free hit
counters
Bilstein Shocks - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Bilstein Shocks

Ok So I was not too impressed with having just a packet of parts with no assembly diagram.

IMG_1490.jpg

IMG_1492.jpg

I guess these bushes go in the bottom eyes on the dampers? Well my bushes measure 27.00mm dia but the eyes measure 26.78mm dia. I know there is paint on there but even still. What am I ment to do??? Go at it with emery cloth, press fit them in?? I just dont know there are no instructions!!!

IMG_1493.jpg

IMG_1494.jpg

For

Edited by Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Still, it isn't exactly straight forward - I had to make sure with Brian before fitting.

Obviously the large ring and the split ring to the platform height.

1st thing to fit is the large rubber bump stop - do you have that ? And then a large washer goes ontop of that - then the blue damper cover.

The top bit shoudl look like this

3910059592_75febef0d1_o.jpg

The 2 rubbers are not symetrical, the slightly curved face goes on the funny shaped cups.

Inside the rubbers is the small metal sleave.

facebook = [email protected]

With all due respect Jon (and it's great that you've posted that pic - it'll help many LEFers, I'm sure) that's fairly basic stuff and follows the usual way of mounting dampers.

As I stated before, the manufacturers of such kits assume that the purchaser has some knowledge of what they're doing or will consult someone who knows what they're doing, before embarking on such a project.

It's a good job forums such as these are around so that help can be gleaned at the click of a mouse.

Well I guessed at it and got it right but still made sure with Brian before tightening any bolts.

For the sake of a piece of paper why leave it to chance ?

When you spend all that money developing a suspension system for a car like a Lotus, as I say, why take the chance over a simple instruction ?

All it takes is a small exploded diagram and there is no confusion.

BTW those bushes are supposed to be a BIG press fit - thinks, you dont want the damper moving sideways on that bush. You'll need a hydraulic press to get that in (no a vice wont even touch it without stripping the thread) the eye at the botton of the damper will swell as well. I would take the paint off to encourage the fit and also encourage it to fuse together (rust) - mine btw came already pressed in :)

Thanks Jonathan & Andy very helpfull. Thats what I had guessed at but when you buy something such as these you would expect an exploded diagram just to make sure you have got the parts the right way around. Im sure you could get away with rubbers the wrong way around but I like everything to be just so. Im sure there are many experts with parts assembles ask about face!! lol I still think for the price of a photocopied bit of paper it would just make things crystal clear.

Buddsy

Edited by Buddsy
  • Like 1

not a bad price for the bits, considering Lotus ( 7 F1 wins remember) developed it...

buy parts from any other premier sports car company and yes, you get comprehensive fitting instructions.

or not.

Perhaps phoning Mr Massey at the factory might help. He will, if available, give expert advice.

On this guys, at some point I will have to replace the shocks on my car, but last night for the exercise, I went to the Bilstein website and the Lotus Esprit isn't on their list??? As lots of people on here would have done their suspension by now, what other options are there for esprits?

Thanks.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

You can exclude me from the "most people", after two years of low mileage driving their was virtually no damping left in them and they certainly didn't get the car feeling right when new, unlike the Lotus developed ones.

.....and when you have finally fitted them, you will have to wait for ages for the car to settle to a reasonable ride height.

i did mine with the new lotus kit about 6 months ago and its still sitting a bit high. At this rate, its gonna be at least another year

For christs sake, set the big circlips on the lowest settings, to save you from doing it twice.

And then welcome to the 4x4 esprit lookalike club :wine:

I believe that lotus may have come up with a different ride height for the new springs and shocks, but just didn't bother to tell anyone about it. The new kit is very different in its charateristics from the old setup, so there must also be a better setup for the geometric settings too! Everyone seems to stick to the old values.

Until we find out more, we just have to put up with upgrade kits with no instructions!

What do you wanna know ?

Mine was taken to Lotus to have the geo re-done and the ride height checked and everything was in spec when finished so the dampers are correct.

It does look high but....

Laden the car correctly (2x 75KG passengers + 1/2 tank of fuel) before measuring the ride height.

If they're high re-set the suspension.

Mine is set on the lower setting, 180mm front ride height with +8mm radius wheels (180mm-8mm = 172mm) which is in spec (shoudl be 170mm +/- 5mm at that setting)

Rears are top platform 184mm ride heignt with +2.5mm radius wheels (184-2.5 = 181.5mm) which is in spec to 180mm +/- 5mm.

The cars do look high, Lotus admit this but they are in spec - the old springs sagged to hell over time which is why Esprits mostly look lower than they should.

The geometry settings are the same as the specs in the factory settings - you car like mine is probably quite a way out of spec.

This is my Esprit correctly laden and at the correct ride height :

3809338656_4570c363cb.jpg

• Like 1

For christs sake, set the big circlips on the lowest settings, to save you from doing it twice.

Andy I know your set up is still under review but did you have to move the big circlip down too?

I am hoping to get the car roughly set and once MOTed I would hope to get it over the men in white coats and clipboards over at Hethal.

Buddsy

Buddsy, Yes and No. I had to move it down on the front, but keep it in the normal (upper) position on the rear to try and get the car level. Once the fronts have the right springs in I should be able to have both in the same setting and have the car approximately level.

You'll be able to use the manual gauges to get the set-up close, just let me know when.

• 3 years later...

Well they look great! Went on ok if I remember that long ago. Im not sure they do them for the pre 85 cars? Or was it for the pre S3 cars? If Lotus sell them for your car they are the ones you want. There has been much talk about other makes. The ones SJ sell I think are the ones that people seem to have issues with. Pro tech ones I think? There is plenty of posts on here about them. I think someone fitted Spax but again I dont know how they worked out?

Buddsy  :respect:

• 4 years later...

Hi Everyone — and sorry @Buddsy for upping the topic :D

I am a bit annoyed there is no leaflet in the kit, it would have been much simpler and straight forward.

First of all, as for the ride height, I am now also convinced that at least the front should be put on the lower groove as unless I am wrong the lower cup will be virtually at the same height than the previous stock one (model from 96). Strange Lotus states it's supposed to be the upper groove. Anyway!

As for the washers it's a bit complicated to me, honestly I first wondered what to do with the largest conical/curved washer until I realized it fits perfectly on the lowest part of the stem under the "blue cover". So that is OK (unless you tell me it's all wrong of course!)

Then there are the upper stem arrangement. Obviously the small twin washers go between the two larger ones to fit the upper cup hole, no problem. I guess the curvier side of the bushings are supposed to be put in contact with those twin washers rather than their flatter side?

Then, there are the two remaining washers: the thick flat one, and the curvy one. At first I didn't realize the curvy washer has a a counter bore hole (not sure it's called like that in English, in French it's called a ""trou lamé", ie a "hole in a hole"). As that counter bore is exactly the diameter of the tube, I gather the tube must go in it. That means the curvy part of that washer should face either the shock (like an umbrella for the blue cover, or that it should be put like a cup towards the nut. My guess is that it should be put at the bottom because I can really see no interest to put a curvy washer like that at the top, and maybe it's a bit of a deflection thing when put at the bottom, I don't know... Do you confirm the large thick washer should be put at the top ? : nut, large thick washer, twin small curvy washers, large curvy washer like an umbrella, then the blue cover, then the largest curvy washer like an umbrella again?

Do you confirm for the bushings too? (curvy side on towards the interior, matting with the small curvy washers?)

Last question: torque used to tighten the nut on the stem: it's not super clear to me when I read the workshop manual. It says the nut should be "nipped" and then secured with a second one. Obviously there is a single washer with the new lotac system as it's a nyloc one, but what about the torque anyway?!  What is it to nip the nut?! Does that mean it should be screwed gently until the largest flat washer makes contact with the tube and ...  nothing more?

Thanks in advance as I am a bit stuck, and it's a bit frustrating :blush:

washers.jpg

28 minutes ago, sailorbob said:

No idea what the counterbore is for.

Maybe it's just there to confuse us!? :D

28 minutes ago, sailorbob said:

There is not torque setting for the damper top nuts; the lower nut is 'nipped' w

Yes but I am unsure what it means to nip a nut? Hence my earlier question about that:

On 04/02/2018 at 05:04, Giniw said:

Last question: torque used to tighten the nut on the stem: it's not super clear to me when I read the workshop manual. It says the nut should be "nipped" and then secured with a second one. Obviously there is a single washer with the new lotac system as it's a nyloc one, but what about the torque anyway?!  What is it to nip the nut?! Does that mean it should be screwed gently until the largest flat washer makes contact with the tube and ...  nothing more?

Does that mean the nut should be screwed until the dished washer meet the spacer tube?