free hit
counters
Removing the body stripe "Purists beware"... - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Removing the body stripe "Purists beware"...

So i have seen a few cars with the body stripe ground down and presumably the gap reinforced. So is this a structural point in the shell assembly? Can it be done safely and anyone who has done it what is the best route. IMO it gives tha car a much better line and a more smoother look. Also brings the car slightly more up to date.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This can be done with quite a bit of work but personally I wouldn't do it on a pre 88 car. I know you want to bring it upto date but it will look odd with squared bumper and tailgate lip etc.

IMO this only suits a post 88 car, don't do it!

David Walters

I know what you are saying but looking at Pauls car i think it looks great. I plan on also updating wheels etc to similar design and look.

My main concern is structure. I am more than capable of doing it but how much strength will be taken from this. What would be the best advice to actually acrrying it out.

post-6622-1253018151_thumb.jpg

Well, the doors are simple, it's a square section attached to the shell. For the other areas my brother advised not to do it as it's the join of the sections thau not as strong as if it was fibreglass all laid up as one item, thus more likely to move / crack. That said, I agree it does look nice.

I'd think that re-inforcing the inside of the shell would be sufficient to stop this happening, along with the fact it's the chassis that provides most of the rigidity, not the body.

Hi Wayne,

Lot of work mate, the easiest way of explaining it is the lotus esprit shell was made like a toasty! two parts pushed togher and bonded, the lip that the black waistband covered is where it is bonded, to remove this you will have to glass re inforce along the entire inside of the body apart from the doors.

It just seems like a lot of effort, I quite like the black band and thinks it breaks up the bulk of the car well, I myself cannot comment on modding esprits as mine has been altered in many ways but this just seems like hassle and my fiberglass skills are non existent!

regards danny

A

I guess i may keep this one to the drawing board for the min and see as time goes on with the bodywork. I could just sand it alot flatter and colour code it but think it would be better completely gone. Just dont want to make the shell weaker