free hit
counters
BHP of cars...S4 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Rearwheelaction

BHP of cars...S4

What bhp should my car be producing. Ive been speaking to people about this and don't know exactly what it should be producing.

Sports exhaust with decat

Reconditioned turbo

K and N air filter

BOV

Chip 6

Engine was fully rebuilt

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

When was the engine rebuilt?

Could still be tight.

Standard the S4 should produce 264bhp.

Your extras should increase that.

Have you put on a dyno?

Put mine on dyno. It was completely stock save for decat and managed to squeeze 293 bhp out of it.

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

Lotus are very precise and accurate with their BHP figures, sometimes conservative.

Depends on the day with turbos - humidity air pressure, and temperature can affect forced induction cars a lot.

But, on a std day I'd like to see 285-295 from that car (BOV wont increase HP btw)

Thats peak power as well, when the chargecooler warms up factor that will go down by 10-15hp.

facebook = [email protected]

I'd have said well over 300+ easily. Air temp and CC temp makes a big difference as John says. I was at Peco Rolling Road with BackMarker when we did our runs and with my duff waste gate, sports exhaust and K&N, I still made 274 bhp IIRC.

No 5 chip is supposedly rated to produce 330bho. So running with your setup and on a cool day I'd be looking for somewhere above 330bhp. How long you'd be able to sustain that for is another matter as if you've still got a recon stock turbo it will probably be maxing out and generate some very high intake temp's.

I'd have said well over 300+ easily. Air temp and CC temp makes a big difference as John says. I was at Peco Rolling Road with BackMarker when we did our runs and with my duff waste gate, sports exhaust and K&N, I still made 274 bhp IIRC.

No 5 chip is supposedly rated to produce 330bho. So running with your setup and on a cool day I'd be looking for somewhere above 330bhp. How long you'd be able to sustain that for is another matter as if you've still got a recon stock turbo it will probably be maxing out and generate some very high intake temp's.

Stock turbo will still be the limitations.I have know the max messured numbers on a dyno is 305bhp with a stock turbo for some few second,when the exhaust and IC is hot max is 270-280bhp..And when you see on the turbospec it is suposed to run out of breath at this hp level. There is no way you can get 330bhp with the stock 4 pot turbo...Only way to get that is with a 300 Sport that have a turbo with 350bhp capasity..

Edited by rydning

89 Lotus Esprit Turbo S

Very fast road and trackday car.

GT3076R+ a lot of other modifications.

http://lotusespritwo...inZzdningz.html

Only true way is to chip change back to stock - dyno the car, and then put the chip back in and see the difference.

I was always very sceptical of chips pushing out 310-330 hp without any mechanical modification or turbo work, mainly becuase it wasn't backed up with any dyno information and as you say it's way out of the efficiency range of a stock turbo.

It's a shame no real useful data for them exist and there's usually a reason for that...

There's a lot of fudging going on with dyno readings. Especially when shops are building their reputations on claims of how much more power they can sell you compared to their competition.

What's needed is some sort of standard that can be established on the test day. Such as running a standard car in good condition without tweaking (easily done by the operator) the dyno settings, and then the test car. That way there'd be some comparison between the standard car's OEM power and the test car's original and modified ratings.

DanR

Thats what we did - our stock V8 pushed out 350bhp exactly what the manufacturer specified, Alan Tong's S4s was 285/286 as well so the rollers were spot on :

Noble Mans Noble M12 GTO 3R

No-one was really over (sadly none of the mods were listed, mine for example had a filter/exhaust job which gained ~12hp which is not unreasonable by any means), but there were a lot of excuses coming out (esp from the Noble and the 355).

As long as you get an approved datum and a good - honest tester, there's no probs with dynos vs their ease of use.

Just coming back to this topic. If ive got chip #6 and the car was rolling roaded 282 bhp do you think there is a problem? If not, the difference between a standard 264 bhp and mine at 282 bhp is it not abit crazy. What are the other 5 chips like if that is the case?

I think you could have a problem with the dyno operator. He's too honest and doesn't exaggerate his readings. Is his the only dyno in the area?

Also can't compare readings from the wheels and flywheel which is the OEM power. 282whp versus 264fwhp looks good.

DanR

264hp stock at the flywheel would probably show up as 225-230hp at the wheels, so...

Visit Sanj's Lotus Esprit Turbo SE pages

I had my s4s Dynoed and got 230 at the wheels. I will get it redone after I install the #6 chip and ball bearing turbo from puk. I also ordered rc injectors. I'll post what happens in a couple weeks.

Hmmm.. makes me wonder what my 1994 S4 puts out

K&N Filter

Chipped

Green dot

Alunox header

No Cat

Well....im sure a few have read my thread in the esprit chat section on dyno results and realistic expectations. ..its all there really. If youve got a chip in and believe the hype poor you..theyre not the way and rubbish. Without turning into a dyno-argument theres more to tuning than bolting on mods and expecting good results.

I'ma look that thread up once I get the time Darren - you've got me curious. I know that ECU mapping isn't the be-all and end-all of tuning but I have a hard time dismissing that aspect of tuning as "rubbish"? If you're after HP at any cost, you can get a lot done quite quickly by mapping and tweaking ECU parameters if you know what you're doing and grasp some basic principles of internal combustion engines. The fact that the hardware can't cope or that the longevity of parts will be detrimentally affected by the end result is however another matter....

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '91 Elan SE | '97 XK8

In the instance of the Esprit I believe the "chips" sold by puk are not the way forward. But then again Im not after big bhp figures..just further refinement and improvements.

Ecu mapping is not available on our ecus. If you fit a stand alone unit capable of being tuned on all parameters to suit an engine then that is proper ecu tuning. So ecu tuning isnt rubbish but puk chips to just provide extra fuel and boost as a cheap fix to better power is. There are other factors to add which make tuning an engine a lot more involved. Daves esprit is classic example of the never ending circle of changes.

Mentioned above is expectations on some 350 bhp from adding a chip ...whether thats the laughable claim puk put out to sell them I dont know..but seriously you have to do a hell of a lot more than add a chip to improve an esprit

I'm not sure what the perameters were. I was surprised as to how low the numbers were. After reading the post on Dynoes I felt a little better. My car has a quite a few mods. Advanced cam, high flow cat, k&n filter, blow off valve, and soon to have ball bearing turbo. This was power at the wheels. Bhp is at the crank, big difference. I will dyno at a different shop next time out of curiosity.

compression, leak down, valve clearance and fuel pressure would be prereq for dyno testing.  at 70k miles, my motor was poop and I was really surprised.  these 2.2s are in a high state of tune from the factory and apparently don't stay at peak output for long.  I would be surprised if mine made even 230 hp in the condition it was in.  still idled, cruised and romped smooth, just ran out of steam when pushed hard.  if you haven't assessed your engine's health, don't blame chips and mods for low hp, they cant cure a worn motor.

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND

And another good point of why cars should be put on the dyno..not just to see the results of mods but to show weaknesses and problems that you may not be aware of. Again these became apparent when I started using the dyno and it helped identify and enable me to improve vastly and in the best manner

So True, As you all know i do all my engine developments with the aid of dyno so that the Data can

be compared... But more important you can get to see any physical deficiencies under power which

would otherwise be missed... These can be simple things like in Darrens case hose clips on the

plenum nose which were not sealing fully... You also get the opportunity to fit and remove certain

parts to make comparisons on performance and smoothness... When used properly, not just as a

power developer, the dyno is a great tool...

I think it is also important to note that Bolt on parts, when not calibrated to each other and to the base model, will in most cases actually reduce performance..  The same goes for any chip..  I think Darrens S4 is the best example of a tuned Esprit with bolt on parts.. He carefully selected the correct parts& mods fitted and balance them using the dyno.. the outcome a 300+ bhp set up and rising..without a PUK chip.

Getting 350+ bhp involves quite a bit more as you really need to work the VE and then other parameters come into play.. 

these 2.2s are in a high state of tune from the factory and apparently don't stay at peak output for long.  I would be surprised if mine made even 230 hp in the condition it was in.  still idled, cruised and romped smooth, just ran out of steam when pushed hard.  if you haven't assessed your engine's health, don't blame chips and mods for low hp, they cant cure a worn motor.

I tend to disagree with this statement, the tuning was a balanced outcome for the market and

the power does not drop off quick.. we have 100,000 mile old Esprits nearly matching factory

spec on dyno's in the uk...If the power is down then there is something wrong and not with the

design.. a starting point will be your fuel quality we all run 97--99 RON in UK.

Tuning capabilities on these engines is vast, but it can be expensive and time cosuming to get correct..

Dave

• Like 1

I have a car with about 130,000 miles on it, albeit with a bottom end rebuild at 90k. It makes excellent power and only drops off if an ancillary fails. The 910 is a solid engine and very robust, just keep an eye on the stuff bolted to it!

:-)

My motor was rebuilt 3k ago. All seals poly and ceramic coated pistons. I'm taking it to the one esprit pro in Houston to have it all checked. Would you advise against installing the chip? I'm open to a better option. I just want it to run as well and fast as it can. I know I need a bigger chargecooler, but ordering from overseas has been a pain. I've spent a lot and still have nothing here. It's been over a month of waiting.