free hit
counters
Made it home Part 2 - The Lotus Forums 'Factory Frolic' 2009 - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
superdavelotus

Made it home Part 2

I too had car trouble which wasn't due to Lotus reliability issues (mine's been a very reliable car). One of my O2 sensors blew out when overtaking a load of cars on full boost. My Cats had been off a few times in previous weeks and the O2 sensor threads were looking a bit tired. Anyway, I was assured by a reliable sourced that they would be fine.

120 miles away from hotel and I broke down with problem. Hobbled remainder of journey to hotel carpark where I spoke to Bibs. As it happens, Sparky had a wire kit with him. Why he would pack such an item is a mystery but I am sure glad he did!

After the convoy left for Cromer, I had a go of securing the O2 sensor back in by forming two loops and tightening it up. It took about 15-20 mintues to get it right. Worked a treat and Robert and I were both on our way to Cromer to catch the others up. Got to Cromer about 2 mintutes after the others arrived which was pretty good going. I put the temporary repair through it's paces on the way and it held up fine!

On Sunday, I also gave it some abuse around the track on the back straight. I am pleased to say it made it all the way home in one piece. O2 sensor is still held in place!

A big thanks to Sparky who came to my rescue. Without him, I wouldn't have been able to go to Cromer. I also would have been going home on a low loader so another big thanks for avoiding this too.

I had planned on leaving it until Sunday and simply buying a new O2 sensor from Lotus. Good job I didn't because Lotus weren't allowed to sell any parts on the day that hadn't been booked out the previous day. All their computers were off and there was no way of booking any parts out.

So lucky I was able to fix it in the Saturday.

It was nice to finally meet you as well!

Many thanks,

David Walters

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Happy days mate

Glad you got her home without trouble. I too wonder why Sparky kept such a tool in his boot.

What does he get up to when he's out on his own? God only knows!

Chunky Lover

not sure of the technical terms but it's a reel of stainless wire (I think) and a plier set which works similar to a spiral screwdriver but opposite way around. You clamp the two pieces of wire into the jaws of the pliers then pull a handle and the end of the pliers spin around to wind the wire around to tighten it up. Let go of the handle to allow it to spiral back to base then pull again. Really simple but good piece of kit!

David Walters

Its a lock wire kit, mostly used to secure nuts and bolts on competition cars etc....

safetywirekit.jpg

The lockwire is threaded through the head of pre drilled bolts in the pattern shown below

3936712837_20e78ea3a5.jpg

If at any time either bolt tries to undo itself, rattle loose etc.. the wire is attached as such that it applies a tightening force on the opposing bolt, thus it is unable to work loose in any way.

It is also used in other applications such as holding the thermal wraps to exhausts and turbos.

Just found this useful guide :whistle:Clicky

It is very useful stuff as Dave found out, it uses are only limited by the ability of ones mind :cry:

Chunky Lover

The wirelock pliers are not an essential part of the process........ All you actually need is the wire. You can put the requisite twists in it by hand, as we had to do when we were apprentices, the pliers just make life easier. If you don't have wirelock pliers, then gripping the wires with ordinary pliers works too.... it's just a lot more tedious.

As Dave will be able to verify (without mentioning any company names) the pliers Sparky was using have seen lots of action on aircraft before I retired, at which point I found them in my toolbox when I got home and it was too late to repatriate them.... shame.

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.<br />

<br />

In practice, there is!

Impressed it's still holding, Dave! No idea why I packed the kit, but glad it came in useful. Actually, as above, it belongs to Chris, so now I have to explain why I've used lots of his wire. Gulp.

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.