free hit
counters
Dunlop SP9000 - Discontinued? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

I need a couple of rears and went to Blackcircles, as usual. Not in stock. No Goodyear Eagles either, my other preference. I mailed them but no joy - they don't know if/when they will have any. Scouting around online I can find no-one with the Dunlops and one site said they had been discontinued.

Can anyone out there enlighten me? Has it been replaced by the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx? I thought about the Toyo Proxes but couldn't find any the right size. This could be a problem.......

Edited by hedgerley

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you can get *9090profile* on the 285/35R18 rear end:

http://www.reifensuchmaschine.de/dunlop-re...lop-sp-9000.htm

..other strange thing is an rumor out of a German Elise-board: in future (depends on tire size) the European-Commission does not allow the use of 'loud' tires !? Bad thing is, there is no information if an car can still use its old tires fitted-or has to stop of use directly on the date change in the new law.... .

Edited by G

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Just put some Sumitomo HTR III on the rears as I could not find the Dunlops anymore, they are quieter on all road surfaces and still stick like glue plus they are a lot better in the wet than the Dunlops.

Did have road force alignment done on them that showed the TPS system added 1.5 ounces of weight at the valve and 27 pounds of outward weight when under speed but with a few weights it runs like a dream. Still have the Dunlops on the front though as they have not worn as quickly.

Heaven is where the police are British, the chefs Italian, the mechanics German, the lovers French and it is all organized by the Swiss. Hell is where the police are German, the chefs British, the mechanics French, the lovers Swiss and it is all organized by the Italians.

You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot

You think professional is expensive, just wait until you pay for amateur.

Dunlop SP9000 were obsolete a few years ago. I have them on my V8 and was searching everywhere. They have been replaced by SP9090 which are different. I found some SP9000 at SW Lotus which were brand new but obviously out of date. I think they were only

It's becoming tricky to get the V8 sizes if you want them to match front and rear. As a result of endless trend of larger rims and lower profile tyres, when the manufacturers release their new range they drop these old sizes.

But if you change to the S350 sizes (235/40/R17 and 295/35/R18) you can get Bridgestone Potenza RE050A or Michelin PS2 but will pay a lot for a set of four -

Edited by neal

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

have a set of Falken-rears as spare for drift-events. Have also used them on the road for a wile. No problems so far... . The point with 'unavailable size' is right, especially if you try to get an set of snow-tires in 235/285... . it was impossible on the last years.

It's becoming tricky to get the V8 sizes if you want them to match front and rear. As a result of endless trend of larger rims and lower profile tyres, when the manufacturers release their new range they drop these old sizes.

Plus the existing stock of their previous range runs out, e.g. Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 fronts, Toyo Proxes T1-R rears.

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

Excellent tyres Mark, you'll like them :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• 1 month later...

The saga continues. After ordering the Toyos they rang me up to say the size wasn't in stock and they didn't know when they would be getting them in, but to call them back in a month or so. Just done that, no joy, nor anywhere else either.

So, I've just found the Goodyear Eagle F1s at Mytyres - they accepted the order so fingers crossed they will be here in a couple of days. Good price to,

...... I found some SP9000 at SW Lotus which were brand new but obviously out of date.

David Walters

You say above "brand new but obviously out of date".

My car is just over 6 years old and on the original tyres which have plenty tread left.

When do tyres go out of date?

I presume you mean that the rubber can degrade and you are not just referring to them as fashion items going out of date?

When I took mine to a tyre place to have the tyres taken off and put on new rims, the guy told me that my tyres only had a couple of years left. This was on age not available tread. He said that tyres have a limited lifespan and on cars like ours it is more likely that they age rather than run out of tread.

Apparently the rubber degrades over time.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

Personally, I'd not drive a supercar on a tyre more than 5 years old. I just changed my fronts (Goodyear Eagle GS-D3 F1) with 5mm of tread on them as they are too old and started to feel hard on the road, inducing some understeer and they were coming up to 5 years old.

New tyres feel great and next time I'm on the autobahn and 150mph+ I'll know there's one less thing to worry about.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

If the service guide had suggested to xray driveshafts, I would have done!

Evora NA

The real question is at what age should the tyres be changed?

from the ROSPA(Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents) website:

Tyre Aging

Rubber compounds used in tyres contain anti-oxidising chemicals that help to slow down the natural aging process of untreated rubber. However, tyres do deteriorate with age, which increases the risk of tyre failure, and there are many ways in which this can be spotted:

Cracking/crazing on the side wall of the tyre, caused by its flexing

Distortion of tyre tread

Deformation of the carcass of the tyre

There will also be a deterioration of the ride quality caused by vibrations through the tyre. This may signify the tyre

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

Hi Folks,

I run SP 9000's on the front of my S1. 215 / 50 - 15" on 8" x 15" Jongblod mudular wheels. Was informed by my dealer here in the US (Tire Rack) Dunlop has discontinued both the SP 9000's and the SP 8000's. My rear tires are 245 / 50 - 15's on 9" x 15" Jongblod wheels. Really sad. This combination was awesome. So much grip, I feared breaking Colin's suspension bits before losing control! Any one know of any available tires in the 245 / 50 - 15 size in Europe?

Lyn

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=100&cart_id=88746034.100.10455&s_p=Reifen

?

..chose the options, maybe you can find an slightly different type that fits !?

• 1 year later...

So what are the thoughts now on currently available tyres.

I am having great difficulty finding a matching set from any manufacturer that I would consider putting on my car.

Any idea what Lotus recommends for the Esprit now that Dunlop Sport 9000 and Michelin Pilot SX MXX3 are no longer available.