free hit
counters
Dry sump - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
richardvg

Dry sump

Hi Guys

does anyone know the basic principles of the dry sump system , how it works and how to check the oil level.

kindly advise as i am attempting to diagnose low oil pressure for a friend and would appreciate the help.

richard

Technically sound ...Theoretically poked !

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It works by having two pumps 9althought they are on one shaft), one to pull all available oil from the "sump" which then deposits it in the tank, the second draws from the tank and supplies the engine. That way yuo don't suffer with oil starvation to the supply pump during heavy cornering, or the reason Lotus did it was to allow a flat-ish sump thus stronger and the block doesn't twist under the torque which was much higher than the original sumps and block was designed to take.

I'm sure there's a write up of how to tests the level, on here, possibly posted by Dodgy, but I think it involves testing when running or within a set period of time after running. Never had a dry-sump Esprit, and considering the cost of the pump, don't currently want to have one even though they are nicer as the shorter engine allows the engine to be mounted lower and the body& chassis to be set lower.

On the dry sump engine there are 2 oil pumps. The scavenge pump and oil scavenge manifold are located at bottom sump level (on the RHS of the engine) - the drive for this is an individual cogged belt driven from the crank pulley. Oil from the sump is pumped via the oil cooler into the oil header tank. The main engine oil pump is located in front of the distributor and is driven via a shaft/sprocket from the main cambelt.

If I remember correctly the oil level is checked 2 minutes after turning off the engine using the dipstick on the oil header tank. I will check this info though.

At rest the oil drains from the header tank via a hose into the engine dry sump. On start up the scavenge pump clears this and dry sump condition quickly returns.

Hope I got that right.

Last post edited to say - oil level should be checked WITHIN 2 minutes of engine switch off.

thank guys

i am hoping to see john today and hopefully we can find out why he has no oil pressure .pray it is minor

thank you

richard

Technically sound ...Theoretically poked !