free hit
counters
Hello from Los Angeles - Introductions - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jbrookstone

Hello from Los Angeles

Hello, all. As of mid-November, I am the owner of a yellow USA final run edition of the Esprit V8.

My impressions during the first month...

Not subtle. Loud in color and engine note. Giant wing in rear. Not terribly refined or smooth. Deceptively quick as well as fast. Requires a driving style unique to the car in order to avoid getting into trouble. Mid-engine, low polar moment of inertia means fast steering response, and an easy spin if not watched. No electronic help on tap, so demands attention - which is the whole point. This is a drivers car that likes to run, period. Oddly tight turning circle for this class of car - more like on a Volvo RWD. No turbo lag worth mentioning and plenty of torque over 2000 RPM. But easy to stall off the line in casual driving. Long, low front overhang means the nose loves to meet the road at any opportunity. So I've pulled off the lower rubber air dam before it shreds.

Kids will sometimes stop and cheer at the Esprit when it goes by. Owners of other ...exotics... ask "is that a Lotus" (well.... yes). Recently a business owner invited me to park in front of the door while I shopped and assigned an employee to watch it. And LA is pretty jaded when it comes to automobiles, so this is unusual. Never had a similar reception when driving the F355 (black).

I think the only similar machine that might have as much "Wow!" factor over here currently is the new Ford GT-40. Which is a light-bodied, twin turbo V8 without active stability control or active suspension. Similar formula to the Esprit.

Hats off to Colin Chapman, Peter Stevens, Jason Lane (he signed my Esprit's engine) and the other fine engineers & craftsman who created this remarkable machine. There is nothing else like it on or off the road. And it needs no excuses.

Congratulations to other Esprit owners - of this piece of uncommon history. Hope to talk to all of you in due course.

Best Regards,

Jay Brookstone

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Welcome to the forum!

Aside from the high wing, your post pretty much captures my experiences also. As for the Ferrari, my guess is that a black 355 tends to hide the delicate and subtle curves the car has; I'm sure a yellow one would get more attention. It's one of my favorite Ferraris.

-Dave

All Cows Eat Grass

good stuff. I'm just a backwoods hick chillin' in Riverside. No ape drape though. No one out here pays attention to my car.

Always good to have fellow Californians to celebrate the 85 degree Christmas :lol:

slade

Edited by slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7

hi there welcome to the mad house, and merry esprit christmas

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

Guest teigan

nobody gives a toss about my car. i'd have to paint it pink to get recognition. small children do stare and remark that it's flat.

Hi, Dave:

On the F355 - agree on the styling. My favorite Ferrari body, though I still like the classic 308/328 bodies as well. Magnum PI did for Ferrari what Bond did for Lotus. The previously mentioned F355 is a '95 GTS, gated shifter with tan interior. I like the styling GTS best, particularly with the top popped. A great car for cruising PCH. That said, the Esprit blows its doors in, though its much more difficult to drive with finesse. I really can't imagine the Esprit being more difficult to maintain than the 355 - mention "valve guides" to anyone with a '95 to '98 F355 and you are likely to receive a strained expression in return - probably due to the memory of an $11K-$21K service call. Which is one reason the car will very soon be vacating my garage. There is a reason Ferrari engines drop out so neatly. They have to for regular maintainence. (OK, so I'm whining)

To everyone out there with an Esprit that's been ignored - try a bright yellow repaint and a performance exhaust that's short on silencer packing. Then throw the radar detector away - its a lost cause anyway. Seems to work for me, though mine came from the factory that way.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays, everyone! Now, back to the single malts!

Best Regards,

Jay

Welcome to the forum!

Aside from the high wing, your post pretty much captures my experiences also. As for the Ferrari, my guess is that a black 355 tends to hide the delicate and subtle curves the car has; I'm sure a yellow one would get more attention. It's one of my favorite Ferraris.

-Dave

HI Jay. Happy holidays and welcome to the forum form another owner in the Southland. Like the story about parking outside the shop.

Have you put pictures of you car in the garage yet?

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Welcome to the forum Jay :lol:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Welcome! We have a great Esprit community in OC/LA area (see www.southcoastlotus.com) and meet each Saturday at Crystal Cove just South of Newport Beach (7-9AM). Register on the SCLC site and we'll keep you posted to any local LA/OC events.

Cheers!

Paul

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

Just posted an image of my Esprit in the "Garage"

Paul: Thanks for the invite - I'll take you up on your offer and register.

Best Regards,

Jay

Welcome! We have a great Esprit community in OC/LA area (see www.southcoastlotus.com) and meet each Saturday at Crystal Cove just South of Newport Beach (7-9AM). Register on the SCLC site and we'll keep you posted to any local LA/OC events.

Cheers!

Paul

[post-1017-1135903489.jpg