free hit
counters
What colour wheels? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am about to get my wheels chrome powder coat with gold centres, but I think white does suit the white cars. There is a pic from back in the day of a James Bond white turbo in the centre of Norwich out side Habitat with a girl in a bikini I was looking to see whet wheels that car had.

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Buddsy

Have you seen chrome powder coat befor. IMO it is not a great finish and you may be dissapointed. I would reccomend polishing the rims and then having them clear powder coated for protection.

Thats the pic...silver!!! That is a nice set of wheels!! lol

I havent seen chrome powdercoat in the flesh yet. I was going to polish and paint but have been unable to get anyone to do it? I was then going to DIY but I just cant strip the buggers! I phoned areocoat and they said yes no problem but we wont polish we will chrome powdercoat. So I am giving in as I want to get them done, maybe I should do a little more research. The only thing I was thinking was there is that whole debate about polish and clear coat or polish and leave?

Buddsy

Polish and leave is hardwork i did my R6 bike frame and swingarm. Lookied great but a whole load of work to look after. Best bet is to clear coat with Powder coat. Also have you tried paint stripper tons of it and then high pressure washer? May work or just give them to s trippers. Could have the centres powder coated gold to but more cost etc

Ian,

I personally think your wheels look great in white, I liked the look of your car when first saw it,

p.s never mind painting the wheels get the thing on road and cosmetics will soon be the last thing on your mind with that v8 howl and much faster sppeds and a grin thats hard to hide! trust me.

Regards danny

A

Mine are split rims so were easier to polish the rims and paint the centres. Mine were done at BJV. A year on the paint still looks good but who knows how long it will last. Took a month though.

Trevor.

105_0379.jpg

105_0381.jpg

103_2038.jpg

I'll get around to it at some point.

Hiya,

me and dave re-did mine gold as they were naff and 2 were new so were silver. We used a volvo colour which is quite nice.

Cheers

Alan

Edited by th4neuk

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

Danny, yes know what you mean about the sound and can't wait to drive it again, it's been over a year now since i took it off the road.

While I'm waiting for my radaitor to get finished and my new fans to arrive i've started looking at other bits and pieces...which sort of asks the question just how far do you go!

Anyway it should pass the MOT, although the shockers are ok although they look terrible.

+2, looks great as is. Personally I think the gold-centre idea only looks good on pukka split rims, the BBS lattice centre is too small and intricate to carry it off, makes the wheel look small.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Hey I found this site there are some similar BBs done in Chrome powder coat and also some split rims. Is the down side that it looks a little bit?? wobbly or rippley?

http://www.the-polisher.com/id13.html

Buddsy :)

Ok so I searched Chrome BBS wheels on google images and found lots of wheels that had their rims polished rather than chrome powder coat. Most were from VW forums but these look fantastic. Today I went to Halfrauds and looked at the Chrome powdercoat :) So back to plan A! I want to do them myself. Only trouble is I am finding it hard to strip them? I have nevber had any thing blasted before do you think this would be the best way to get them stripped it would it be too coarse?

Buddsy

Hi Buddsy.i have polished two sets of bbs wheels on both of the esprits i have owned.Iused paint stripper on the rims then scraped off paint with a painters scrape triangular in shape .i know its hard work .Maybe some thing to do with the paints priemers used on alloy wheels.But once through the paints .progressive grads of wet and dry .Then use soap filled brillo pads .............Dont tell the wife............and keep going untill you can polish with solvite etc .But it can be done at very little out lay .Good luck Mike

Cheers for the advice mike, one wheel stripped ok with paint stripper but it just would touch the next! I will try the remaining two and see how I fair?

Buddsy

• 2 weeks later...

Although, your graphics are red, why not do the wheel centres red instead? I remember seeing a batch of G cars with colour coded wheels to their graphics, black, gold and red, they look quite good actually.

Will have to find a pic and show you.

Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere.