free hit
counters
Firewall / Bulkhead to chassis mountings - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Firewall / Bulkhead to chassis mountings

My Esprit suffered ( or rather I suffered ) from clunks and bangs when travelling on rough roads of which there are many in this part of Australia. I found the guide on LEW describing how to tighten up the bulkhead fixing plates behind the seats. I found that my car did not have the inside mounting plates as described. It simply has bolts with big thick washers inside the car which then bolt through to the chassis mounting plate in the engine bay. I guess the plate and spacers didn't make it into the cars until after 1988.

Anyway, I got under the car and managed to find the nuts inside the engine bay, and Missus Wife tightened up the bolts from inside the car - she got about 3 full turns on all 4 bolts. What a difference, all clunks and bangs have now gone. Well worth the effort.

Too many Toys are never enough !

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got that job to do too, although already tried tightening but they are siezed solid on the nuts....!

Also someone in their infinate wisdom decided it would be best to not put the bolt and washer under the insulation on the bulkhead so it also clamps through this which makes it even worse!

I'm thinking of using a larger diameter bolt and drilling an additional hole so that the wear in the wooden bulkhead is removed by the redrilling and larger bolt and so that with the third bolt, a larger force can be applied and therefore I won't have to do this job ever again! :)

Edited by Simon350S

Chunky Lover

• 5 years later...

I think this is what I'm now getting in my car, loud clunking and knocking from behind the drivers seat, it's gradually got worse. I also have a very bumpy road to get to the main road from my house so over the years it's shaken itself loose.

Before you dive in and start cutting access flaps in the carpet, have a look in the engine bay at the vertical aluminium coolant pipe (the one from the thermostat that curls around the alternator).

The mount to the corner of the chassis behind the driver's seat (RHD) can sometimes break giving similar symptoms to the bulkhead bolts.

• 2 weeks later...

Before you dive in and start cutting access flaps in the carpet, have a look in the engine bay at the vertical aluminium coolant pipe (the one from the thermostat that curls around the alternator).

The mount to the corner of the chassis behind the driver's seat (RHD) can sometimes break giving similar symptoms to the bulkhead bolts.

My bracket has been broken ever since I've owned the car, I used some cable ties, but this not my noise, it's coming from behind my head. I have felt the carpet, there seems to be a bracket about this height, so will investigate.

I fixed my firewall/baulkhead  banging today. I did what was suggested, removed about 3/16th off the end of the steel tubes, also fitted new bolts and nuts as the other had got cross threaded. The banging and clunking sound has gone now, so when I finally take the engine out I will do the other side as it will be easier to do with no engine in place.

I've also added some felt to the sunroof hinges to stop that rattling and I will finally purchase the bracket to hold the water cooling pipe, replacing the cable ties. The carpet tore a little, but I will repair that when I am doing the engine.

19614852405_229407b1d0_b.jpg

19426913690_c8cc3bfce4_b.jpg

18992310554_e10cc156bb_b.jpg

19588668456_2871803fb0_b.jpg

I've also added some felt to the sunroof hinges to stop that rattling and I will finally purchase the bracket to hold the water cooling pipe, replacing the cable ties. The carpet tore a little, but I will repair that when I am doing the engine.

There was an official Lotus fix for the sunroof tongue rattle that advised coating the tongue in a release agent (like Vaseline), squirting some sikaflex into the receiver and then inserting the sunroof. Leave until set and then remove the sunroof panel. This way you get a snug, rattle free fit.

Mine has the same problem so this is what I'll do when I get to my headliner replacement.

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

• 2 weeks later...

My cabin is quiet as anything now, since fixing the baulk head clunking sound I have now purchased and fitted new door seals and a new sunroof seal. 

I went out in the car last night, not one knocking sound from the roof and doors are silent. It's surprising how flat the old seals had become over the years, you really have to slam the doors now to get them to shut. The fix ain't cheap, genuine door seals were £59 each and sunroof £15 per metre, needing 3 metres of seal, but I think it has vastly improved the bangs and rattles in the cabin area.

You can still hear other rattles, but they will be dealt with!  :D

My cabin is quiet as anything now, since fixing the baulk head clunking sound I have now purchased and fitted new door seals and a new sunroof seal. 

I went out in the car last night, not one knocking sound from the roof and doors are silent. It's surprising how flat the old seals had become over the years, you really have to slam the doors now to get them to shut. The fix ain't cheap, genuine door seals were £59 each and sunroof £15 per metre, needing 3 metres of seal, but I think it has vastly improved the bangs and rattles in the cabin area.

You can still hear other rattles, but they will be dealt with!  :D

One of my door seals is torn and the sunroof one is also looking a bit flat/tired. Did you go for genuine seals or something else?

The seals are all genuine seals, purchased from Stratton Motors. The sunroof one has a special lip in the compression part, so buying non-genuine you may not get as good a seal.

Thanks Owen, good to know. Shame you're not a full forum member or else Bibs could have got you 10% off

• 5 years later...

I'm seeking a detail or two in regard to the updated fixing plate used in later Esprit for attaching the body - chassis at the aft firewall. Remarks on shortening the spacing tubes imply they are not permanently attached to the studs, correct? Second question - are the holes in firewall large enough for the tunes to pass through entirely or just large enough to permit the studs through one one side?

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Thanks, Atwell, looks very good and not unlike that which I'm fabricating with 10mm bolts. Interesting that you have tacked the engine side nuts in place, hadn't occurred to me. Thinking of leaving the spacers free on the fasteners so that they might be shortened if, in future, that seems called for.

Cheers