ) that

will give you CEL info and tire pressure and other tidbit info like that

I don't think it needs much - Just a fresh updated exterior in keeping with the Esprit

wedge design. Balls on power to weight as close to 50/50 as possible. Handling is a

no brainer and make it stop on a dime.

I think with the final run Esprit, the Elise/Exige and Evora, Lotus has it in thier bag

it just needs all the pieces of the puzzle put together correctly with quality a paramount

wow did not mean to go so long, but I hit a slow patch a work

Lotus World F1 Champions 2010 badge!!

I agree with mvesprit you need some level of comfort but dont want to get bogged down in gizmos. Less is more...more or less.

Buddsy