free hit
counters
Windows - If it's broken, fix it or don't use it, but don't do this... - Page 2 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Windows - If it's broken, fix it or don't use it, but don't do this...

Well I can't seem to find any reason why my windows don't work as they should. Every test I have done on the wiring comes up as ok. The only conclusion I can come to is there is something wrong with the logic modules in both windows. I have found a Vauxhall parts company that sell the same part number in the UK but they do not ship to Australia.

So... is there anyone here on the forum that lives in the UK that would be willing to send possibly both complete RH and LH regulators to me if I buy them and get them sent to you first? Of course, I will send the money required first to get them shipped to me. Does anyone have any idea as to what shipping costs are to Australia?

Thanks,

Michael.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Well ,I thought would post a quick update on the door repair. After reading (and rereading) Paul Colemans thread on fixing Mark Jones rear valance, I waded into my job. The first attempt I made was to lay up two pieces of cloth and resin them on a template I had made out of the aluminium that had been bolted to the door. After that had set, the plan was then to resin it as one piece to the back of the holes to give me something to work to.

An absolute unmitigated disaster. :( Would not adhere to save my life.

So I scrapped that idea.

The next attempt was to resin a piece of cloth up and carefully get it through the large access hole and position it over both of the holes. It was simple. Laid up another piece and that was the backing finished.

Tonight, I had two jobs on the go. I am stretching the rear plinth recess to fit our Australian rego plates and I laid up the glass in the holes to the same thickness as the original door material. Next thing is to sand the door repair back in preparation for two layers of glass over the entire ground back area. Then redrill and refit the new window regulators once I get that sorted.

I must say I am quite happy with the result so far on the door. The rear plinth looks a bit ordinary, but it's a work in progress. (deep breath expecting the ribbing) Once it's finished and refitted, it'll look fine.

door repair so far

100_2885.jpg

the rear plinth after lengthening and with glass laid on the back

100_2886.jpg

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Progress update

Finished sanding today and threw some primer/filler that I had in the garage on the job and drilled the holes that I had worked out before grinding the door prior to repairing and checking the measurements from the regulator

100_2887.jpg

With the regulator refitted in the door. Had to refit the originals as I have run into an issue with getting two new ones from the UK. Have found a company though that are going to try and source the logic modules for me as that is what has failed. Here's hoping. Anyway, I'm really happy with the result all told. And before anyone says 'But the paint's a different colour' go back to the original pics and compare this to that. Chalk and cheese. :question:

100_2888.jpg

Quick update to show the rear plinth now with the ends reattached and the plate sitting in there. Getting the hang of this fibreglass thing. Not as ambitious a cut-up as Jonathon's front bumper, but we've all got to start somewhere.construction.gif

Little bit more to lay up on the bottom profile, filler and sanding to finish and then take it into the panel beater/spray painters that we use in town to paint it up for me. I have the colour code for the red on the car, though I don't know it's name, but I am wondering if anyone knows the code for the matt black on the ends of the plinth? If not I'll just tell them to match it and go from there.

100_2890.jpg

• 2 months later...

Sorry for reviving an old topic, but there are some good pictures on here for my New Years Eve project.

What I'm wondering is whether any of you good people know if there's an easy way to remove the lock assemblies and the window frames without being destructive?

It appears that Lotus build half of the doors and then bond the other half to it before painting. The access doesn't appear to allow me to get to the bits I need to and indeed remove them.

Do I need to get a little bit destructive?

You'll need to unbolt the motor and remove the scissors from the window first. Then the frame with window can be removed upwards.

while everythings out check the bolt for the spring doorstay. It's a single shear design and could do with an extra support bracket welded on to make it double shear. Those bolts tend to bend and become a problem keeping the door open.

DanR