free hit
counters
Back in F1 - Page 2 - Motorsport & Trackdays - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Advantage

Back in F1

Does Bruno have a Malaysian passport?

At present, six local and international drivers have been shortlisted for evaluation.

No But he is an international Driver :D

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Team Lotus was bought by David Hunt years ago and has had no connection to Lotus Cars since then so this new team is not part of the Lotus Group. And, without Colin Chapman at the helm, you can't expect it to be like the Team Lotus of old. Furthermore, they say they are planning to move the team to Sepang in Malaysia sometime.

That said, I think the announcement today is good news for out favorite Norfolk car manufacturer as it shows a commitment to Lotus by Proton and the Malaysian government. After all, if they were thinking of selling off or, worse, closing, the Lotus factory in the foreseeable future, they would not be shelling out on a team with the Lotus name. They could have used Team Petronas or Team Malaysia or some such instead if they thought that Lotus itself wouldn't be around.

So, overall, I am suprised by the announcement, even though I posted the stories about it on here a week ago, but happy with it. Good news, I think.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

As I said earlier, though, this is not the Team Lotus team that had ben rumoured earlier. That one was based around the Litespeed team. I don't believe David Hunt has anything to do with this team. This is a Malaylasian team backed by the Malaylasian government.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

wonderful news :beer: .with the support of a government(Proton is owned by Malaysian govrnemet)The future of GroupLotus and teamLotus is pink :D

Correct Dave. Kudos goes to MJK for pushing this through, shame he isn't at the helm to see the grid next year.

wonderful news :beer: .with the support of a government(Proton is owned by Malaysian govrnemet)The future of GroupLotus and teamLotus is pink :D

Hows that ? I dont get it, it's the same deal as before with different buyers.

It's as much Team Lotus as Paul C is Marilyn Monroe.

As said above - "This is a Malaylasian team backed by the Malaylasian government".

I hoped this would be the guys at Lotus doing the work and inovating, developing stuff for new cars, pulling the rug from under people's feet like Brawn have done this season but it's not.

It's some fellas hoping just to throw money at it like BMW whilst wearing a Lotus shirt, no different to the Aylesford Bulls rugby team throwing on different shirts and calling themselves Harlequins...

Sorry but as a HUGE fan of the old, watching this lot pull the laurels off their shoulders is hard to stomach.

facebook = [email protected]

Think its great news for the brand even if it does not have anything to do with the factory, Im not a massive fan of F1 these days but still watch it every now and again, I will be definatly watching the Lotus team race even if its the underdog. People say everything is in a brand name and its true! It will in no doudt in my eyes improve lotus sales as the brand will become well known in joe publics eye again.

Im really looking forward to the season :D

Regards danny

A

There seems to be some initial confusion, which is understandable, it think this is because this 'all new' team

with talk of "Mike Gascoyne and the former Racing Technology Norfolk (RTN) facility in Hingham" does sound

(to some daft and unobservant folk) a bit like the previous team thingy back in june which revolved around talk

of "Mike Gascoyne and the former Racing Technology Norfolk (RTN) facility in Hingham".

:D

Please read the statement below:

"The team will initially be based at the RTN facility in Norfolk, UK, some 10 miles from the Lotus Cars factory.

A 50,000 square foot fully equipped facility, RTN was built by Toyota for its initial Formula One programme and

then used by Bentley for its successful Le Mans programme.

The team

Well, they have to say it's going to Malaysia to ensure they get funding. Most Japanese folk (who are aware of F1) think the Toyota F1 effort was based in Japan. :D

OK. Look.

I dropped a hint a year ago saying that MJK had been spotted at the Constructors annual conference in London, in close conversation with, amongst others, one BE!

Jonathan is right. This IS NOT TEAM LOTUS. It's GROUP LOTUS. LOTUS CARS. LOTUS ENGINEERING.

Team Lotus was never part of the Car manufacturing company that MJK was in charge of. It was always owned by ACBC. It just rented the name off the car company. Infact you could actually say that this is the real first time Group Lotus have gone into F1!

Thanks Graham. Yes, you are seeing the legacy of MJK in much that is happening now.

The Money was raised by Proton via sponsorship from a very well known Petroleum company. Lotus's input will be in innovation, Engineering and yes, the name.

I for one am extremely excited, but even more pissed off at MJK for retiring prior to me getting my free tickets to all the GP's next season!! Dammit!!!

Come on Lotus! Do us proud.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

The good news however is: It will have a lotus badge and a Cosworth engine.

Sure??

A few weeks ago it was 'Team Lotus'. Now it will be 'Lotus F1'. I think its the same game just with a different owner and Name. It would be like a dream come true when the REAL Team Lotus returns back

to race against the old teams in formula one. I'm not sure this is TEAM LOTUS.

Just my 2 cents....

Edited by gospeedv8

I think I am right in saying every F1 team has a base in europe, surely they will have to keep a base in the UK. The F1 season still is a mainly european affair with 9 races staged within the continent.

I for one am extremely excited, but even more pissed off at MJK for retiring prior to me getting my free tickets to all the GP's next season!! Dammit!!!

Now we know why Mike retired. He didn't want to have to deal with spectacle of Kimbers staggering around the Paddock Club sozzled on free booze every 2 weeks. :evil:

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

This IS NOT TEAM LOTUS. It's GROUP LOTUS. LOTUS CARS. LOTUS ENGINEERING.

So hang on, you'll have to bear with me here....

This isn't another 'litespeed' bid this is actually the real deal Lotus we all know company (Group Lotus) putting efforts into F1 sponsored by Malaysians ?

So when we see a car it'll have Lotus DNA in it, Lotus ethics and so on and is connected with the cars we all love and drive ?

Yep I understand the difference between Group and Team Lotus (I was always under the impression the car business was there to fund the F1 stuff) - but when we see a car on the track it will be the Lotus type ### ?

If so you have my excitement back :evil:

Just want to be crystal clear.

facebook = [email protected]

Have alook see what badge ends up on the nosey me thinx.

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Third time lucky (I've said this twice before now in this thread!!)

THIS IS NOT THE LITESPEED TEAM LOTUS of previous rumours

Tony's post I think makes it crystal clear that this is the real deal and is the "real" Lotus

Location of R&D and development is irrelevant these days. Where do Lotus make the chassis's?? (clue it ain't Hethel - it ain't even Norfolk!)

Why does the Group Lotus website have a Lotus F1 category in it's press releases??

This new team is a Malaysian team backed by the Malaysian government.

Guess what nationality Lotus is (by ownership, not physical location) - it is 100% owned by a Malaysian company!

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

Great News I'm very very happy with this hope it uses the Lotus name with pride

Me too really!

:evil:

If Hyundai manage to secure the Jaguar name and Deewoo

get to use the Tyrrell name then they can stand alongside the

proposed new Skoda/Hesketh and give next years grid a real

taste of yesteryear.

Who care's where they are made anyway, and if cheering a lotus

means cheering another country then what the hell! It's all we've

got and no-one else was going to do it so good luck to those chaps!

BBC NEWS: Former greats come back to F1 for 2010

:yes:

That's just fantastic - can't wait until the 2010 season!

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

Just remember that the asssociation between the Lotus F1 team and Lotus cars is direct in the public eye.

I am certain that there will be more than just a name slung around -developement in road cars is directly linked to their F1 compatriots .Mercedes and McClaren would be the same sort of synergy.

If the team performs ,your cars value will go up,whether a 1980 or 2009

If the team cocks it up , well ...................

richard

Technically sound ...Theoretically poked !