free hit
counters
fram ph16,,beware - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

fram ph16,,beware

s1guy

when i bought my s1 a few months ago i changed the oil and filter,there was a fram ph 16 in it so i replaced it with the same,,200 miles later ,i lost oil pressure ,after talking with tony k, i replaced the filter with a lotus filter,,upon inspection, the seal inside the fram filter had come loose blocking oil flow,,the first fram filter i changed was still in my garage, after checking that one, it too had the seal come loose,,,i,d stay far away from these,,i,ll take some pics if anybody has any doubts,,,

Edited by s1guy

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fram are actually one of the largest manufacture of filters for the OEM market. I deal with them direct for work. I would suggest reporting the failure to them as they may be unaware of any issues.

Maybe you guys on that side of the pond get different oil filters but over here they don't have a very good reputation.

Poor construction of the anti drainback valve is a big complaint (among others) which is a very important function particularly with our engines and the high filter location.

If anyone is interested, here's an interesting read on oil filters.

oil filter study

1995 S4s

Thanks for posting this, Ken. You're not the first Esprit owner to have a Fram filter fall apart -- hopefully others will see this.

- Tony

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

hi , its been said plenty of times, use a genuine lotus filter, this might not have happened ,saying that i use fram on normal everyday stuff, its down to choice i suppose, [ and cost] but in mine its genuine when i change oil,[ good oil aswell], heart of a healthy engine, steve

I use the Mann filter. High quality.

Other than that, I'd use Mahle or genuine Lotus.

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up using a Mobil 1 filter. I got a packaged oil change deal from the local auto parts store that offered 5 quarts of mobil 1 synthetic plus mobil 1 filter. Ended up having to get a few extra quarts but so far everything seems normal. Anyone have any experience with the mobil 1 filter? If so, positive, negative? Unfortunately I didn't plan on the oil change when I did it (just decided to on the spur of the moment), otherwise I would have ordered an OEM filter.

No comments on the Mobil 1 filter, but every time I drain the standard Mobil 1 synthetic 15W50 out of a 9XX engine, it looks like it has glitter in it (hold the drain pan out in the sunlight). I'm no oilologist (made up word), but I think this is because of the lack of ZDDP, as has been the controversy. I've used Valvoline VR1 Racing 20W50 for a long time now, and the sparklies in the pan have always been zero to barely a trace of extra fine after 3000 miles. As a bonus, it also gives better oil pressure than the Mobil 1. I use Red Line in my 308 (also a solid lifter engine) and it seems okay, too. Both companies brag about having 12-13ppm of ZDDP; for now, I believe the people who say you need it in these older engines.

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

• 1 month later...

Anybody have experience/opinions on the K&N Gold oil filters? They make one to fit these engines... was wondering because I was probably going to change mine this week.

i took a look at them also,,looks like a pretty well made filter and has an antidrainback valve,,,and a nut on the end that makes removal and install easier

• 1 month later...

Last week, I cut apart a Fram PH16 filter on an S2. The paper element inside was thin, flimsy, and literally all over the place -- not orderly like it (presumably) was when manufactured. The Fram is also a smaller diameter than the genuine Lotus filter (... or the Mann).

Pyropolymer -- I use the B253 on my 308! :lol:

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE