free hit
counters
FULL S1 RESORATION FINALLY BEGINS...... - Page 3 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

FULL S1 RESORATION FINALLY BEGINS......

Hi my advise is, its going to take time, money and pain and your only going to do it once, unless your a very sick person. So go with what you want, I like the orange but there was only going to be one colour white for me. The interior's black. yes hemlock like all the rest, I would like to have the original tartan. Maybe one when ive got a few spare grand lying around but until then its black leather.

A few pics to help you choose.

I'd be very happy with that interior & colour (but orange it must be). The tartan interior will cost the best part of

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm in Plymouth, Devon. Thanks for the offer Tony but your'e on the wrong side of the pond. I'll have some more pictures after the weekend but here's another to keep things going... My firs

That was a bargain then Carl, looks great too! Any more pictures??

& yes I'll probably kick myself for not following my dream of a white S1 but the more I look at tidy orange examples the more it grows on me. Maybe once it is finished I'll get the s3 in maroon/red with a ski rack :)

I would go for the interior you like and can afford. You can always change it later if you suddenly find a few thousand quid and want the tartan.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

• 2 months later...

The engine is now in place. Just a few more bits & bobs like coolant/ brake/ clutch lines before I can start concentrating on the body. It seemed that I was making no progress at all for a while, now things are flying back together.

I'll post some more pictures if anyone is interested.

Yes please! :whistle:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Also keen for some pics :)

thanx mate

and awesome Job, looks amazing

have completley stripped mine down and seeing if I can recreate the fibre glass parts Im missing to return it to an S1, also nearly finished painting the chassis, then just gotta clean and paint the suspention parts, but coming along nicely so far, will post some pictures when Ive got a restoration thread up for all those that wanna see

regards

Bevan

Looking good :lol:

As I'm a way behind you I'm interested to know what you used to paint the engine and gearbox?

And where did you get your rear brake discs from?

Cheers, Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Thanks chaps.

Paul, I've been watching your thread with envy too unworthy.gif

The box has just run of the mill heat resistant paint & heat resitant lacquer I had lying around then baked on with a halogen heater. I can't remember the make (I've ditched the aerosol cans) but I originaly used it on motorbike engine casings & it is very durable. The engine has not been painted just elbow grease. The discs are from SJ Sportscars, not cheap but the real deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good !

Im glad to see you have loads of + camber as I had, did you change your rear lower link bushes?

Keep the updates coming

Matt

1976 Esprit S1 123G, 1976 Esprit S1 166G, 1976 Esprit S1 170G, 1976 Esprit S1 228G, 1977 Esprit S1 564H, 1978 Esprit S1 326G, 1978 Esprit S1 329G, 1978 Esprit S1 336G, 1981 Esprit S2.2 0991, 1997 Elise S1

Was the engine a pig to fit in the end? Did we have the gear linkage pivot fitted in the correct orientation in the end?

Err no, it was a puzzle for an hour or so censored.gif

Looking good !

Im glad to see you have loads of + camber as I had, did you change your rear lower link bushes?

Every last bush has been replaced, did you correct your camber or does the body weight improve things?

Yes the body weight helps, time also helps so the weight on the new lower link bushes slowly pulls the centers outwards, and the correct tow in helps, only now after a year is my camber - 1/2 a degree.

When I 1st put the body on and all tow in set, my camber was 0 degrees

Matt

1976 Esprit S1 123G, 1976 Esprit S1 166G, 1976 Esprit S1 170G, 1976 Esprit S1 228G, 1977 Esprit S1 564H, 1978 Esprit S1 326G, 1978 Esprit S1 329G, 1978 Esprit S1 336G, 1981 Esprit S2.2 0991, 1997 Elise S1

Thanks for sharing that Matt.

I think I may still have to think about shimming the discs if the body doesn't help enough. Not much I can do for now until it's built up to full road weight.

There's about a full days work left in preparing the chassis for the body. I hope to start the shell next month if I can remotivate myself, just been so cold in the garage lately & I've lost the momentum with things.