free hit
counters
Carb Balancing - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Carb Balancing

Simon350S

Hi All

Never done any carb balancing before and as I'm about to start a rebuild of mine I thought it best to seak some advice.

Any recomendations on carb balancers, where is the best place to pick one up from locally?

Are there any initial setups I should observe, guess there may be a little information in the manual so I'll have a look whilst I go along.

Anything you think I should look out for?

Chunky Lover

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only done Delortos once (this car) First make sure no air leaks, spindles have no play and seals all in good shape. I have a sonic leak detector to check for air leaks. You can get close with the butterfly settings just by eye before fitting them. Then the screw and and spring link between the 2 get it so both lift off the stops simultaneously.

I think that's about all I did, it's not so critical with a turbo. Many years ago had a device that clamped to the venturi and sucked a bead up a calibrated pipe type of thing, and you got it to same mark on both, but I reckon I can get pretty close by eye and ear.

Roger

There's probably some good books or web sites, maybe even specific.

Edited by Roger the Dodger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Simon

A Morgan Carbtune monitors all 4 venturi at the same time so is pretty useful.

1. Make sure all is in good condition and you have the correct jets & set float height to spec.

2. Adjust 1 bleed screw on each carb to account for manufacturing differences (There is no way you can set the individual venturi bleed screws without a balancing tool).

3. Adjust balance between from & rear carb

4. Adjust mixture (I simply do this by eyeballing the sparkplugs to make sure they are identical & a good colour - Also checking for no 'spitting back' and other general indicators of mixture) In my experience, the 'book' CO2 mixtures are not achievable.

Its all detailed in the manual, or generally on the Web. In my view its critical to do it properly for a good tickover & pickup.

cheers Steve

balancing carbs can be beneficial, ensure everything ignition wise is sorted first. I made my carb balancer, cost nothing and its basicly a long tube on a plank of wood with a u bend in it and a bit of oil on the bottom. I was going to youtube the procedure if anyone is interested

Do yourself a favour....buy a Morgan Carbtune. Individual tubes, one for each choke....it all becomes much simpler. For a rough and ready method, short out each plug in turn and check/adjust for equal rev drop for all cylinders.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein