free hit
counters
Trouble locating steering wheel hub - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Trouble locating steering wheel hub

It's pretty difficult finding a steering wheel hub when the car you own now has no steering wheel (long story . . . had it mail the old one back to the previous owner). I know for sure that the 1989 car's hub (which I have spares of) will NOT work on the 1997 V8 car. Also I'm sure I am not the only V8 owner who needed to replace a steering wheel or hub.

The PO had a Grant hub cobbled up to a Momo wheel. Though the engineering was a little rough, it did work. According to him the only hub he could find that fit the V8 was from an early 90's Isuzu Impulse. I have no easy way to confirm this and I've been waiting 4 weeks for such a Grant hub to arrived from a local "speed" shop. Grant seems to ship stuff only rarely to that shop.

Does anyone know of what hub will work on a 1997 Esprit V8? Since the steering wheel is off a late 90's Pontiac Firebird does that car's steering shaft spline # and diameter match the Esprit's?

Many thanks if you should know.

AP

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is what I have found out. The Momo hub #4603 is the one that will fit an airbag-equipped Esprit, including the V8. It contains a 15.5 mm outer diameter hole with 28 splines. However the Mo

If your SE originally had an airbag wheel, any hubs you have will fit both cars.

The Isuzu adapter is the only aftermarket one I'm familiar with that will work other than a custom piece. You can also buy the hub adapter parts from Lotus that were used on the non airbag models in Europe. Check with JAE for availability.

1995 S4s

Isn't the whole steering column on the SIR fitted V8's an GM/Opel part -from my point of view it looks as that !? Every Opel Vectra (Vauxhall 'Vectra') or similar should be the same... ..

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

This is what I have found out.

The Momo hub #4603 is the one that will fit an airbag-equipped Esprit, including the V8. It contains a 15.5 mm outer diameter hole with 28 splines. However the Momo #4603 hub is rare . . . likely because they are out of production. That hub was meant to fit the early-90's Isuzu Impulse and the to-mid-90's Geo Storm. Both these cars came with airbags.

By visiting a local boneyard I found the Geo Storm comes with an alloy-spoked steering wheel with an intergal alloy hub. This allows me to cut apart the Storm's steering wheel and lathe the Storm's hub into a 1.5" diameter sleeve containing the spline that can be inserted into any modified Momo hub. TIG weld the two together and you have a custom hub with very little machining work.

This MIGHT be the only easy way to get a Momo compatible hub for the Esprit if model #4603 cannot be easily had. Of course, assuming you have access to a lathe and welding equipment.

By-the-way the Esprit SE I own (without airbags) uses a Momo hub that matches one off a first generation Mazda 323. The spline count is higher and the diameter lower . . . so it is not match what the V8 needs.

AP

• Thanks 1