free hit
counters
Boot upholstery - Page 2 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

That explains why all my corners ended up rounded rather than square!!!.  I used a normal  brother sewing machine and it did the stitching fine although I didn't bind in leather just the normal carpet binding from woollies.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi. No, I didnt do it like this.

I used a semi industrial sewing machine, but most machines from 1980 onwards would really fit in this bracket and it was a standard foot, not walking. Getting the foot pressure and thread tensions correct were the critical parts of machine setup. 

I did buy a binding tool but that only really works for very thin material - dresses I guess! Ditched it.

The carpet is quite thin and the binding is cloth is stretchy so the pleating manouver is not required. If I get some time over the next few days, I'll post a vid of what I have learned! I've come on so far since my first attempt that I would seriously consider redoing my boot carpets. I got so cocky that I even reupholstered an entire outdoor swing seat/canopy in heavy canvas last year and it looks better than the original. Shame the winds broke the wooden bits though.....

Buddsy, the battery board is, em, board. Just thick cardboard, a little thicker than the glovebox material. Thin hardboard could work too I guess although more prone to snapping as it needs a little flex when removing/refitting.

I will sort out some kind of pattern and some pics, hopefully over the weekend if thats OK.

Simon

Photos would be great, I still have my patterns taken from your original carpet set and still not done anything with it!

Buddsy, did your Esprit have a bag or carpets originally?

Buddsy, the battery board is, em, board. Just thick cardboard, a little thicker than the glovebox material

I used Eddie Murphy's chests to replace the battery board on mine!  I picked up a  near life size cardboard cut-out of E.M.  from a DVD store when the film promotion period had finished, and using the old board as a template, set about him with a scalpel. 

• Like 1

hahahah

Chris Im not sure was it an either or thing? Actually Im guessing carpets as I got carpet where the rear lights are and on the top of the back arches. When I bought the car it didnt have the bottom boot moulding?

Simon no worries any time will be fine.

Buddsy

As far as I know my carpet is original  

The edging is this stuff (not pastic and not 'whipped') http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/p-1162-cotton-carpet-binding.aspx

There are 7 pieces of carpet (made from 9 individual pieces)  - left wheel arch (2 pieces), boot floor, vertical engine cover (2 pieces), vertical rear panel and a vertical fibreboard backed cover of the battery.  Also 2 'floors' to fuel tank covers.   Colour on mine is charcoal or anthracite - not black

NB - If anybody buys a a roll of authentic ribbed carpet in the correct colour, I'd be happy to buy a couple of metres....      

Steve I looked at the bits of carpet I have last night and my edging is like what you have there above from Wollies. The carpet looks to be like what Simon had said he used again from Wollies.

http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/p-1988-thin-ribbed-carpet.aspx

Buddsy

Here are my original carpets

IMG_2067.jpg

You can see the disadvantage of the contrast coloured binding.

Here is the carpet from woolies, 2m by 2m witha ll the boot carpet parts laid out and chalked up. (was also plenty to do the quarter light carpeted areas) Obviously, the carpet glued to the boot floor has to be removed and then un-picked to reveal the shapes.

Must be careful to lay them out the right way up and taking the grain of the type of carpet into consideration since it is ribbed and very visible.

DSCN1689_zps471b82c1.jpg

You can see the carpet that covers the battery board in the top left.

Here is the result

IMG_2655.jpg

The black binding hides dirt and poor stitching by the way!

Buddsy, you said that only part of yours needed redoing - that would give you a colour matching issue. I had this with my bulkhead carpet - I didn't want to remove that so I reglued where it was peeling away and dyed it with black carpet dye - also made the binding match what I had created.

DSCN1698_zpsa4988145.jpg

Hope that helps some!

• Like 2

Simon

That looks great. I'm stuck with the boot bag.

Chris

Great work Simon, I was going to get some made for my cars but your work has convinced me to have a go myself, just need to speak nicely to my mum who has a machine!

Think I will take her out for a top dinner on Mother's Day :)

Your carpets look better than some pro made sets I have seen and really do finish the boot area.

Buddsy, excellent video which does make it look simple enough even for a grease monkey like me! :)

Dave :)

Simon that does look ace! Like Dave I think a good boot finishes off the whole area. 

Chris cant you carpet under your boot bag? Is it a fixed item? I alway hoped to get one too?

Buddsy

Here are some images of the battery board for you Buddsy...

First, in situ

20140321_201546_zps6b1d0549.jpg

Next with overlying carpet lifted away - notice the press-studs securing the carpet on the board to the floor

20140321_201611_zps8cadfc43.jpg

Next, board removed - in the centre of the image is a small (3cm) bracket attached to the boot edge - the board sits inbetween this bracket and the boot edge

20140321_201643_zps833d5f1b.jpg

Here is the reverse on the board showing the carpet tabs glued around

20140321_202706_zps2c8f5385.jpg

And finally, here are the board measurements which should allow you to create your own board. Mine is 3-4mm thick cardboard with carpet glued to it and finally stained black as per original. Dont position the studs until its fitted!!

20140321_210440_zpsaf95a04b.jpg

Hope its a good enough resolution to read the measurements!

Simon

Looks very good.

I believe Allon White Sorts cars in Bedfordshire has the original templates for the carpets for S3.  I spoke to them once about doing me an internal set. Trouble was I was not a lottery winner!!

Cheers for that simon. Really makes sence now to me. I have 2 of those metal dangly bits hanging down but couldnt see how the board would fit. Now all is clear. 

Many thanks 

Buddsy