free hit
counters
1990 SE Front Upper Bumper Section - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

1990 SE Front Upper Bumper Section

I have my front bumper assembly strung out in my living room geeking out on how to put it together. I had a few questions, and here number #1 (more to come).

SO....The upper bumper section has 5 tiny drill holes in it at the very top (red circles) that are drilling locations for what appears to be the stud mounting plate, and the backing plate (both pictured) that hold the upper front portion onto the fiberglass unibody (the unibody has 5 drilled holes that line right up with them).

The main stud plate (pictured) has 2 tiny holes drilled in it (yellow circles) for what I think are for placing pop rivets to affix the plate to the bumper

So, my question (okay, more like 2 questions) are

1. Does the stud mounting plate rivet to the front bumper (by the two tiny holes circled in yellow)?

2. Do the studs face upward from the underside of the bumper to mount it to the car?

Did my picture post? I cant see it..

Chris

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've actually just taken mine off (88 turbo) so if you can post pictures, but here's a rough description of what I have, each side a plate riveted to the underside of the top edge, with 2 studs each protruding through, each corner a reinforced hole for a stud protruding down, (if it still exists) or a nut fed upwards. Then a plate across the front providing 4 captive studs, from the underside, (air intake) looks like it could or should be riveted but mine isn't probably will be on reassembly. studs pass up into front luggage space (joke) in front of spare wheel.

Hope that helps, post some pics and maybe I can do the same.

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

LOL I only done this a few weeks ago and forgot already - but the studs go inside the bumper facing up into the car.

The load spreading plate goes inside the car, no need for it really if you use washers and no need to rivit the stud plate on - just use evo-stik or a beefy glue to hold it in place, once a nut is on its not going anywhere.

facebook = [email protected]

Okay, that makes sense (Step 1 solved)

So, a supplemental question:

I would assume that these two smaller stud plates (see new picture) are held on in the same fashion & face upward as well... Looking at teh car body, that appears to be the logical mounting application.

BUT.... In the other photo (the 4 smaller plates with the nuts welded on), appear to be the backing plates that go in the cargo hold to be used as a "washer" per say... However, there is no way in the world that you can spin the entire plate with the nut welded on to tighten it down (there is just no clearance to do it).

I looked at the factory manual, and according to the standard turbo one piece bumper, the nuts are NOT welded to the plate. Instead they are seperate so you can lay the backing plate down, and free spin the nuts on the studs & tighten up the assembly???... Is this correct?

I dont know what SJ sent me these plates for an SE bumper unless it was a mistake. The only solution I see is to cut the nuts off the plates, and use the plates by themselves with independent nuts to tighten down?

Can anyone with an SE verify?

Chris

The welded nutplates are for the 2 corner bolts.

Right where the bumper turns 90 degrees to travel along the car in the corner are bolt holes - the liklihood is the originals are stoll there and OK.

Fixings are 2x2 on the sides.

7 along the front....1 centre, 2x2 flanking the centre upto the light pods, 1 in each of the corners.

Hope that makes sense - in short terms if the originals are still ok you dont need these me thinks.

facebook = [email protected]

Dont forget there is the top side to the bumper AND the top side of the air intake, which is 4 bolts. On my 88 its one plate with 4 bolts but maybe that's the 4 individual ones you have there.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)