free hit
counters
MSD Ignition System - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
thom_77

MSD Ignition System

The talk about ignitions in another thread had me thinking about overall upgrades, and as luck would have it I came upon this article in Classic Motorsports magazine which addresses the issue:

http://classicmotorsports.net/articles/zap-it/

They discuss the installation of an upgraded distributor and multi-spark discharge (MSD) box, which they seem very enthusiastic about, if not so much as a means to increase horsepower, but definitely as a way to make the car smoother and more drivable. Their installation was done on an MGB with a Lucas system as OE.

Has anyone gone this route? Any recommendations for/against?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Ajay,

Have thought about going the crank trigger route. Any suggestions from your experience can you share?

Best,

Jeff

www.espritturbo.com

I have also done the MegaJolt conversion. I'm very happy with the result. You can optimise the ingition map, and as it contains a map sensor it will take care of ignition retard if you are thinking about upping the boost.

I bought everything I needed at www.triggereheels.com.

Just had to match up the triggerwheel and pulley in a lathe.

Thanks for that info. What about the mapping? Did you come up with something on your own or did you duplicate the stock settings?

Best,

Jeff

www.espritturbo.com

I downloaded a basemap that Andy has made. Follow the link on Andys post to find it.

Great map to start from.

I have tweaked this map some to suit my boost setting at 0,9 bar. I haven't been on a rolling road so the map is a bit on the safe side to prevent knocking.

Edited by PER

Per's solution to the trigger wheel looks better than mine, i have added an extra flange to the front of the pulley which has added extra wieght, Per's removes wieght off the pulley wheel and probably works better, less mass and all that.

i thought the clearance at the rear was too close to the automatic tensioner so opted for my solution. looking again i see that Per is a dry sump so has a toothed belt drive for the scavange pump that moves the trigger wheel out further thus clearing the tensioner.

My map can be found here:

http://www.autosportlabs.org/viewtopic.php?t=2332

you will have to down load the MJLT configuration software ver 3.2.1 to read it:

http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V2_Downloads