free hit
counters
#173G Not starting, I can't hear the fuel pump ticking - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

#173G Not starting, I can't hear the fuel pump ticking

Hi,

I left my car alone for a while being abroad and now that I'm back it won't start. :D

I can't hear the fuel pump ticking for a few seconds when I turn the ignition key before turnover. So I assume this is the problem?

What is going on exactly?

(I did put the put the battery on charge yesterday, just in case, and put it back in today.)

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks.

Hey whats wrong with this wreck? We`re getting gas back here.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it sounds to me like the fuel pump,,there is a flowlock valve before it also,,but if there,s no ticking,it,s the fuel pump,,give it a rap with a hammer ,if it comes on replace it ,it will crap out again,,,

Hi,

you guys are awesome thanks for the fast replies, the hammer thing did work!

On a side note my fuel pump is located on the RH side under the battery so I had to remove the wood pannel to gain access and I discovered that what I assume to be an 'overflow' yellow pipe is broken in two halves.

ATB.

Those SU pumps have been failing since before the war. I have one in my 48 MG TC and I carry a hammer in my tool box. One would think that Lotus would have known of this problem and steered clear. But they also used Lucas switches so they were suckers for punishment.

just wondering if your broken pipe is an overflow from the filler neck or the air balance pipes between the tanks. Well known problem these breaking up into many parts.

If the overflow pipe is perished then it's more than likely the breather pipes are gone as well. To check the condition of them you will have to remove the carpet trim from around the rear window in the engine bay. There are two pipes, one is a vent pipe and the other is an equalizer pipe between the two tanks. I pulled my carpet back about 8 inches and already found one pipe split in two and really crusty hard.

Gavin

Ok guys thanks I'll check on that as soon as I get a chance to, will try to take pics...

Is the rear window carpet meant to be taken on and off or will it have to be reglued or whatever?

Thanks.