free hit
counters
what oil to use - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Just done an oil change, using 15/40 basically because thats what the manual recomends, but I noticed on another thread the other day that wayne b suggests using 20/50, just wondering what every one else is using??????????????

lady esprit drivers do it fast and furious

fahr03.gif 1st lieutenant to the Fearless red squadron

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amsoil 20/50 racing oil, full synthetic. Since I started using it the car is running consistntly at lower temp and smoother.

I change the oil every 5000 miles and it is coming out relatively clean.

For reference, my car has 85K+ miles on it.

Al B.

89 Esprit Turbo

Thanks for that info, already been out and bought some motormania 20/50, couldn,t find anything else, where do you guys get your oil from, halfords dont do any 20/50 at all, and autoquip only did the motormania,

lady esprit drivers do it fast and furious

fahr03.gif 1st lieutenant to the Fearless red squadron

Mobile1 15/50

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

just bought some myself

slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7

Don't put rubbish oil in the car, it really isn't worth it.

I use Mobile 1 15/50 fully synthetic racing oil. Halfords do sell it, but be careful to get the motorsport stuff - I think they do a similar oil for diesel engines too...

There's a list of recommended oils on LEW.

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/ETechnical/oil.html

Ian

Edited by x6gas

Ian

Good day guys,

My personal experience, using 10/40 is too thin & will cause overheating for prolong period of driving. I drove from Singapore to Malaysia capital KL on an average of 200km/h for 370 km, guess what, i had to constantly reduce my speed to allow it to cool before picking up speed again. Had the car checked before i embarked on the journey and it was certified good to go. Few months later, this time i changed to Castrol RS 10/60. boy i can speed up to a constant of 240-250km/h.

Regards

nick

I've used the Castrol 10/60 - which was a bad mistake. Caused the oil pressure to go to zero when hot on a long run. Refilled with Mobil 15/50 problem resolved. :blink:

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

Simon,

Your statement sounds weird cos thicker oil is supposed to be better for turbo engine on prolong runs. Low oil pressure is due to oil getting hot & thinning in the process, thus recording low pressure. Both mobil & Castrol are syn oil, thus should preform all the more the same. Furthermore castrol is one of the recommended oil for oem. Thanks for any advice

Regards

Nick

Nick,

Problems started earlier in the year - Jan thru to August. I was very gradually losing oil pressure on hot days. After much investigation, I noticed a few other people came across the same problem when using a 10/X oil.

It didn't click until I saw on the oil container (that I was using for topping up) that it was a 10/X (Can't remember whether it was Mobil or Castrol, but it was fully synthetic stuff.) Anyway I drained the oil and refilled with Mobil 15/50 and problem was resolved immediately.

The pressure was well into the red at 0.4 bar (which according to the Lotus manual is acceptable), but was getting the red warning light on every time I hit the gas pedal. Anyway after the 15/50 was added it never went below 0.8 bar (no more red light). Haven't had the problem now since August. :blink:

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

I use Mobil 1 15/50. Try to avoid 10/40 mobile 1 as this you'll find easier on shelves. Still excellent but it's a bit too thin!

Also another brand which was recommended to me by my Lotus mechanic is castrol RS10/60.

I would still use Mobile 1. I can't understand why there are so many cheap skates not willing to put decent oil in their prized possessions.. After all what's the difference in spending

I use Mobil 1 15/50. Try to avoid 10/40 mobile 1 as this you'll find easier on shelves. Still excellent but it's a bit too thin!

Also another brand which was recommended to me by my Lotus mechanic is castrol RS10/60.

I would still use Mobile 1. I can't understand why there are so many cheap skates not willing to put decent oil in their prized possessions.. After all what's the difference in spending

Simplest things first.

Lotus has done extensive testing of component wear with different popular oils. They now specify a minimum kinematic visocity at 100 deg C.

LEW has documented some of this issues.

http://www.lotusespritworld.co.uk/ETechnical/oil.html

The bottom line is that Castrol 10W/60 is Lotus recommended for the 910 engine.

Furthermore, LEW has organised a discount on Castrol oils and fluids from Demon Tweeks for LEW members.

Dermot

switching to Mobil 1 was a really good idea.

Much smoother and car runs cooler too. Hasn't yet leaked out of the engine as several people have expected it would. It also works for my motor oil fetish very nicely, but only once its dirty.

slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7

switching to Mobil 1 was a really good idea.

Much smoother and car runs cooler too. Hasn't yet leaked out of the engine as several people have expected it would. It also works for my motor oil fetish very nicely, but only once its dirty.

slade

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I run my car on Shell racing 10W60 the same oil we use in our endurance racer with good results..

It's quite cheap too , I pay about 65SEK which is about

Edited by joakim_adolfson
  • 6 months later...
How often do you guys change your oil if you are using synthetic? I am looking for number of months, not miles.

Thanks! Matt

Amsoil 20W/50 Racing oil, Have used in my turbo rotary(see sig.) for 10 years still on the same engine. I change the oil in the RX7 every 1500miles(I drive that one very hard) and every 2500 miles in the Lotus.

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

How often do you guys change your oil if you are using synthetic? I am looking for number of months, not miles.

Thanks! Matt

Personally I change the oil every six months irrespective of milage even though synthetic stuff is supposed not to break-down...

Ian

castrol 10/60

no oil pressure and overheating problems

drive the car mainly on the track with stints of 1 hour

overheating can be another problem

Bigger secondary injectors could help

SE Turbo with about 350 hp

greets Rens

researche is something i do when i don't know what the hell i'm doing