free hit
counters
Day out in Belgium - (Broken Esprit content!) - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Day out in Belgium - (Broken Esprit content!)

Bibs

Laura and I popped over to Belgium yesterday to visit our friends and hang out with a superb Lotus F1 car collection. On the way over, an intermittent noise from the rear of the car came back with a vengeance and despite having just pulled over for a closer inspect and nothing was found, our tentative and slow progress at this point was interrupted by being overtaken by a wheel. Not ideal! Fortunately, despite being on a motorway the car came to a safe stop and the wheel was corralled and stopped 10m in front of us on the hard shoulder. Transporting a 3 wheeled Esprit isn't easy, we wrapped up at 3am today.

Props to Adrian Flux European Assist. Despite a very long journey home they were excellent in organising an international rescue. Bigger thanks to my friends Walter and Philippe for coming to pick us up from the motorway and entertaining us through the afternoon with a great BBQ, some lovely Belgium beers and super company and huge thanks to Philippe and his wife for driving us to Calais, from Belgium. Not a short journey and thanks again, you're a star Philippe! :lol:

IMG_6293.jpg

IMG_6294.jpg

IMG_6296.jpg

IMG_6298.jpg

IMG_6299.jpg

IMG_6302.jpg

IMG_6304.jpg

IMG_6310.jpg

IMG_6311.jpg

IMG_6314.jpg

IMG_6315.jpg

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Ohhhh crap! That looks bad! Wheel hub failure?

Sorry to miss it, Got the invite from Walter but Wendy works every weekend at present.

Glad to see you back. You must be knackered! Good job Walt and Phillipe. Very reminiscent of last years factory visit where I sat on the side of the A11 with them for 2 hours after Walts engine failure!!

So wheres the car now mate?

[Edit] Just looked at the pics again. Is that a Split in the bodywork above the rear wheel arch? Owch!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Bad luck dude,

had this experiencxe myself and its pretty surreal!!! (lovin the frank Spencers reference, in my case it was more Del and Rodney, "capri ghia rodney!! capri ghia!!"

Glad your both okay and hope the motor gets sorted well and pronto.

Sue, you're welcome to make light, I'm very philosphical about these things and was due to upgrade the hubs, bearings, brakes and suspension anyway, it's no big deal :lol:

Car's back in my garage, hence taking 'til 3am to sort it out. UK recovery companies are often more concerned about silly rules than getting a job done however doing anything with a mid engined car with a rear wheel missing isn't going to be easy.

Here's a more intimate picture of some of the damage. Despite the brake caliper shearing off and leaking brake fluid at quite a rate I'm pleased that the brakes did work but trying to slow down the car safely while on 3 wheels on a very busy motorway was quiet hard work! I'm pleased that there wasn't a much more sober feel to this post with much more damage or injuries.

IMG_6289-1.jpg

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Oh god, what a nightmare.

Lucky that you were travelling slowly Bibs.

Hope that the car gets repaired rapidly.

I had wanted to attend, but couldn

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

So....is that a split in the bodywork dude?

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

There's a car on a ramp with a hole in it you should be filling Mike! I'm going to get on Walters case until he sorts it out too, it's been off the road for far too long!

Kimbers, the body is damaged in a couple of places. Even though 50mph doesn't feel that fast on a motorway, it's still pretty quick when you lose a wheel.

Another project which will be ace when it's done, those panels are from the real Le Mans car!...

IMG_6309.jpg

Evora NA

Hey Philippe,

Nice to see your first post!! :lol:

Well done on looking after Bibs and Laura!

The outer driveshaft has sheared, most probably due to a seized bearing. Going to start stripping it today.

Evora NA

• Gold FFM

Ooooh - so tempting. Just need to take a few hours out of my holiday preparations.

However, hell hath no fury like a wife with a pair of nutcrackers...

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

sorry to hear Bibs ! Luckily you weren't speeding that moment, but I can imagine even 50 MPH is quite some speed to loose a wheel :s

Hope you'll get it fixed, seems to be hub failure ?

Luckily you got home safely :lol:

BTW : I missed Gert's call (GSM was put on silent by mistake and not in reach), I should have been there ...

Edited by bzguy

- Nulla tenaci invia est via -

Philippe. You don't look a day over 30!!

(you can pay me later).

So Odile is allowing you a new Esprit? As long as she can drive it I bet!!

The outer driveshaft has sheared, most probably due to a seized bearing. Going to start stripping it today.

I would sue the Belgian State for these bad highways causing car breakdown ! They're really CRAP !

- Nulla tenaci invia est via -