free hit
counters
Light at the end of the tunnel! - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Light at the end of the tunnel!

To everyone who's kept track of my adventures in new Lotus ownership, you'll be happy to hear that almost everything is sorted out. The clutch issues have been worked out, the carbs were rebuilt, the exhaust was patched up, and it's all running wonderfully.

In fact, I only seem to have one more thing left to do... I noticed that the turbo wasn't properly boosting, and after examination it seems that my turbo wastegate is shot, and the unit is only putting out about half power.

JAE Lotus has been providing myself and my mechanics with parts and invaluable advice, and they've told me that finding a good replacement wastegate would be nearly impossible to locate, and that what they've done in these situations was fit a non-wastegate turbo unit from a later model Esprit. I've also contacted MJM Turbos, who recommended this unit as a replacement:

http://www.mjmturbos.com/T3hivelocity.htm

They said that this should bolt on with minimum modification. I'm waiting for a solid recommendation from my mechanic right now, but I'm just wondering if anyone's been down this road, and what solutions they've found.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is exactly wrong with the wastegate? Is it the diaphragm, valve or valve seat? Pretty simple device and easy to fix with the right parts. That would be the determining factor on what path you are on. If it is the diaphragm, you might try companies that service small airplane turbos for a source.

http://www.qualityaa.com/products.asp?id=17

Best,

Jeff

www.espritturbo.com

Glad to see that you are finally getting there.

What was wrong with the clutch in the end?

Jeff has a good point. You may be able to repair the wastegate rather than shell out even more hundreds of dollars on a different turbo set up.

EDIT. Just read your last post in your original thread. Sounds like the clutch slave cylinder push rod was out of adjustment. I hope that wasn't the problem all along.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

EDIT. Just read your last post in your original thread. Sounds like the clutch slave cylinder push rod was out of adjustment. I hope that wasn't the problem all along.

Ha! Yeah that would really be something... I doubt it though. When it went the first time it was a fairly spectacular show of smoke and burning clutch smell, so I'm fairly certain that it died for real.

As for the wastegate, I'm more in favor of the solution that doesn't leave the car laid up for a week or two while a rebuild happens, even if it is possible. And if the potential exists for a performance improvement, all the better. I've already spent so much that an extra $1000 isn't going to make a big difference anyway at this point. But I have no idea whats wrong with it specifically... I just want the best option.

Ha! Yeah that would really be something... I doubt it though. When it went the first time it was a fairly spectacular show of smoke and burning clutch smell, so I'm fairly certain that it died for real.

As for the wastegate, I'm more in favor of the solution that doesn't leave the car laid up for a week or two while a rebuild happens, even if it is possible. And if the potential exists for a performance improvement, all the better. I've already spent so much that an extra $1000 isn't going to make a big difference anyway at this point. But I have no idea whats wrong with it specifically... I just want the best option.

buy the parts and i will come to manhatten with tools and rebuild the wastegate for ya,,,,beers are on you,,,i,m not kidding,,,,kenny

There's a company in the UK called PNM engineering that will refurb wastegates for the Esprit for a considerable amount less than a new part, as far as I can remember! Just might have to do without your baby for a while. As far as I'm aware driving with a dicky wastegate could have some pretty dire consequences in some situations!!

http://www.pnmengineering.com/